1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Arc [Final Fantasy 3]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Born as a orphan, and also known as the Light of Kindness. Yep, that's right. We're gonna be talking about Arc and how well he compares in the Global meta, as usual leave comments, and questions below. And enjoy the review. :]

[​IMG]

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Omnirod (Weapon): +20 ATK, +91 MAG
    Limit Break: AoE ~400 HP Heal w/ 9x Mod split over 3 Turns & AoE 3 Turn +40% MAG -> AoE ~400 HP Heal w/ 9.95x Mod split over 3 Turns & AoE 3 Turn +59% MAG

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 410 / 1241 (150) 29 / 88 (25) 17 / 52 (10) 17 / 50 (10) 21 / 63 (14) 19 / 57 (10) 6 1
    4* 532 / 1613 (210) 38 / 115 (35) 22 / 68 (14) 21 / 65 (14) 27 / 82 (18) 24 / 74 (14) 8 1
    5* 692 / 2097 (240) 49 / 149 (40) 29 / 88 (16) 28 / 85 (16) 35 / 107 (24) 32 / 96 (16) 10 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Blizzard 120% Ice Magic Attack 3 1 [***]
    Thunder 120% Thunder Magic Attack 3 1 [***]
    Fire 120% Fire Magic Attack 3 1 [***]
    Blizzara 140% AoE Ice Magic Attack 9 23 [****]
    Thundara 140% AoE Thunder Magic Attack 9 29 [****]
    Fira 140% AoE Fire Magic Attack 9 31 [****]
    Blizzaga 180% AoE Ice Magic Attack 20 35 [*****]
    Thundaga 180% AoE Thunder Magic Attack 20 47 [*****]
    Firaga 180% AoE Fire Magic Attack 20 56 [*****]
    Osmose ST 30% Attack/30% MP Drain 10 21 [*****]
    Death ST 30% Kill Chance 14 66 [*****]
    MP +20% Boosts users MP stat by 20% - 26 [***]
    MAG +20% Boosts users MAG stat by 20% - 60 [****]
    Dual Black Magic Use Two Black Magic Spells 0 80 [*****]

Pros:​

Standard Element Control: For Black Mages, it's important to have good elements to hit with the usual Fire/Ice/Thunder line is well sufficient enough to deal damage to the respective enemies who're weak to said element. Arc here as all there in every stage that they come in in ra/ga form meaning he can conserve MP in explorations when forced to take on many mobs in the game which is good. He can save the ga spells for more harder bosses, and or trial events for the good AoE damage.

Dual Black Magic: This is Arcs true selling card here. No 5* mage in the game has a innate double cast of anything. But, Arc is blessed with Dual Black Magic meaning he can dish out more damage a turn at the cost of more MP. And he has MP to go around for a long time at a impressive 178 after passives are applied means he can spam his versions of spells quite effortlessly. DBM for Arc practically puts him in a very high placement alone cause of the quick damage that he can dish out.

Good LB: His LB for what it's worth is actually useful, not for the MAG buff. But namely, for the small AoE Regen effect that it gives on teams. This in a simpler sense will help when your healer misses out on a full heal, or is occupied doing something else like curing status off a unit the very least your teammates will be getting a small HP heal which may allow them to live for the turn to allow your healer to patch them up after.

Cons:​

Death: It's a niche skill, yes. But, in this current meta everything and their grandmas are immuned to instant Death. The only real use you could get out of it is random mobs in story, or explorations. In the later levels, Death gets to be real useless real fast. So, it's not as hype to have the skill on him.

Trust Mastery Award: ​

The Omnirod is a TM you must get what your mages. Granted enough, there is not alot of great TMs for mage units but this one is the best rod you can simply hope to get. +91 MAG is well good and insane to have and isn't topped by any other TM for a long ways to come. So, if you pull some Arcs grind this TM immediately! I fully recommend this one.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Kefka
    • Kefka has the higher base MAG stat than Arc. 116 to his 107
    • Arc hits for all the main 3 elements, while Kefka hits for 2.
    • Kefka's Hyperdrive is about on par with Arc's Dual elemental spells.
    • Arc can heal his MP with Osmose, Kefka cannot heal his own MP.
    Overall Verdict: I wanna give it to Arc really, cause AoE magic spells are more relevant to use in the long run. Hyperdrive from Kefka is still a great ability, but it's ST and would really only shine in one boss areas. Arc on the other hand has the ability to chain elements with his own spells which may just beat Hyperdrive which cannot chain itself. So, I say Arc wins this battle.

[​IMG] - Tellah
    • Tellah has the higher MAG stat over Arc. 110 to Arcs 107.
    • Tellah has the niche "Raise" skill which works wonderfully with healers. Alongside his own Cura for more better team support.
    • Arc deals more damage due to his DBW skill.
    Overall Verdict: Arc wins again when it comes to damage really. Cause of him having the DBW Tellahs damage would be out beaten. Tellah does have his own cure, and raise to help in team situations which is good. Arc is mainly a pure damaging mage without to much team support outside his LB which is not spammable really.

Conclusion: Arc is overall is a great mage, and is worth to pull. He also has the great TM on his side so I would be pretty happy to have pulled Arc for future content.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. uejjap

uejjap Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    great formatting!

3. S3PHIR0TH

S3PHIR0TH You need more HP :3 VIP Supporter JP Moderator

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Onion Knight | Tidus
    Arc is amazing! Dual black magic is OP and can really come in handy at times when needed. AND FARM HIS TM. THE ONLY BETTER ROD IN THE JAPAN VERSION IS EMPERORS WHO IS A 5* BASE.

4. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Woot! Love his sprite too! at 5* he gets a nice hat

Sir Vincent likes this.
  5. Vash426

Vash426 VIP VIP Supporter

He is awesome and I will pull for him for his tm and that's it. I am sitting there with two ExDeaths waiting for their upgrade in the coming weeks. Nothing sweeter than chaining with him at 6* or using his innate dualcast to chain meteors. :)
    Thanks for the info. I will pull for him and Ignus for his TM seems like it would have its uses too. I am just more excited to get these upgrades going personally. Lol. But for newer users and people needing strong mages I agree that Arc is the perfect unit for them for now.

6. Killerdemon

Killerdemon Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    WoL, Chiz, Cecil, Kef and Len
    but he stays a 5* forever right?
    nevertheless I'll be happy to have him since I'm still a long way to have that DC matéria... And since I'm going to splash lapis for the other two, I'll most likely get a ton of him...
    nice review, thanks

7. Midnight

Midnight Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cecil, Refia
    Looks like I will be hunting for this unit then. The TM Mastery is just too good.

8. Gronio

Gronio Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Somehow I have the feeling that JP is spoiling Global... People looking at units in the light of endgame content, when we should just enjoy powerful new characters...
    Not that there is any guarantee that Global will follow exactly JP by the way...

Shinigami and CaptCrunchPants like this.
  9. Bapig

Bapig Member Supporter

Global ID:
    517 083 493
    Leads:
    Lightning
    Wow she need a long way to get a yellow pointy hat after all hahahaha

10. Jvalz

Jvalz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth or Refia
    He is good for now and his TM is really good for mage class.

11. Killerdemon

Leads:
    your argument is valid, however I see it not as spoil but as an advantage to build our teams. look for example at our recent examples. they keep putting new and more powerful units every week and you find yourself with actual limited time and resources to invest in your units. you need to make decisions on which units to invest and evolve. of course there's no guarantee that they'll follow the plan but they're of course aware that the community is following what happens in jpn and they wouldn't be stupid to change things so dramatically as having a mob remaing at 5 stars when in jpn they are 6...They have been doing some small changes like they did with this last trial and I think we can expect more in the future, but only small things to keep us surprised or eventually some more exclusive units. at least it's what I think... which could be wrong of course.. let's see what they do with tilith for example

12. Gronio

Gronio Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    I agree it's an advantage, don't get me wrong.
    But to give you an example, I like to discover things, and I don't mind losing to a boss before finding the right strategy, etc...
    Same for the units, I think I maxed nearly all the units I pulled in the beginning, not knowing if they were 3,4 or 5* max. It's part of the game experience to fail, make mistakes etc...
    So when I see such beautiful units as the next banner, I don't really want to know if they will be future proof, I know they're way better than what I have and that's enough for me!

Auror and tatunga like this.
  13. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    JP cannot get base 3* in gold crystals, and IIRC this also apply to rainbows as well.

AKA no Shadow in gold crystals. No 4* Fran (my daily pull today) either

We are not spoiled.

14. Killerdemon

Leads:
    Yeah I know what you mean... And that was the reason why I almost maxed cyan at the beginning... But if you think about it you'll see that even if we hadn't jpn people would always discuss those things in the forums and would be of little surprise for you anyway. nevertheless let me say that even if an unit don't get a future upgrade like I was firstly implying, that doesn't mean they won't get the love they deserve. examples:tellah, lenna, agrias, leo amaranth... Those are units (agrias still doesn't have an upgrade yet, only strong rumours) who are very nice for the moment and still got the love they deserved imo, despite being at the time people invested in them "forever 5".
    about discovery... again you could just refrain from reading the strategy guides here. I'm not saying that you should buzz of. It's just like when you played AoEmpires and you knew the cheat for gold or wood, but you wouldn't use it just to make it harder.
    the guides usually are written for the best or at least most suitable units and party, but in most cases one misses at least one of the MVP units which means that even with those guides and other stuff you'll always still need to find the adequate strategy for your party,which could end up on a very different party from other people. or even wwfina who everybody saying that she's not worth it...Im still maxing her because of reasons... And cuz I don't really know if I'm ever going to get anything better... Anyway TLDR everything depends on your playing style and your ability to resist "seeing the future".
    Peace

15. encrypt

encrypt Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Burritos, Tacos
    My half pull today! Glad it was a good one :)

16. DaMadDog420

DaMadDog420 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis,White Knight Noel
    I'll finally have a capable mage team now thanks to arc lol.

17. Sorwen

Sorwen Well-Known Member

I got him on a free ticket pull. It is sad he is saddled with Death. Only thin worse than Gravity for an attack power in later game. I think he is a good unit if you don't have other mages already since he is the only automatic dual caster 5 star. I don't think he is worth breaking the bank for. If you didn't get Lightning then Luneth is and you migth get Arc trying to get him. Or Refia.

As for the whole JP thing I have to agree using it to plan is a good thing unless you're a whale or RNG really really loves you. I'm in between both. Spent a little money and have gotten a few good pulls. Even at that though I was having real issues getting any vale out of any of the events.

That's the thing. If all you want to do is story then you can at least make it through eventually, but most of the events so far you needed to complete really difficult stuff to get the good rewards. Then you almost always need those best rewards in the next event. It is a vicious cycle. I started late and hard a hard time till I got lucky and just managed to get Chirijiraden with OMV. That with some good pulls with WoL, CoD, Chizuru, Lenna, and Tellah has allowed me to start to get above water.

Anyway to keep a long story from getting longer being able to know if trying tovpull is a wasted time means that you can save those precious resources for another time when they could be put to a much more important use.

18. Recca

Recca Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza or COD
    actually agrias have receive her 6* star awakened form in jp not long before ( i forget, around last week )

19. Revenge

Revenge Dark Messenger VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Chizuru
    There is not many mages that can equip a Sword. And by equiping a Sword, you would loose the 80+ mag from a rod.

20. Jim1211

Jim1211 New Member

Refia on the first daily pull, ingus on the second day, arc on the third day. Am i lucky or what :) will i get luneth on the fourth day? I wish i will.