1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Esper Math: How It Truly Works

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Jet Stingren, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    So, I see people who're not big fans on investing into stat nodes for Espers which honestly imo isn't the best thing to do, I agree getting the more important abilities is a must to help benefit your character, but the stat nodes are just as important. In this post, I'm gonna explain why this is important.

As we already know, Espers give our units 1% of their stats. I know that sounds terribly low, but you'll see that it's actually not that bad!

By running math, I have gathered that Espers for every 100 of their stat gives your unit +1 in their stat. I've tested this on my units and the result has been the same. For every 100 stat in total for a esper basically is a +1 for your unit here's a example.

[​IMG]
    Now we see my fully maxed Golem if the math is truly correct then the stats given to a unit would be the following.

HP: +64
    MP: +43
    ATK: +33
    DEF: + 48
    MAG: +16
    SPR: +16

In my build of Golem, I went for all the HP/ATK/DEF nodes, as well as Provoke, Cover, and Last Stand as my main abilities of choice. Now, if the math is correct let's test it.

[​IMG]
    Now this is my Warrior of Light, minus his esper. If we give him Golem let's see if the boosts are completely true.

[​IMG]
    As you can see there, the stats are correct. Everything has added up to the numbers that I pulled from Golems stats. This was just a small post to remind you all the going for their stat nodes at least the main ones will go a long way as every 100 is a free boost and you wanna try to get as many as possible.

Loptr, jk2456, Suzaku and 3 others like this.
  2. Vash426

Vash426 VIP VIP Supporter

I knew this but this is great for newer players or players who say to ignore stat buffs and gun for abilities only. To me espers are pretty much like a second set of gear equipped on each unit because of the huge bumps they add to stats. I don't even care about their in game summons as what they do is weaker than what my units can. It's all about the stat bumps to me.

3. S3PHIR0TH

S3PHIR0TH You need more HP :3 VIP Supporter

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight | Tidus
    Can you make a guide on evoking espers? Because my espers do really bad damage. Is there something missing?

4. Vash426

Unfortunately there is nothing missing. It is just they way they were built. There is no way to increase their damage. Their damage is just quickly outclassed by units because the Espers where neglected in this regard and not increased to match the growth of the game difficulty with time. Basically they were left behind when it comes to evoking.

JChunks likes this.
  5. Vash426

Here is a perfect example of what I mean.....
    https://exviuswiki.com/Ifrit

Look at this:
    Element Summon Magic Effects
    [​IMG] Hellfire 1[​IMG] Fire Damage (900) to all enemies.
    2[​IMG] Fire Damage (1,900) to all enemies

Straight from the wiki. That is the damage on evoking. Straight weak sauce. It is a set amount and weak numbers at that. This is something I think should be changed. It should be a base damage of say.... 1* 900 + their Magic Attack number (1200 at 1*). Or have it based off of the unit it is tied to. So say their MAG or SPR influences the overall strength of the attack. Like how the "GA" spells are a 1.8 x of what the base stat it is run off of (MAG). So with gear and abilities that number can change. It is an increase of the base stat attack at an increase of 1.8 x and gear influences that. However the Evoking damage is stagnant and set at a base number with zero multipliers or means to grow with efforts by the players. I mean a jump of 1k damage between 1 and 2 star is not much either and there is no other way to influence it. Not that evoking is needed but in every incarnation of FF games ever saving up to summon an Esper was to do really strong damage to the enemies that units themselves could not achieve until true endgame. Not something achieved after a few days of grinding levels with ease. Summoning Espers after building up that stupid bar (that only seems to fill in explorations) and then for it to just be some crappy effect is a waste of a game element. Poor implementation. If I build up a bar and pass on using Hyperdrive or barrage then I want an impressive effect. Not 900 damage vs my 100k damage (Kefka) with my LB. Just my two cents.

jk2456 likes this.
  6. Aysatyo

Aysatyo Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Yes, they add 1% stat on the units.. but the real question is, how much did the max level esper give without stat boost compared to the max level esper gives with stat boost.. is it really that big of a difference to consider spending SP to stat boost or nodes? Let's take for example golem's hp stat. His base stat is 5500 hp. But with all hp boost stats, he will have 6400 hp. Meaning, if you dont go for hp boost stats/nodes, your golem will just add +55 hp to your unit. But if you go for all hp boost stats, your golem will give +64 hp to your unit. That's only 9 points difference.. if you ask me, that's not really worth the SP.. Just my thought..

7. kurizu

kurizu Cuddle Cuddle <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Noctis | JP 2B
    125|95
    If you speak about HP yeah, 9 point hp difference seems not worth putting SP on it, but any others stats are worth boosting... well of course you need to consider if amount is right... i.e giving 120 SP points to Ifrit will give him either 220 def (+2 for us), or if you use 60 SP on 45 mag and another 60SP 35 spr you gain literally nothing because they dont even let you pass another 100 since it looks like calculations are made by dividing by 100 and take floor result.

8. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    @Aysatyo: Why would you not invest in the HP though in Golems case I mean? Since Golem is slotted for tanks, and support units it's great for you to get as much HP as you possibly can for better survivability imo. If I didn't go for the HP nodes my WoL wouldn't be at 4997 HP look how close that is to 5K HP? You know what I mean? I honestly think that Provoke, Cover, Last Stand, and the Slayer effects are the main things to grab from Golem the other abilities don't seem that niche for me to use.

9. Aysatyo

Global ID:
    Its not teally just about hp. I just make that as an example because it seems to be the highest +stats on the grid of golem. If you look at all espers' SP grid, none of them gives a really big boosts. That's why IMO focusing on getting spells and abilities on esper's grid is more beneficial than just aiming for +stats. And also, i think in the future, espers will have 3* so better save some SP. Although i also heard that there will be a something like reset button on these SP points that can be purchased in the future.

10. Aysatyo

Global ID:
    Jet, if you didnt go for +hp stats on golem, your WoL will have 4988 hp instead of 4997 hp you have now. How much is the difference? 9 points. Just 9 points.. that's basically what im trying to say..

11. Aysatyo

Global ID:
    The +hp stats are on the way to get cover and provoke, so you really will get them, but my point is not just for +hp but for all +stat boost. If there's no other thing on the way besides +stats, then might as well go for other routes.

12. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    @Aysatyo: It does to me tbh, every little stat counts when you're trying to make your role the best you can. Who knows, the 9 HP might save you. I've seen weirder things happen in games like this.

Aysatyo likes this.
  13. damevi

damevi Guest

I actually regret that I followed the most popular opinion on Espers which is prioritizing skills. Of course you would want skills like Provoke, Osmose or X Killers but e.g. Fira//Barfire/Faith/Brace of Ifrit seems kinda unecessary for me and I actually regret going for them...I've never used any of those skills as Phy att equipped with Ifrit, I always have (and probably will) a better option. I used Deprotect up to a point where I got WoL with Full Break, then I forgot about that skill forever and would love to reset the stats just to get some more att or sth