1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Preparation Is Key

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Prowake, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Prowake

Prowake Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    A quick intro to this guide and why I’m writing it. Over the past few weeks I’ve been crawling over the forums and have noticed a theme among many posts and topics: lack of preparation. Final Fantasy has always been about grinding and preparing for those big upcoming battles, so why should Brave Exvius be any different? Whether your F2P or P2P, it doesn’t matter: preparation will ensure that you are successful and have fun while playing this game! Coming from a business background I can tell you that just mindlessly throwing money at something (you P2P players know what I’m talking about) doesn’t guarantee success. Likewise, if you’re not spending money and are playing the part of the scrappy entrepreneur, you know that resources are of the utmost importance and should not be squandered. This guide is aimed to help you maximize your efforts regardless of what you spend. That being said, let’s get started!

DO your dailies!

You might have been raised to take your vitamins every day. Well I’m here to tell you to also do your daily quests! Why? They only take a few minutes to complete if you want to short cut them and you are rewarded with energy, rank experience, Gil and Lapis! Who can say no to free Lapis? 50 Lapis a day might not sound like much but think about it. Each week, if you do your daily quests, you can earn 350 Lapis. That means that every month you earn about 1,500 Lapis. Need I say more? Follow the steps below if you want a fast, effective way to get your daily quests done.
    • Clear 3 Vortex Quests: Unless you’re dying for unit XP, do “Chamber of Awakening – INT”. This will net you awakening materials at the best bang for your buck. Trust me, you’ll need those materials.
    • Clear 3 Story Quests: At 1 energy, you just can’t beat “Earth Shrine – Entrance” or “Earth Shrine – Exit”. You can literally do this while you eat, brush your teeth, watch TV…you get the point.
    • Clear 2 Exploration Quests: My choice here, especially if I’m in a rush, is “Earth Shrine – Exploration”. It’s short, easy, and energy efficient.
    • Craft 1 Item: Just craft any item that’s in the 5 minutes or under category. I recommend going to Synthesize and making something in there like the Shuriken. 5 minutes and 1 copper later, you’re done.
    • Win 3 Times in Colosseum: With the release of the ADV level, everyone should have new stages to clear. If you can handle ADV, then clear it. If not, go back and run 3 easier fights to get your points.
    • Send Gifts to 5 Friends: This is easy. Go to your friends list, click “Send Gifts” and hit “Receive All”. Then, click “Send”, then “Send All”.
    And you’re done! You can now collect all rewards associated with your quests. Remember, you can only collect the 50 Lapis if you’ve done all 5 daily quests! On top of that, you get your daily login bonus just by signing into the app! Now you’re at a crossroads: to collect now, or wait to collect until later. Why collect now? If there’s new content coming out or an event coming over the weekend, collect now and stockpile your energy (I have been able to save about 200 max)! If not, then don’t collect that energy just yet. Burn off the rest of your energy on more quests, then collect your dailies, and burn it off again.

DO Look Ahead!

Feelings on the forum are mixed on the topic, so let me put this to rest. DO look forward and make preparations for future content. We have a very good idea as to what’s coming, so use it to your advantage! Those who say, “Don’t worry about future releases. Play what we have now and worry about the rest when it comes out” are not those I would recommend taking advice from. Why? Because it’s about preparation, folks, not procrastination!
    • To look at future units and see who will be the must-have, end-all be-all, OP game breaking units, go here: http://altema.jp/ffbe/
      • This page is in Japanese, but don’t let that discourage you. See that button that pops up on Google when you go to this page that says “translate”? Click it and voila! Look up your units and see if they hold up in the future. See someone you really want? Start saving up! Oh, your unit gets a 6* release in the future and you want to grind out the resources now? This site tells you how much of what you need, get to work!
    • For everything else use: https://exviuswiki.com/Main_Page
      • Here you will find everything you need, organized neatly into categories. Oh, you want to know if Colosseum boss ADV A-5 has a weakness? Whaddya know, you can find it right there on that site. Now assemble your team and exploit its weakness.
    Also, don’t forget to check our own forums for specific cases on what people did to get past your situation!

Summons

Since who you get when you summon is determined by RNGesus, there’s not a whole lot you can do here besides hedge your bets strategically. For P2P, just throwing money at it will not guarantee that you get what you are looking for. If you are F2P, you know that Lapis is life and chances are you were scraping the bottom of the barrel during and after the Lightning banner. So what can you do to maximize your Lapis?
    • DO your daily pulls only. They cost 250 Lapis and you might luck out and get your unit for significantly cheaper! Really want that 11 pull? Keep reading, there's a time and place for that.
    • DO NOT blow your wad on day 1. Why? Most banners will give you a week to pull for a unit. If you do the special 11 pulls for 5,000 Lapis on day one, you have just spent about 450 lapis/unit and you still aren’t sure if you’re going to get who you seek.
    • Tickets: Unless you just won the lottery, don’t spend your tickets until the last day for the same reasons as above. I also recommend rationing your tickets. Determine just how many you want to spend and stick to that amount. Don’t forget, this is about preparation folks. Look ahead to see who could be on the next banners, then base your spending from there.
    If on the last day you have done your daily pulls and still don’t have the unit you want, ask yourself if it’s worth twice as much to try one last shot in the dark and go for 11. If so, go for it. A good example would have been the Crystal Defenders units as they were limited time and cannot currently be summoned.

One last thing about summons as it seems to be a bit of a wedge between P2P and F2P. It’s not all luck! Wait, what did he say? Shocker, I know. There is definitely an insane amount of luck to be sure, but that’s not all it is. Those little steps above will help you maximize your chances of pulling the banner units.

Units

All my units suck.
    I can’t beat this stage.
    I’ve tried that, it doesn’t work.

Odds are, if you’ve been playing for any length of time at all, that you have a decent team that can take on most things, but you haven’t leveled up some of your units or provided your current team with appropriate gear. This may have worked before, but from this point forward content will require more than that. Look at your team. You probably have your “go-to” team that you use for content, and then a ton of other units you may have or have not touched since you got them. If you’re looking ahead and doing your dailies, you should have amassed plenty of materials to level the appropriate units for more difficult stages. Here’s how to maximize the stats of your units:
    • Do your dailies! Again, run those dailies and bring the noobs along. You can sub in the Experience vortex for the Materials vortex to get a quick jump in XP.
    • Metal Cactuars: Play your heart out on the Cactuar events. They offer tons of XP and you can complete them easily. Cactuars are also sometimes awarded as a daily login bonus.
    • Gear: Just because a unit is max level doesn’t mean they have awesome stats…yet! Make sure to craft those Hero Rings, +10% Mag materias, Fire Rods, Mythril armor, etc. to get the most out of each character. One of the things I see the most often is awesome units equipped with sub-awesome gear. Don't be that guy (or gal)! Spend the time to craft some gear. Most gear will take less than a day to craft, with Hero Rings taking 3 days...but boy are they worth it!
    • Espers: Put your characters on the appropriate Esper. Note that you don’t have enough Esper SP to buy all of their stats and skills, so I highly recommend focusing on trying to unlock the skill nodes instead of the stat boost nodes. They are worth more to you than a little jump in stats and your units will thank you for their newfound skills. Here's some tips:
      • Siren: Not too useful unless you’re going with an all magic team. Then I’d use her over Ifrit.
      • Ifrit: Put your physical attacker on Ifrit for a nice boost to attack.
      • Shiva/Ramuh: Both should be assigned to mages.
      • Golem: He goes to your tank unit, or the one you want to be able to absorb the most damage.
      • Diabolos: Personally, I believe he’s best suited for mages given his stats, but he would also serve a unit with a high base attack since Diabolos learns some great “killer” abilities like “Man-Eater”.
    So there you have it! There are many more topics that could be discussed, but I tried to limit this guide to what I’ve noticed to be the biggest pitfalls in preparation, or the lack thereof. This is how I play every single day and I have yet to encounter a boss or an enemy that I can't beat. I hope this guide can help you as you too prepare for all of the adventures that are to come in this awesome game!

2. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

Im one that doesnt do daily pulls much and blow my load at a banner that have good units.
    I'll do a few dailies for tmr unit pickups few times.. but Im not getting my hopes up in scoring a 4* and above units tho...
    Doing daily pull everyday sure might sound profitable.. but if you dont save up.. you will have no pulling power when the real banner that metters comes your way.
    Im f2p.
    Whales or dolphines can just top up lapis easily..

3. Prowake

Global ID:
    Right, doing the daily pull every day will put you at 0 eventually since there's not a way to earn 250+ Lapis every day. Here's an example: let's say the Tilith banner is next and you're dying to have her. Practice some patience and do daily pulls until the last day. That way you don't blow everything when you might have had a chance at only spending in increments of 250. If you didn't get her and it's the final day, then decide whether or not to shoot the rest of your Lapis/tickets or spend real money.

Suzaku likes this.
  4. -Mav-

-Mav- Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Justin beiber
    1??
  5. S3PHIR0TH

S3PHIR0TH You need more HP :3 VIP Supporter JP Moderator

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight | Tidus
    If anyone wants extra info on Japan units, feel free to pm me or any of the Japan players (hierotubas, zenn, DanT, vettamike, ryudo, etc). Or make a post on the Japan section of this forum. We disagree with some of the altema ratings.

Also. The GEAR is important. For example, my tidus has mediocre gear and has 552 attack (don't worry. It'll be higher later!) while zenn's tidus has great gear and has 881 attack. And materias also become more important too, especially in the future when many units get a higher innate attack so what may have been like an extra 11 attack with the 10% attack materia will give you 25 attack (Eileen). And gear can make a good unit great. Zenns firion (good unit. But the gear made it amazing) has been a HUGE help in trials, soloing all of them up till the Europa trial (9 waves of bosses. Not the colluseum one). Spend the time completing quests (or crafting) to get the good gear. Just wanted to emphasize that part a bit. You don't need units. If they're properly geared, the unit, no matter how bad, will be great (some dude made a decent shadow. 600+ attack with 360% AOE)And thx zenn for using you as an example.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Prowake likes this.
  6. Suzaku

Suzaku Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    CoD
    After you already have a decent team, it may be wise to start saving lapis for the future. Two things are especially interesting: the possibility of a Christmas event of some sort, in which, based on what jp got, we may get a better chance at a base 5* unit for a hefty amount of blues. Also, if you are ok with your team, considering saving until the new summoning rule implemented in jp takes place. That way, gold crystal will be way better since you'll get a 4* base unit. Same goes with 3* and 5* crystals, which is TONS better than our current chances of pulling a rainbow Gilbert or a gold Shadow.

I know pulling is very tempting, but as OP said, stick to daily pulls or maybe use some tickets, but try to leave your lapis pool intact. I had saved a bit over 15k lapis but blew 10k in 2 x11 pulls in order to get waifu Agrias, simply because she is the best (and I got her). But other than that, I don't plan on pulling for a long time.

Props to this guide!

Prowake likes this.
  7. Prowake

Global ID:
    A Christmas event would be amazing! I'm also very curious about this fix to summons. One of my only gold summons was indeed Shadow...good thing it only cost 250.

Suzaku likes this.
  8. S3PHIR0TH

S3PHIR0TH You need more HP :3 VIP Supporter JP Moderator

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight | Tidus
    If you pull a gold, it MUST be a 4* base. If you pull a rainbow, it MUST be a 5* base. So no trolls in Japan.

CaptCrunchPants and Prowake like this.
  9. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    Congratulations on your guide Kyle x I hope the forum members tag this as NB

Prowake likes this.
  10. arel

arel Member Supporter

On daily pulls, I usually consider the "lowest" unit/s a banner offered. For example, in current banner, it's edge right? (well, cecil also 3* base, but he's great, so not "lowest" at all) If I think he's "okay", then I'll do daily pulls everyday during the banner, if not then maybe one or twice when I'm "feeling lucky". up till now, as far as I remember my 10+1 were during the FB choice banners (all of them were "useful" even if only "temporary", right?) and back when I was just started the game (my first 5k lapis, which I kinda regret LOL)