1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Amarant [Final Fantasy 9]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Someone who's not very appearance worthy? Either way we're talking about the unit Amarant and how well he will fare in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions about this unit here in this thread. And enjoy the review!

[​IMG]

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 539 / 1633 (210) 19 / 59 (25) 21 / 63 (10) 19 / 58 (10) 15 / 46 (10) 15 / 46 (10) 6 1
    4* 701 / 2123 (270) 25 / 77 (35) 27 / 83 (14) 25 / 76 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 8 1
    5* 911 / 2760 (360) 33 / 101 (40) 36 / 108 (16) 33 / 100 (16) 26 / 80 (16) 26 / 80 (16) 10 1

Magic Level at 5*: None
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: HP +30% (Ability): Boost users HP by 30%
    Limit Break: 270% ST Physical Attack -> 365% ST Physical Attack

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Throw (6), Chakra (21)
    4*: Gravity Fist (12), Power Break (26), HP +10% (28), Curse (56)
    5* Counter (45), Draw Attacks (62), Eye for a Eye (72), Revive (80)

Pros: Amarant is the newest tank on the block and he has well one of the best at countering attacks and without the use of Provoke (from Golem), he can draw in single target attacks with his ability this is good cause you would want your tanks to draw in the damage. Due to this, Amarant will be getting most of his damage from countering and countering alone. He does have Power Break even to help decrease the physical damage that is done to him, and your teammates. Something that is new on him is that he's a tank with the ability to revive dead teammates this alone in Amarant's role/case is amazing really cause say if you're healer/mage who has Raise dies and you run outta Phoenix Downs and you need that support. Well, Amarant in the least would be able bring back the unit that is needed. Chakra is also another useful option on him cause he can heal himself a great amount and never have to worry about running out of MP.

Cons: Amarant has well a odd equipment selection. Most tanks can use some sort of armor, or shields as a equip. Amarant is a oddball cause he doesn't have any of these really which makes him miss out on some nice DEF boost for his stats, I'm not saying that clothing doesn't have nice DEF boost but 9/10 armor/helm/shields usually are higher. He's also lacking in the stat boost department as well he only gets a small HP +10% which is nice but compared to the other units before him it's not a true sell.

Trust Mastery Award: Very good one to grab, tank units and other decent supports will greatly appreciate a extra 30% HP to easily be able to survive in content way later in the game and so I would easily grab this one as it's extra worth.

Comparing to Other Units
    Leo: Amarant & Leo are a little bit alike. They both can draw attacks in, but Leo only takes damage and does nothing back while Amarant is at least able to counter this in combination with Amarant's Chakra + standard heals (Cura/Curaja) he can keep dealing damage repeatedly without barely dropping to any real danger zone. Leo can't heal himself, or teammates which means he'll just be there tanking. Leo has better break support in having 1 additional break that Amarant in Armor Break which is great still. And he even has a ATK/DEF +20% for himself to use. But, personally Amarant is better than Leo cause of him being more suitable to play the counter role, and even has Raise to help squad set ups better. Leo is better for tanking, and still wanting to put damage on the board.

Warrior of Light / Cecil: Since they two are kinda the same(ish), I am bumping them together for this. WoL, and Cecil both have Sentinel which is a super great move to have to potentially save teams from any accidental deaths, WoL also has a self heal but it's not as good, or strong as Amarant's at best it's like a Cura, while Amarant is stronger than that. WoL also has Full Break which easily trumps over Amarant's one Power Break which a way stronger, and potent debuff. Cecil has better team support which is what is more truly important in taking down hard bosses for the game with a AoE heal, Dispel (super needed for bosses who like to buff, will be more prominent in the future).

Conclusion: I would pull for Amarant only if you do not own a Cecil, or Warrior of Light otherwise he wouldn't be worth pulling. He's a slightly okay tank with a oddball setup, I like him cause he has his own raise which will be great for Tank + healer combos if one unit dies he can revive team, and your healer can heal them back up to a reasonable amount which is nice to say the least. He's also great when you need countering to nudge away at the opponents HP for your main DPS units.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Estenoriega, rexksvii and Brian80s like this.
  2. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Sakura
    Note - For the Gilgamesh trial that's coming in the far future, Amarant is very useful. The fight takes long, and therefore MP will become an issue for any tank if you don't have Eileen or Tidus (possible future units) to help regenerate MP. For Amarant this is not the case due to Chakra (Not to mention that it also cures Blind and Poison). And as said - the drawing in attacks is especially handy in that fight.

3. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Way to far fam. Wayyyy to far.

4. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Sakura
    One most always be prepared for the upcoming Apocalyse. Kappa

I did a ninja edit and added 'far'

5. Timo

Timo Well-Known Member

Why the hate for Leo - in the current content he's the 2nd best tank in my opinion ^^. With Golem he is a 100 % Tank and compared to other tanks he's a destroyer of worlds ^^.

Wait until he gets his 6th star (at least I hope so :) ). I think your review aims more at future content where Cecil starts to shine ^^

6. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Read it again, there's no "hate" for Leo. Only comparions between their role, I could see a proper assumption if I downright said Amarant was better and didn't even give Leo a ounce of anything to defend himself. I even said "Leo has a higher stats with ATK/DEF +20%, better break support, and better damage output."

7. Neptune

Neptune Member

Leo's actually the only real tank we have right now honestly. He's the only one of our 3 available tanks (WoL, Cecil, Leo) that does any actual tanking. Sentinel is pretty bad because of how unreliable it is and both WoL and Cecil rely on it to do any real "tanking" which sucks.

Leo at least works pretty well as an attraction tank so he holds the #1 tanking job. However, if you own Leo and Cecil/WoL there's really no reason to use him if you have 2* Golem with Provoke learned. At that point either one does Leo's job much better.

8. S3PHIR0TH

S3PHIR0TH You need more HP :3 VIP Supporter

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight | Tidus
    This review was written on my birthday!!! Haha. I already have Cecil and Leo but could use him because I don't have a unit capable of raise and it's gonna be needed in the future.

9. keyserzose

keyserzose New Member

pfff you know nothing!, the one and ONLY tank is and always will be...Medius, the dps with "Draw attacks" :D

asrdgsx likes this.
  10. Sessna

Sessna New Member

I personally love this guy. I get the feeling from alot of threads that he is vastly underated. I see that many people say his gear is weird........its not. Its friggin great imo. I have him as an sp build and alot of times he gets almost two lbs to other peoples one. Sure the armor rating is lower but he has chakra, and also another thing people havent even mentioned in this thread is mirage. He can draw attacks and he doesnt even take dmg from them. So why would he need bulky tank armor? Between countering and dmg taken (should you choose to skip mirage usage) he is a lb monster, and bis lb is pretty decent. Also another gear that is just great with him is his poison claws........allllll that countering alll those free poisons. I freely admit im relatively new to the game but Amarant has pulled me through two majorly hard fights where all i could even do in the fight was stay alive...... all my effort went into dmg control,no dmg going to boss at all except the 5k poison hp drops from amarants counter/ poison. Seriously amarant is a beast.

11. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    well, rather than def it's better equip him dps style, maybe
    i got 2 amarant and he is now collecting dust

12. Timo

Timo Well-Known Member

Mirage is from Mirage Vest ^^

13. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    You do know, these reviews are based on innate learnpool not what can be given to them after. In a sense, if I were to follow that logic no units would really have problems cause most equips / espers fixes the problems that some units have.

14. Timo

Timo Well-Known Member

I refered to sessna's review where he said that mirage wasnt mentioned.

Of course units have less problems when equipping items...

15. Sessna

Sessna New Member

You are correct timo, as stated in my above post im new to this game. However, i dont think you can look look at base stats to determine what a unit is worth, its the players imagination that makes a char come to life....maybe ppl sold the mirage vest,,,,,idk. But if you set him to tanking with an lb when his gauge is full......why would you want a tank who only takes dmg? Hmmmm. My amarant can tank and do massive amounts of damage compared to my 5* leo who only takes hits

16. Orbis

Orbis Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    I love Amarant myself, and I have all the major tanks released (Leo, Cecil, WoL, and Charlotte) so far. But he does have a very high gear requirment, mostly from TMs. I imagine Black Cowl (boost ATK, DEF, SPR, immune to Sleep) from Hayate, Rising Sun (Bird Killer) from Locke, DualWield from Zidane (Rising Sun + Poison Claw combo), his own HP +30% (to make his Chakra more effective), and lastly Lunge Combo from Fencer. Accessorize with Jeweled Ring (immune to Paralyze and Death) and Muscle Belt. Pair with 2* Golem, start the fight with Provoke then Chakra until Provoke wears off, repeat. *sigh* back to TM farming...