1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Final Fantasy 7 an Oral History

Discussion in 'General' started by KWFFBE, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KWFFBE

KWFFBE Well-Known Member

Stahn, Nafarian, Sorwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Ling, Seven, Tilith, Light, Rikku, etc
    Wow, thank you for sharing. Such an awesome team of developers. Well done write-up. :) I'm seriously considering printing this for long term reading.

3. Tetsuro

Tetsuro Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    I put this up a few days ago in the Random section, I wasn't sure it was ok to put it here.

Really interesting stuff, especially about the early version with NYC and Detective Joe, and the plans to kill off all the characters except whoever was in your last party.

Sapphire likes this.
  4. Sorwen

Sorwen Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Knew a lot of that, but there were some new. I don't remember hearing that FF7 was stopped for Chrono Trigger. Great game and FF7 sounds like it turned out for the better for the delay/restart.

5. Stahn

Stahn Well-Known Member Supporter

“Eventually Square’s stock went public, and Sakaguchi-san and people on the management side had to focus hard on the financial goals they had to reach, the unit numbers that they had to hit,” says Uematsu.

I see what's happening with ffbe here. Fair enough tho.

6. Sorwen

Sorwen Well-Known Member

Not really. Many of the people then are not there now or have kind of tickled back into other roles. What we see now has always been more an Enix thing. Square was a creative pushed company where Enix was more a numbers pushed company.

The thing left out of the article is that when Square went public Sony bought a lot of stock eventually getting a large chunk(I heard majority once or twice, but not sure if that is true or not). There were some issues later between Square and Sony. Rumor was something about the movie and I think the follow up games. However, Square then decided to gain back more control so they started looking other companies. Enix wasn't the only one they looked at, but they were the one to promise(I assume among other things) enough shares in Enix that between them they cut Sony's shares by quite a bit.

That was when Sakaguchi left. Notice in the article how they said even after the failure they were solvent and Sakaguchi says the movie wasn't real reason why he left but because things were changing. It was rumored fall out at the way Enix wanted to handle things. Ultimately the core of Square left.

Sorry long winded way of saying that what happened there isn't an indication of what is happening now. Its been a thing has been happening since Square quit being Square Soft.

7. Stahn

Stahn Well-Known Member Supporter

Np. Its nicer to know their bit of history here as I don't have any idea at all.