1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Ariana Grande Collaboration Event! 1/19

Discussion in 'Old News & Events' started by Sapphire, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub

Cherub Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Fina
    Lets not forget Koda Kumi singing for Yuna in Final Fantasy X.
    Koda Kumi being now one of Japan's most iconic pop stars....

And Final Fantasy 13's theme song is performed by Leona Lewis, a very famous British singer.

And Final Fantasy 15's theme is of course, Florence and the Machine's "Stand by Me".

Soooo almost all of the modern Final Fantasy games have hugely famous stars doing songs for each new game. ::coffee::

2. IIBass88II

IIBass88II New Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Santa Roselia
    I am wondering (since I am relative new to this game): This will be a collab/banner of only one unit?

3. Cherub

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Fina
    We don't know yet.

It could be a banner with just Ariana as the main unit but who even knows who they'd fill out the rest of the banner with???

Or, (I personally think this will be the route they take) this will be an event where, after completing one of the stages of the event, you will receive the Dangerous Ariana unit as a reward.
    They've done this before with Maxwell as a reward during the Brave Frontier event, which, obviously, is also a non-Final Fantasy crossover collab event.

4. Gorz

Gorz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Cecil, Delita,Noctis
    If that happens I won't be able to get the unit just like Maxwell

5. Cherub

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Fina
    I couldnt get Maxwell either at the time my units just weren't cut out for it.

But I honestly doubt they will make the Ariana quest just as hard as Maxwell, since this afterall is to attract new users to the game.

I could be wrong though. It all depends on how OP they want to make her unit I suppose.
    I could be entirely wrong about the whole thing regardless so LOL

If I can't beat the mission I will spend literally ANY amount of retries with lapis to get her!
    I HAVE to have Ari..... like if I don't get her through however she is acquired during the event.... I will probably...
    1. spend some money for the first time to get some lapis to keep trying for her
    2. I will literally quit this game outright in pure salty rage... ::joy::

6. Gorz

Gorz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Cecil, Delita,Noctis
    If they did do that it be with no continues They loving making people work hard

7. Maverickbp

Maverickbp VIP VIP

And this is precisely the reason they're doing this collaboration. Anyone who still questions why just read this post :)

Maybe there will be a way to cheese her like ppl could with maxwell to easily obtain her.

8. Jman1115

Jman1115 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    338 898 279
    Leads:
    Noctis
    The issue is about FF becoming a walking advertisement for the REAL WORLD and Gumi plastering advertisements all over the game. This type of action taken by the company is not in the interest of the fans, it is in the interest of lining their pockets. You see good things ruined by greed all the time. If you don't think Gumi are profiting big time off of this, you are putting your blinders up. I don't think this one event will ruin final fantasy, but injecting real world people and advertisements into a fictional fantasy universe takes away from the fantasy. It is akin to putting Samuel L Jackson as a character in Lord of the Rings. It is just weird and sticks out. When you take away from the things that make a universe itself in an effort to expand your audience aka your profits, it just sucks. If it is a one time thing or whatever, fine. But if this becomes the norm because Gumi realize there is more money in these type of advertisements, the game will lose its appeal. I play for the Final Fantasy experience, not to see what popstar is willing to pay them for advertisement next.

That said, the song was well done and they seem to be putting effort into making this as "normal" as possible.

Having known singers sing songs for games is WAY different from actually putting the singer in the game. It was especially off-putting to open up my pixel based fantasy game to have a giant picture of Arianna Grande pop up at me. Just weird. Like I said, won't ruin the game, but takes away from the fantasy piece and throws one off like bad CGI can pull you out of a great movie. End of the day, I just don't want this to be a regular thing they pursue. I am sure once in awhile they can pull it off tastefully. I'd rather them stick to the FF focus and crossover events

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Adenascht likes this.
  9. Yilun

Yilun Well-Known Member

Most of the self-proclaimed "FF purists" who are nerd-raging at Ariana Grande are missing a simple, key point. You are operating under the assumption that Square Enix and/or Gumi has actually built the game for the sole purpose of creating a bubble of pure FF-immersion and would never ruin the integrity of that bubble in effort to cater specifically to you guys. Unfortunately, that is a completely "out-of-touch-with-reality" assumption and is just flat out wrong.

The bottom line is, the gaming developer has created this game for one purpose and one purpose only. Money. And I think both sides can agree that a boatload of that will be made when her collab unit drops.

Let's be real here, mobile IAP RPG games have a peak shelf-life of what.... 5 years, if that? And that is assuming a very well-made game, like FFBE is. Sure, they used Final Fantasy's world as a backdrop to create their game because they know the huge amount of loyal and passionate fans that the FF franchise has across the globe. The allure of the FF world, in it of itself, is what easily propelled this game into stardom in the first place. But make no mistake, Square Enix did not simply make FFBE so that all of us can just statically bask in the glory of FF nostalgia forever. They made it as a profit engine. And if this comes as a shock to alot of you younger gamers, business will always trump nostalgia.

Call it what you will, that's just the truth of the industry. In other words, the gaming developer will always choose profit margin over everything else. If they have the incredible opportunity to have Ariana Grande (an internet sensation) on one hand about to willingly collab with them and potentially raise their playerbase by, let's say, 10% and a bunch of "FF purists" on the other complaining about ruining the "immersion-factor"...... from a business perspective, are we seriously going to even have a debate on which one they will choose?

What's next you ask? Perhaps Justin Beiber? Perhaps Beyonce? The truth is.... possibly? There is nothing that prevents a gaming developer who has intellectual property licenses to do whatever they want with the game if they feel like that will garner more downloads, players and ultimately bottom line. If that leaves a sour taste in your mouth, then consider switching games or not playing FFBE if you don't want to support the cause. But for some reason, these "purists" are coming across with a self-entitled stance like "how dare anyone even mention the idea of soiling the sacred grounds of our FF-world".... as if this was your sacred ground to begin with....

The truth of the matter is, while I'm not a terribly huge fan of Ariana Grande and I have been a huge fan of FF series my entire life, this move doesn't really surprise me one way or the other. A gaming company trying whatever angle it takes to increase playerbase and potential revenue streams should be about as common as the tobacco company trying to convince you that cigarettes are safe.

KoS, architect, Cherub and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jman1115

Jman1115 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    338 898 279
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Nobody is operating under that assumption. People realize exactly what Gumi is doing. They are doing what all businesses doing today in our wonderful greed driven society. THey are looking to make as much money as possible no matter what. Just because this is a reality, doesn't mean people have to be happy and okay with it. People are allowed to be upset with decisions made by companies. THe companies DO cater to their fans. The fans are who make them money. A businesses job is to give people something they want to make money.

However, today, once something gets popular that focus on the fans and consumers takes a backseat to advertising, sponsors and selling out as there is more money in that for less work.

This isn't about being self-entitled or purists. Any fan of anything would be irritated at something like this. If suddenly someone made a new entry into Lord of the Rings and had people time travel to the year 2016 or threw Justin Beiber as a character in the movie, people would be upset. It sucks when something you love is potentially ruined by greed of a company.

THat said, this specific event shouldn't ruin the game. They also seem to have done a nice job with the music video and I think the character integration looks to be a decent fit. If this becomes the norm however, it would have far less appeal as a game and I would likely drop it at some point. I have no interest in trying to pull the next pop star. I have an interest in collecting Final Fantasy characters. Hence why I downloaded a Final Fantasy game and not American Idol Fantasy RPG.

Anyone who believes this is somehow going to attract all kinds new fans doesn't understand casual players. This is not a casual player game. There is too much complexity for most people to get a serious interest in it for long. Especially if they are going to pay the ridiculous charges that Gumi has for Lapis. Gumi is doing this because they are getting money for the easy advertisement and PR they are giving to Arianna Grande. She has more potential to gain new fans through this than the other way around. She is being exposed and advertised to millions of people.

End of the day, this is not the end of the world if this is a once in a while thing. If this becomes the norm and we get flooded with real world celebs, that ruins the appeal to many of the current fans. Very few fans however, will end up leaving the game over this one event in reality.

Adenascht and Andoria like this.
  11. IIBass88II

IIBass88II New Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Santa Roselia
    Hurry up people...we have to make sure all this people never play any Kingdom Hearts...they will find that those games are the worst piece of shit ever.

Sparkle likes this.
  12. Andoria

Andoria Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I think people are over-exaggerating on this subject, I don't think Gumi will ever pull another move like this one. We don't even know why they did it, the safest assumption imo is because they remixed one of her songs to include it in the game and as a result they decided to include her as a unit, obviously to make people download the game. I don't see a reason for Gumi to do this again in the future, probably because they won't include other themes with actual celebrities.

13. Andoria

Global ID:
    Are you a KH hater or is that irony?

14. IIBass88II

IIBass88II New Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Santa Roselia
    I think you missed the context of the reply ::sorry::

15. Andoria

Global ID:
    Well, you said those people would find KH games the worst piece of shit, so unless I misunderstood you, I think it is pretty clear that you think KH games are crap and I'd like to know why you feel that way.

16. Requius

Requius New Member

I was drunk.

Rinny likes this.
  17. Yilun

Yilun Well-Known Member

You make reasonable points and I do not disagree. However, I think you are quite simply over-estimating these so-called fanatics in the FFBE community population here. One glance on Reddit, BE forums and other forums and there is obviously a common theme here. A large handful of people are, in fact, operating under these assumptions. You have people on Reddit talking about having their "safespace" ruined. I find that preposterous. Especially when they go on to make claims such as "if you do not agree with me then you can't call yourself a true FF fan".

Bottom line, I have no problem with folks disagreeing with this move and voicing their opinions on it. I'm not a fan of the move, but I do agree that it is a brilliant marketing strategy and accept the fact that I will still continue to play FFBE even if Ariana Grande is in the game because I never once signed up to play this game with the operating assumption that it will forever remain my nostalgic cyber-haven safespace that nobody is allowed to touch. Gaming developers will sell out more often than not in order to meet bottom line as you eluded to, which I 100% agree.

But to see people on crusades vying for petitions to overturn this collab is beyond childish to me and is very different from simply "being disappointed and disagreeing with the move". That is going above and beyond. And for them to think that petitioning and pitch-forking will help overturn Ariana Grande from entering in the game is delusional (and to me, breeds an air of self-righteousness and entitlement). And for them to turn around and to suggest that if I'm not 100% in favor of their childish ways, that I must not be a true gamer or a FF series fan.... well let's just say that is quite out of touch with reality.

Cherub and Jman1115 like this.
  18. IIBass88II

IIBass88II New Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Santa Roselia
    I was talking about the fact that if people are making such a scandal because in a FF movil game, a singer is going to be turn into a unit if they play Kingdom hears and reach pirates of the caribbean or tron they will probably flip out.
    I don´t hate KH or love it...I play some of the PS1 and GBA and had my good time.

19. Andoria

Global ID:
    I get what you are trying to say, but KH was always a Disney & Final Fantasy crossover to begin with, having it's own original characters as well. So if you are going to play KH, you already know what to expect from it. However, people are making such a fuss because they believe Gumi will implement this strategy more than once in the future (they don't have back up facts to defend this position, yet the point is to whine about it) in a game which shouldn't have anything to do with irl people. And I consider myself a fan of KH, so at first I thought you were dissing about it and got slightly mad about it, but everything is fine now :)

Jman1115 likes this.
  20. Cherub

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Fina
    Lol this is one of the most casual Final Fantasy games to ever be released not sure where you're going with that. It literally plays itself.

Using a celebrity is in-fact exactly how you get "casual gamers" to play your game though. Because those people aren't actively searching for the next good game. They aren't doing their research on games and they probably don't consider games to be a big part of their life.

Sure they aren't going to go so far as to figure out top tier unit configurations and TM farm but look how much money games like Candy Crush make entirely on a base of "casual gamers". They spend money, an insane amount of money. Mainly because, like I said before, they aren't very educated/researched on video games themselves and don't realize they are getting ripped off. But that's an entirely different conversation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.