1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Damage Calculation? Ignore def vs Elemental Resistance

Discussion in 'General' started by vcrisant13, Jan 10, 2017.

1. vcrisant13

vcrisant13 Active Member Supporter

Can anyone give me the complete formula for physical damage calculation? I'm trying to figure out how elemental resistance factors into the equation.

Basically, is an ignore def atk (Cut Through) better than doing an Imperil followed by an Elemental Weapon Attack? For instance:

A) Cut through x2
    B) Imperil then Barrage x2 but with an elemental weapon

Which would have a higher damage output assuming all stats are the same?

2. Childish0ne

Childish0ne Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza
    Using this damage calculator http://ffbe.kongbakpao.com/damage-calculator/ with the charature being lvl 100, having an attack of 400, and the mob's def being 280. Here's the jist:

A) Cut Through - Average Damage 35500, that's factoring in the 25% damage mitigation. So 2x would be about 71000
    B) Barrage - Average Damage 34000, So 2x would be 68000. But the calculator doesn't take inpart Imperial which is a 20% elemental reduction and an elemental weapon. The damage formula for elemental resistance: Damage = Initial Damage * (1 - Elemental Resistance). So if elemental resist is 0% before Imperial, then the damage from Barrage could would be *1.20, making the total damage output being 81600.

Barrage + Imperial would win by almost 10k worth of damage. But, the same could be said of Cut Through + Imperial; the damage would be 85600 getting out about 4k more damage.

Killerdemon likes this.
  3. Sustainer

Sustainer Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    One other thing to keep in mind, after your first 2-3 hits of Barrage, there is virtually no further chainability possible. Cut Through as a chain finisher/thrown in the middle of a chain will blow barrage out of the water.

People need to move on - Barrage was great in the early days, but 6* units with lvl100 attacks far exceed anything from barrage - even if the multipliers seem lower than the 320% from barrage.

Childish0ne likes this.
  4. Childish0ne

Childish0ne Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza
    When I first started, it was a great way to deal a lot of dmg early on in the game. Hell, my first barrage user was Artemois, and he was a beast. Now, I have pretty decent barrage users in my party, but I find myself rarely using the skill. Now, in current meta barrage still has its place, but like @Sustainer said "chain-ability" isn't there in my current party set up.

5. Sustainer

Sustainer Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    If one has better options Barrage is never the answer anymore.

If Barrage is the best you have by all means use it.

The game has gone through a few shifts with meta mechanics.

• Initially Barrage was the shiznit - Bartz/Chizuru/Luna TM were the go to units - 320% damage attack - yes plz
    • FFT event brought around the 4-5 Blizzaga element chain thing, this seemed to last for a few events, but eventually low base stats on units, low # of hits and poor scaling of aga abilities hampered this
    • 6* "ultimate" attacks became the next popular thing, combine weapon elements with chains and fun things start to happen
    • Chaining genesis. Where we sit now, Chizuru was the first of the fantastic chaining units - underrated by a lot still due to being "Not 5* base" but 2x Chizuru chaining Phantom shadow with an elemental weapon results in a ~235% elemental chain multiplier - giving way to an effective 658% multiplier on her Phantom Shadow over the standard 280% as seen on her character sheet.
    • Chaining evolved. Orlandu - we will be seeing this in 3 weeks from this Friday (Ideally) - More hits, stronger attack AND an elemental debuff applied to the said attack. This is when we start seeing 1800% damage modifiers on a single attack, sustainable, fast, easy to utilize.
    Barrage is an awful option for chaining - it still works, but its damage pales in comparison to a bit of squad tweaking/synergy. Again as said, if you have nothing better feel free to use it, but at this stage, one should have more 6* units available to them and not look at the 5* units that are long forgotten.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. Sorwen

Sorwen Well-Known Member

You also have to think Cut Through on Luneth vs Barrage on who? If Luneth that would likely mean dropping a 10/20/30% ATK materia. That is then on top of as Sustainer says the fact that it is eaier to mid/end chain Cut Through while it is much harder to sync Barrage past the first two attacks. Barrage on someone else would then depend on their stats vs Luneth. He isn't the highest, but pretty close. Chizuru is only a little higher, but has worse weapon selection and while DKC is the same he looses a materia slot to DW or Accessory slot to Genji Glove.

The whole picture is why Barrage has become second tier to other damage attacks. It can still help turn some units into decent ones, but only useful you lack the better units to being with. Someone like Chizuru with innate has better attacks now in most situations because of chaining. And some times you just need the other abilities the unit can do(CoD). Some players have no good choice except Barrage, but anyone starting out now should have the better options(or should reroll till they do).

As to exact damage calculations so you can figure each nuance on your own, I think it was the wiki that had a good breakdown of most of the games formulas.