1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

[Guide] Unit Versatility

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Jet Stingren, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Have you ever wondered how a unit could ever be one of more roles at once in a battle? I'm sure you've seen some interesting builds from characters and probably wondered how does that work exactly? Well, I am gonna explain in full about how a unit can be versatile in many given situations depending on the content that is ahead.

So first, what does the word Versatile even mean?:[Definition] able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.

Know you know what that means, so let's get started shall we?

With FFBE, we can be awfully creative when it comes to unit builds, and that's what I like about this game is the fact that no real unit doesn't feel flat if you provide the time in trying to make that unit more unique, and creative most problems even with units in the game can be fixed by Trust Masteries which is pretty cool to say the least. But, how Jet? How can we make said unit unique for upcoming content? It's very simple actually you need to know the following before you start trying to think ahead of what you wanna turn your unit into the most recommended things you should know is.

- Unit's Learnset, and any stat boosts they have,
    - Weapon & Armor equipment selection.
    - Level of Magic Affinity [Optional]

Many players when they come to the game, and see a unit they think this unit is good for 1 role and 1 role alone. Most of the time this claim is true, but as I am about to show you there is different ways it can work let me give you a example.

[​IMG]
    MAG Affinity (5*): Black Magic Level 8, Green Magic Level 5, White Magic Level 7
    Weapons: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shields: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Armors & Helms: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stat Boosts: MP +20%, MAG +30%
    When you see a Exdeath, 10/10 of them are offensive builds. But, what if you wanted him to be a little more... you guessed it versatile. I can give a example right now on a completely different Exdeath build despite by first, and learnpool wise he doesn't look like it. I'm gonna post it below, but for the sake of this being a example I won't go all in depth w location cause it's a example just getting the idea across.

[​IMG]
    Weapon: Rune Staff
    Shield: Thunder Shield
    Helm: Iron Helm
    Armor: Brigandine
    Accessory 1: Cat's Bell
    Accessory 2: Jeweled Ring
    Materia 1: Cura
    Materia 2: Barthundara
    Materia 3: Barblizzara
    Materia 4: Barfira
    What is this? A supporting Exdeath? Yeah, see this is what I mean in terms of versatility by this build above I was able to flip the main class of exdeath which is a DPS Mage, to a support unit. Now to ask where I could use this build to have a edge? Why not.. Against Demon Chimera right? Since he attacks with all three elements which you have bar spells for. With this, Exdeath would on normal situations be classified as useless for the trial cause of Demon Chimera immunities to all of Exdeaths main spells. But with this build he's not useless anymore as he acts as a valuable support to your shield aiding in shields, and backup heals alongside your main healer. Ain't that cool, right? You didn't even need Cerius please. :p

See what I mean now? Building a very unique unit to help combat the trials, and hard content ahead will be great and it even sometimes removes the need for specific units if you can get the stuff that is needed for that unit. I want you all the next time you look at a unit, see what you can make outta it make sure it has the potential to work and has the ability to help aid you in content.

That's all for now guys, I hope you enjoyed learning about something cool!

Jose and Rinny like this.
  2. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

You talk about versetility, but with only one example this thread would be named.. versetile exdeath build instead.
    Would be better if you add versetile group comp also.

3. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    It's what we call a example, to get the general idea that a unit doesn't necessarily have to be locked to one role. I'm not gonna do a whole team that's just overdoing it. I could've swore a guide is made by explaining how something works, and it's possible benefit to the readers. This is not a advertised Exdeath build, I have my own sub section where I made builds for people who ask, or whenever I feel like flexing my brain.

4. Aysatyo

Aysatyo Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Not all units can be versatile. So it is also important to know first what your unit are capable of and what they are not.. To be more accurate, im talking about magic afinity and materia slots. Like for example, kefka and golbez are mages who can only learn black magic. So you cant give them cura (maybe possible if you give them healing staff, but i wouldn't recommend that). Cerius can only learn green magic, so she have to rely on weapons too to give her other magic affinity. And about Materia Slot, for now CoD and Garland dont have materia slot, you have to wait for their 6* awaken for that to be available. So even though they are capabe of wielding other magic affinity, you won't be able to give them that because there are no slot to put it to.

5. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh

6. Jose

Jose Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    I needed the ExDeath thing. Thanks! :D

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Well-Known Member

Great work! Awesome information. I'm gonna try this with my ExDeath! Thank you.

8. Timo

Timo Well-Known Member

I did the similar on my group with Lenna, Leo, Bartz, Vaan, Kefka

Bartz: dmg + resi (barthundra, barfira, barblizzra)
    Vaan: support + heal (kind of "Paladin")

I only upped Vaans Mana and SPR a bit so that he can cast Focus and Cura more often and more effective.

If you plan to make versatile builds you should remember that it makes no sense to give characters that role that are normally fully consumed by the battle.

For example giving resi spells to Lenna doesnt make sense because she normally doesnt have a round where she isnt doing anything important (heal, cheer, esuna, stona).

Giving those spells to Bartz makes more sense, because using those spells doesnt interfere with the group's survival in the next round (due to not being healed or dispelled).

Greetings

Timo

9. Argetlahm

Argetlahm Member

WoL is also very versatile.
    You can set him as tank (equip focused on def and hp), tanky priest (healing staff, full spirit equip, esuna, and stona materia), debuff priest (rune staff/sleep dagger + bladeblitz = AoE silence/sleep), physical dps (equip focused on atk) or even mage (equip focused on mag to increase his shining wave damage XD)