1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Trial Bosses 6: Antenolla [Thorned Mace]

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Two Hands Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Hello, everyone. Not sure how to prepare for the upcoming boss Antenora? Or just entirely unsure what it can do? Well, sit back and enjoy this guide on how to handle the boss. As usual, leave any questions regarding the boss below.

Recommended Units For This Trial:

[​IMG] - Exdeath [6*]

Right in time for this trial, I'd say Exdeath! The main thing that will make this trial easier for you. As our first 6* mage, he has the elements that some of Antenoras body parts are weak to also has a magic slayer that does work with Plant based enemies such as Antenora itself. So, Exdeath gets a very high recommendation here.

[​IMG] - Cloud of Darkness [6*]

CoD has a really good niche here, and that's being the only unit in the game right now who has a AoE status cure, this is relevant cause Antenora does frequently attack with moves and they have AoE status effects so it's better for CoD cause she can support the team by healing them herself. She can also deal damage respectively to Antenora as well.

[​IMG] - Refia [6*]

Refia of course gets a very high mention here as she's the healer who has innate resistances to the statuses that would stop her from doing her job meaning in the trial she can heal, and buff your teams, and cure status aliments so long as she doesn't get killed. The main thing you're gonna need from Refia is the heals, and status curing.

Other Great Healers: [​IMG]

[​IMG] - Ramza [6*]

I actually push for Ramza here cause of his offensive debuffs he can bring to the team. While another break I will mention later on is more relevant. Due note, that Antenora is made of several body parts which debuffing one at a time will simply not do it. This is where Ramza comes in. Thanks to him having a -40% ATK & MAG debuff in his skillset he can be a good help in slowing down Antenora a good bit while you plan for the fight.

Other Great Supporter Units: [​IMG] , [​IMG]

[​IMG] - Luneth [6*]

Luneth works really well here cause of his strong AoE and the fact that he has like Refia innate resistances to the aliments that would slow him down otherwise. Also combined with the fact he has innate DW so that means he can deal more damage on the body parts of Antenora more quicker, and effective than other 6* attackers.

Other Great Attacker Units: [​IMG] , [​IMG]

[​IMG] - Warrior of Light [5*]

It may seem a bit crazy to fully recommend a 5* to a trial since we're kinda in the 6* meta now. But, WoL gets a real strong push cause he can act as your tank, and has access to Full Break which is something you really need for this trial cause of the multiple body parts to Antenora. In this state of meta, I can say that a good WoL can hold himself for this fight by tanking damage with Provoke. But, what you mainly want WoL for is the debuffing factor.

Other Great Tanks: [​IMG] ,[​IMG]

Now, that we got this out the way. Time to discuss how to beat the boss!

[​IMG]
    Antenora (Flower)
    HP: 580,000 | MP: 1200
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: Fire, Ice, Water 100% Immune, 20% resistances to Confusion, Immuned to all aliments

Antenora (Leaves)
    HP: 580,000 | MP: 600
    Weaknesses: -50% Earth Damage | Resistances: 100% resist to Fire, Water, Wind, Thunder, 50% all status aliments, +100 Silence immune.

Antenora (Ivy)
    Weaknesses: -50% Dark Damage | Resistances: 100% resist to Ice, Lightning, Wind, 50% resist to Water, 100% resist to all status aliments, 50% immune to Sleep

Antenora (Root)
    Weaknesses: -50% Earth Damage | Resistances: 100% Immune to Fire, Ice, Thunder, Lightning, 50% Dark Damage, +50% resist to aliments.

All Body Parts have a 2-3 Attack Cycle.

Attack Pattern (All Body Parts)
    - Pollen (Flower): AoE Poison, Silence, Confusion, Disease
    - Blood Sucking (Flower) [Threshold]: ST Physical Damage + HP Heal
    -Runaway (All Parts): Large damage to one enemy
    -Wrap Around (Ivy): Small damage to one enemy, chance to paralyze to the target.
    -Ibarra of Thorns (Ivy): Small damage to one enemy, chance to cause diease to the target.
    -Nutrient Absorption (Root): Small damage to one enemy + Absorbs MP.
    - Earth Heal (Root): Fixed 50,000 Heal.

*: Expect edits to the AI,and stats of Antenora when it comes to GL.

How to Beat: This trial is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. But, let me make one thing clear now. DO NOT KILL THE MAIN BODY UNTIL ALL THE OTHER PARTS ARE DEAD. This is the main key of focus here if you do this the remaining body parts will use "Runaway" which will easily kill your teammates off in one or two attacks from Antenora. The best thing to simply do here is focus on specific body parts at a time. Remember to keep all body parts debuffed with Ramzas offensive breaks, or Full Break as well to lessen the damage taken to your team.

When fighting the boss, I would follow a very specific killing order. I would kill the root first, the main reason as cause of it having MP drain which puts your units on a timer in this fight you'll need alot of MP to take down the several parts so it's better to dispose of the root first to stop the chances of your units getting MP drained, alongside it healing other parts of it's body. It itself isn't as problematic as the other parts the only issue really is the MP drain.

Next, I would kill the Ivy part for it's chance to cause paralyze. I know the main body can do the same thing + other aliments. But, we cannot kill it just yet otherwise the body parts will go berserk as I said before. It's very efficient to spam as much AoE as you can here this hurts the other parts to Antenora of course which makes it easier to shift focus to body parts to the fight so having some decent AoEs, and having the general bases covered on your team. Just remember to keep watch over the main bodys HP as well. If you see it dropping to low then it'll probably be better to shift to ST attacks until you can fully focus on the main body.

After, is the Leaves which don't do anything to you really but attack you so you're fine here. If you'd like I would take this time to fill up on some MP for your units with your Elixirs, or Turbo Ethers so you can prepare to finish the fight. There's nothing more to dangerous once you kill the leaves of Antenora besides the annoying statuses on your units. After, you can just go all out on the main body.

Final Award: Thorned Mace: +78 ATK, Human Slayer + 70% chance to poison on attacks.

P.S.: This weapon is a godsend for Cloud of Darkness.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. Gnormal

Gnormal Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Leo,Chiz,Vaan, Kefka
    Thanks Jet!

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  3. CaptCrunchPants

CaptCrunchPants Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Firion JP: Tidus
    Thanks for the guide. So good....i can't wait to crush this trial.

4. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

Yea. Lets crush this bug wannabe and get it over with. 290ķ health seems like it will be gone after one round of attack. Lol

5. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
  6. Jvalz

Jvalz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeu or Luneth
    Should we complete the trial bosses-5 first before going into this fight or we can just go and battle Antenora without completing the fifth trial bosses (according to Jet's numbering)?

7. Ultimate Dragoon

Ultimate Dragoon Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru, Cecil
    Wow! I have a question here... Well I dont know if I can kill this monster and wanna know if you guys can help me. I already have *6 CoD and a respetable *5 WoL... The issue is...
    My main healer is like a cake, soft and sweet... WW Fina *5. I have Refia but it's *5 level 10 or something.
    I have a good covered Chizuru *5 I think it will be usseful.
    After that nothing important... Kain and Golbez are good mentions between my units and I think I can get good DMG dealers from my friends, most of them have *6 Lighting, Luneth and Elza, so... I hope you guys can help me! Just say the true, if I'm uneable to beat this little flower let me know and thanks to you all! I'm a nebbie here :)

8. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

depends if antenora gets a buffed version or not.
    People in jp beat this without any 6*. Using units like leo terra bartz wol/vaan lennah .All 5* no tmr.
    The key is the full breaker.

9. Ultimate Dragoon

Ultimate Dragoon Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru, Cecil
    Thanks Mister Asf! :D Nice to meet you, btw... Then with my WoL, CoD and maybe a Luneth can I win? Just maybe... Anyway, my healer its the problem here, I hope that little witch do the job almost well (?)... I will do my best and then tell ya guys :)

10. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you guys think "Plant Killer" ability materia is a plus to defeat this boss? Because i already have it and i think it is a plant type boss.

11. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

Ofcourse. Use plant killer on your strongest attacker

Ian likes this.
  12. simbadeangelo

simbadeangelo Well-Known Member

uhm i think you can... good luck

Jvalz likes this.
  13. kurizu

kurizu Cuddle Cuddle <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Noctis | JP Balthier
    120|83
  14. Jvalz

Jvalz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeu or Luneth
    Thanks. I finally beat this boss..

It was a quite tough battle, but if you bring enough ether, it will be fine. My MVP was Luneth with plant killer from Ifrit.

15. yuyu

yuyu Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    lightning/Cecil/COD
    Yuuuppp 3 round and Nothing killed even cut trough deal only 20k dmg

16. himura32

himura32 Well-Known Member

Leads:
    CHIZURU
    same here
    i don't know to beat this boss. if my cecil die in one turn

17. CeciRose

CeciRose Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    306 451 944
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Strategy, please...

18. HeartnetXIII

HeartnetXIII Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Yes, I made it
    thank for your guide Jet , really help me a lot
    And thank you Oboi :)

I think Luneth friend is the best for this..
    Because of his Cut Through... I don't recomend to use barrage, since you need to focus to kill the part one by one...
    Lightning will be great too, but her crushing blow is not as good as Cut Through

I following Jet order
    1. Root
    2. Ivy
    3. Leaf
    4. FLower

Don't forget to use any buff and debuff skill
    I personally use Cloud of Darkness as debuffer.. Her Aura Ball = Reduce attack AoE

and Jet is right...
    This weapon is made for CoD.. more damage + poison

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  19. Masteis

Masteis Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Elza
    Its quite annoying to see that my healer gets instantkill every round no matter how many times i revive her.

Thanks rngesus.

Unholy likes this.
  20. josesoto2783

josesoto2783 Active Member

Can you say which letter represents each part? I only know the flower, but the other parts look similar and I dont know which one represents which letter.