1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Alma [Final Fantasy Tactics]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    She's Ramza's cbeerful younger sister and is ready to be used in FFBE. That's right we're talking about Alma and how well she compares in the Global meta! As usual, leave comments, and questions in the thread. And as always enjoy the review!

[​IMG]

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Magic Levels at 5*: White Magic Level 6, Black Magic Level 8, Green Magic Level 5
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Lordly Robes [Equip]: +45 DEF, MAG +35, +35 SPR, Casts Auto-Shell & Protect
    Limit Break: Self 300 Damage Attack & AoE ~1200 HP Heal w/ 1.6x Mod -> Self 300 Damage Attack & AoE ~1200 HP Heal w/ 2.55x Mod

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 411 / 1246 (150) 27 / 83 (35) 16 / 49 (10) 15 / 46 (10) 17 / 53 (10) 23 / 69 (10) 6 1
    4* 535 / 1620 (210) 36 / 109 (45) 21 / 64 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 23 / 69 (14) 30 / 90 (14) 8 1
    5* 695 / 2106 (240) 47 / 142 (60) 28 / 84 (16) 26 / 80 (16) 30 / 90 (16) 39 / 118 (16) 10 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Stone Throw Fixed 400 DMG to one enemy 0 1 [***]
    SPR +20% Boosts SPR stat by 20% 0 12 [****]
    MAG +10% Boosts MAG stat by 10% 0 26 [****]
    MP +20% Boosts MP stat by 20% 0 42 [****]
    Cura AoE ~400 HP heal w/ 3.4x Mod 7 60 [****]
    Dispel ST Stat Buff / Debuff Removal 7 60 [****]
    Protect ST +20% DEF buff for 3 turns 4 1 [*****]
    Shell ST +20% SPR buff for 3 turns 4 1 [*****]
    Bravery ST +20% ATK buff for 3 turns 8 1 [*****]
    Faith ST +20% MAG buff for 3 turns 8 1 [*****]
    Curaja AoE 1000 HP Heal w 3.4x Mod 15 70 [*****]
    Esuna ST Cure Poison, Blind, Paralyze, Silence, Confuse 8 70 [*****]
    Ultima 280% AoE 1 hit Magic Attack -25% SPR ignore 60 80 [*****]
    Pros: Alma doesn't have much selling points to be real honest to you. Normally, I'd at least scrape up something so you as the reader wouldn't be so quick to pawn her off as /terrible/ cause I personally believe every unit has some kind of niche of something. Alma doesn't really have to much niche really. She has the strongest BM move in the game in Ultima, which means she could at as a hybrid DPS mage, and healer the only problem with this is her MP would deplete faster than you can blink cause Ultima takes a massive 60 MP per use. Stone Throw is also niche for bosses who has absurd amounts of defense not the content we have but a certain boss to be released in later content maybe this month even only gets hit for 1 regardless of stats, and abilities used. So, it's niche to use it cause Stone Throw would be useful in this case to clear said certain boss quickly instead of many turns.

Cons: Alma has well.. alot of issues really which is sad. First, she's a real late bloomer when she's compared to other healers, or units with mixed potential. In her better part as a 3* she actually learns nothing this is bad for people who JUST started the game and managed to pull her. Cause she pretty much lies useless until you can evolve her to 4*. Even with that, she doesn't get her first healing move until she maxes out a 60 which is really slow I wouldn't have complained to bad if that at least gave her a base Cure in the earlier cycle. Second, she cannot equip any sort of weapons this is bad cause she misses out on the extra MAG/SPR from them which means she would be healing less than the other healers who came before her. I know it's to represent her from the counterpart to the FFT game but even in such cases it's still could be very troubling for her to get some reasonable heals. The only way you could try to maximize her heal potential is with SPR +10%.

Trust Mastery Award: This is really the only great thing about her as a whole is that she has a great TM I would easily recommend people grind this TM cause of it's great stat boosts, and even auto Protect & Shell effect for a great piece of gear for units like Amarant, or another healer you may wanna use. Or better yet a frail mage who could use this like Kefka. Overall, this TM has alot of usefulness so go grab this one if you can.

Comparing to Other Units

[​IMG] - Garnet
    • Garnet has better passives than Alma namely SPR +30% as opposed to Almas SPR +20%
    • Alma has Esuna which works better for a healer.
    • Garnet can revive allies, Alma cannot.
    • Alma can put damage on the board if you choose to with her having BM levels, as Garnet namely is support/healer.
    Overall Verdict: Garnet easily wins cause she while rarer to pull than Alma. She does the job more effectively with stronger heals, you want your heals to be as strong as they can be so when you do heal you don't wanna have to waste a turn by guarding or something of the like. Garnet does lack in status control which alot of bosses now in days do mess around with and this is where Alma would be the better candidate in this regard. Garnet could get some status support from materia options of course, but Alma having Esuna easily overshadows the 2-3 that you could give to Garnet.

[​IMG] - Lenna
    • Alma can put some damage on the board, as Lenna is 100% pure healer.
    • Lenna can buff teams ATK/DEF with Cheer which is currently the best AoE ATK/DEF buff.
    • Lenna pretty much learns all the important moves that Alma can besides Ultima and can do them better.
    • Lenna also has a healing LB, but doesn't take self damage like Alma does on hers.
    Overall Verdict: Easily Lenna is the winner no questions asked. Lenna does alot more for team compositions than Alma any day cause of Cheer, and her relatively strong heals. She even again has a healing LB with a MAG boost to help mages, or act as a last ditch heal when she's out of MP, or trying to save some herself and there wouldn't be no recoil to using that LB. Lenna pretty much gets Curaja/Dispel/Esuna which is all you'd really much would use on Alma not counting Ultima of course. But, Lenna can do the job way better than Alma and she doesn't really need any damaging moves.

Conclusion: I wouldn't be too thrilled if I pulled a Alma I mean as a starting healer she starts off really slow which hurts newer players cause Fina isn't until Lanzelt which they depending on pulls would have a easy time, or a relatively troublesome time getting to. When Alma starts as a higher base than Fina as a 3*, and Fina is a 2*. I think you can catch my drift here. She's really only good for her TM really that's about it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Da-mav, Krota, Orzhov and 2 others like this.
  2. Krota

Krota Member

Global ID:
    Nice review. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on the new units. Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  3. Kisangre

Kisangre Well-Known Member Supporter

Great review. Though slight misspelling of cheerful in the first line. Keep up the awesome work man

4. Cherub

Cherub Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Fina
    I was absolutely floored to see her skillpool.
    Aka... literally not even having one in her first rank.
    Not even Cure??? Seriously?

I didn't play Tactics so I don't know if it "fits her lore", but this is just beyond ridiculous.
    Talk about making a unit absolutely useless for new players, and then not even making her very useful even in 5 stars.

Why even touch Alma when you get Fina for free...?
    I guess she'll be grinded for her TMR then be sold off.
    Not even worth taking up 1 of your Unit slots after that lmao...

5. Wushufuzz

Wushufuzz Member

Hopefully they make her better with 6* its her only hope

6. Kisangre

Sadly as tactics was one of my favorite games I know why they did it. But I am pissed that she never gains any real use in this game. She was a dope healer originally. Let's hope for a 6*

7. Epohfoyar The Great

Epohfoyar The Great Member

I am going to try to pull her off...I am thinking...Dual wield (w/ 2 high Magic Atk Equip), Dual cast, her TM reward, 2 Earrings, a maxed Ramuh...if she can get 1 more Ability slot for Equip Hat...she will be unstoppable...but hey...even now this is all a dream...but possible for sure.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  8. Lucied

Lucied Member

Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    If you pull Alma and have a Roselia, there might be some saving grace for her. Roselia's trust master reward is equip staff, so grinding it out and shoving a staff on Alma I think would definitely boost her usefulness.

9. Lukahn

Lukahn Well-Known Member

Maybe it's me being a FF6 fanboy but no one else yet has native Ultima right?

10. Lucied

Lucied Member

Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    No, only Alma. The only other way to obtain it is Terra tmr

11. Epohfoyar The Great

But I still think with the right layout...Alma can be the best unit in FFBE...it's all a matter of time and faith...which is what she is based on when you put some thought into it.

12. Kisangre

This just gave me hope. Time to dust off roselia

Lucied likes this.
  13. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    make alma use dw staff and rod, she'll destroy mobs

14. Epohfoyar The Great

Yes she will be The Angel of Death!...and let them make her a 6* unit...No one will be able to stand up to her...especially with solid tanks guarding her too...oh man I think she will even crash the app everytime she attacks lol!

15. Lukahn

Lukahn Well-Known Member

I've got Alma every single daily 1/2 price pull since banner started. ::boco::

AdmiralRammer likes this.
  16. Wushufuzz

Wushufuzz Member

Iv pulled her 3 times now i got mustardio he has a nice tm but not to sure yet would have rather pulled ramza or argais. Never got a delitha ether
    Wan.

17. Swordsman

Swordsman Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    how does she compare to fina and roselia ?

18. Epohfoyar The Great

I used her Ultima over 200 Mag and she was pretty decent. She needs a weapon or weapons w/ Dual wield and a set of earrings...2 would be better...to get her Mag to 300...an attack with Ultima at that level...you can pretty much expect A WHOLE LOT of friend requests...but you have to get her to level 80 to make any good use of her no question.

19. Carlos Gomes

Carlos Gomes New Member

Alma can only equip "Cloth Armor" and acessories, but even being so limited, she helped my group for a long time.
    I think that if we give her "equip" items such as hat, staff and/or shield (she only has 2 spaces), she can become really interesting for a 5*.
    Mine is at 80, since I got Refia, Alma is in the waitting room, but I believe she has some potential.