1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

[Guide] How To Correctly Apply Buffs

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Jet Stingren, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    This may seem as simple & easy on paper. But, there's a few things you may wanna know before you just throw a buff and think you're all set to protect yourself, and or deal more damage. So, this is how you want to properly apply your buffs or in a better sense how your buffs work in battle. For Importance, on buffs in the game please visit here: Buff & Debuff Importance!

So, let's take a look at all stats in the game.

ATK: Can be boosted by Cheer & Brave etc.
    DEF: Can be boosted by Protect etc
    MAG: Can be boosted by Faith etc
    SPR: Can be boosted by Shell etc

Basically, if you've read the guide on importance of buffing you should understand this by now. However, there's some things I didn't cover that can make a difference in battle so be wary of the issues that may happen as explained below.

I - Buffs Don't Stack: Yes, no buffs even SELF buffs do not stack from applied buffs this is even true when using items that grant a user a effect i.e. Auto-Protect. What ends up happening is the most highest buff takes over, if the buff is any lower than the buff that is trying to be overwritten then it would be ignored. Like this for example.

Exdeath: Auto-Protect Active + Protect Spell being used = Not being overwritten
    Exdeath: Auto-Protect Active + Protectga being used = Auto-Protect overwritten

As you can see, higher buffs will take over the users the stat while the other is discarded. If the user has a ability, or equip that grants them a auto buff instead of the buff being completely wiped when the duration is up it will revert back to the abilities / equips buff.

II: Debuffed While Buffed: In future content, or PvP Arena you'll run into instances where you'll be debuffed while your buffs are still active so how does this work exactly? Basically, the debuff takes the % amount away as it's supposed to but if you have a higher buff than the debuff your stats won't decrease from their base. Let's explain shall we?

Vaan: Cheer (40% ATK/DEF Buff Active) + Power Break (From Enemy) = 25% Boost to ATK/40% DEF left over.

As you can see there, Vaan lost some of the buff but him having Cheer on didn't make his attacks from base weaker. I wonder tho, if the buff is stronger to put me in the negative what will happen? Basically, it would put you at neutral stats if you had something like auto-shell, and then was deshelled by a enemy the +20% you had would be put back into 0. If the enemy had deshellga then you'd be a -20% in SPR instead of the full -40%

Just remember, buffs cannot stack, and remember the factors that are played when fighting hard enemies and you should be all fine.

2. SomaFFB

SomaFFB New Member

Stupid question... Do buffs apply to overall stats or base stats for units?

3. Xshock

Xshock Active Member

I think it overall.

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Ascended Member

If you do a debuffs version, pls mention disease w/debuffs.

Great post.

5. Sparkle

Sparkle Ascended Member

Base stats. You can see unit stats during fights. Notice an Emboldened Gilga does not have 1200 atk.

6. SummonerBWM

SummonerBWM Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Can we see if Noctis' Cover and Rosa's Bless stack in term of restoring MP though? They only restore MP and not to boost stats so I am curious.

WindFox likes this.