1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Cecil [Final Fantasy 4]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He's a bad guy gone good? Yep, that's right today I will be talking about Cecil. One of the games best tanks wanna know why that is? Well, sit back and grab a drink cause I can tell you all here!

[​IMG]
    Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 573 / 1736 (150) 22 / 68 (25) 20 / 60 (10) 22 / 68 (14) 17 / 53 (10) 18 / 55 (10) 3 2
    4* 739 / 2240 (210) 29 / 88 (35) 26 / 78 (14) 29 / 87 (18) 22 / 68 (14) 23 / 70 (14) 4 2
    5* 924 / 2800 (240) 36 / 110 (40) 32 / 97 (16) 36 / 109 (24) 28 / 85 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 5 2
    6* 1201 / 3640 (390) 47 / 143 (65) 42 / 126 (26) 47 / 141 (34) 36 / 110 (26) 38 / 114 (26) 6 2

Magic Levels at 5*: White Magic Level 6, Green Magic Level 5
    Resistances: +50% resistance to Light element | Weaknesses: None
    Resistances [6*]: +100% resistance to Light element | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Master Award: Excalibur (Weapon) +120 ATK, Holy element
    Limit Break [5*]: AoE +40% DEF/SPR for three turns > +59% DEF/SPR for three turns.
    Limit Break [6*]: AoE +50% ATK/DEF/SPR for three turns -> +74% ATK/DEF/SPR

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Examine, Cure, Protect, Shell, Cover
    4*: Cura, Dispel.
    5*: +10% DEF, Demon Slayer, Sentinel
    6*: Holy Light (1), HP +20% (20), High Tide (30), Curaja (40), ATK +20% (48), Focus (82), DEF +20% (84), Saint Wall (100)

Please Note: Following the sudden leak of his 6*, I've decided to add the details, and review his improved 6* there's no ETA of when he will be released, and many people have asked personally for me to start doing 6* reviews by the leak that was posted via Reddit I can say that 6* Cecil may very well be one of the first 6* units to come to the game of course this is not 100% confirmed. Link here: Leaked Cecil 6* evo screen

Pros: Cecil has a really really strong start in the game. As a 3* the bare minimum you can summon him he already starts with both Protect/Shell, and Cure which is very good! As most units learn the abilities much later on in their skill tables respectively. Cecil also has other great abilities like Dispel which won't be super great now but in the future where bosses do actually begin to buff themselves then Cecil would be a great option here the only times Dispel is needed in current GL content is against 2* espers as they do have self buffs. This is where Cecil truly shines at is being a supportive tank he has the perfect amount of stats (and passives), a wonderful HP/DEF/SPR stats to boot as well? Yeah, Cecil has this all. The best pro about Cecil right now is his ability Sentinel which is a buffed version of Cover what this does is has a 30% chance to block any attack done to him, and to your allies this ability is simply OP. As he can be your saving grace to weaker units i.e. if you're using 4* like Rydia they're more likely to die cause of their weaker stats imagine if a hit would hit her but Cecil blocked it with boosted defenses on his part? It's a saving grace, but as it is now it's DEFINITELY not something you wanna lean on. 30% is alright, but not compared to his 6* version which is 75% chance.

Cons: Cecil has only one wasted ability and that's Demon Slayer most of the time Cecil will be used to buff units, heal, and remove buffs from a opponent he won't be seeing that much of attacking action this combined with the fact he doesn't learn any offensive moves to support the ability it's just wasted imo. I would've preferred maybe another boost in stats, or another WM move like Esuna, perhaps. Speaking of Esuna, Cecil does lack some base support moves of course you can again craft some but you'd have to use a ability slot to make sure he can use it. If he'd gotten the ability to remove from level ups alone his tanking ability would be a S class forsure. But, for now him as a 5* is a A+.

Differences From his 5*: Cecil is back, and back is a understatement of how much improved he is. I know it's a 6* but, he is I never really said here is that Cecil lacked some useful innate stat ups to make him more useful, and boost his survival chance he lacked a solid HP% up buff, and only had a measly +10% DEF buff as his only boost. Don't get me wrong, Cecil already had a nice HP stat so it wasn't underwhelming just would've been appreciated more in his case. Now with him being a 6*, he gets a very strong +50% in DEF in total from DEF +10%, DEF +20%, and Holy Light which is +20% DEF, and +50% resistance to light attacks. I also in his 5* form lacked a useful MAG stat to fully utilize his Cure moves but with him now having Focus he can easily make up for the meh amount of MATK that he has and it's alright-ish for a 6* but since he's not specializing in MAG/SPR I can let that go. High Tide is actually amazing for Cecil and personally he has one of the best LBs in the game. With his LB you're getting a buff in three of your 4 stats which is very great! With High Tide he will be able to spam it more commonly than other units. And the last best thing is his buffed Sentinel move called Holy Light. At any given attack aimed at your units he has a 75% chance to guard them.. I want you to set that in... 75% chance? That's probably the highest we have even seen something before and it's even on something so niche! Pretty much every turn he's probably gonna guard somebody.

Trust Master Award: I don't really need to explain as it's real straightforward. His sword is very strong as for Trust Masteries that give swords as a equip he has the highest in the game tied with his dark counterpart (JP) both giving a +120 ATK stat. However, as a use for Cecil I wouldn't use it for Cecil himself since he's well a tank, and doesn't need to use all that attack power so it would be a good equip for other units you have that can use great swords.

Compared to Other Units: The future released unit Celes is a bit real close to Cecil. Cecil is better for his defenses, and overall HP. While Celes has the ability to put damage on the table with her blizzard line of spells she also gets Faith to buff herself, and other teammates a buff Cecil doesn't have. She also learns Concentrate earlier than he does she learns it at 5* level 80, while he learns it at 6* level 82. As for any other comparisons there isn't any others besides Celes.

Conclusion: Cecil is gonna be a great tank for a long time, even in JP's meta (the little I know of it.) he's still a top tier tank. So, he should be around on the charts for a long time. He has great stats, a good support poll, good LB and a wonderful TM award. I recommend Cecil 100% for current GL content. The only real bummer is that he doesn't have any real status support for himself, and allies. But, as for everything he needs to do as a unit he's a great pull.

Conclusion [6*]: If you have 6* Cecil, you should be happy. Hes surely gonna be a great, and easy pick for any type of hard content to bless the game he's pretty much always recommended for any trial, event, or some of the more challenging quest cause he's so effective at doing his job as a tank than he did as a 5* so get on your knees and kiss RNGesus for blessing you with such a effective tank cause even in current JP meta he has yet to be replaced.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. DanT

DanT That deaf, dumb and blind kid... VIP Supporter

You and Ryudo are doing a great job with these overviews. Keep it up!

Jet Stingren likes this.
  3. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c The Heretic VIP Supporter

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Cecil for life!

Kitt Chaos and Jose like this.
  4. robert

robert Member

May i know how sentinel works? Should i guard all the time with cecil?

5. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Updated with 6* details.

Read: Differences From 5* to have most of his new abilities discussed.

6. Kandacat

Kandacat Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    754 479 837
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Cecil!!! My dude!!! My first top tier unit!!! We made it buddy!!! The 6* is here!!! we've been through so much and finally the wait is over *manlytear

Orbis, sesame13, Jose and 1 other person like this.
  7. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Cecil is god!

Kitt Chaos and Jose like this.
  8. Night

Night Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    Cant wait for this! Gief 6* noooow!!!

xTeKt0n1c likes this.
  9. Kandacat

Kandacat Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    754 479 837
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Aaah at last the recognition nyum nyum nyum

xTeKt0n1c likes this.
  10. raintree

raintree Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Bad news no 6* cecio for global version

11. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Blasphemy and epic Trollage!

12. JChunks

JChunks Ayaka doesnt want me :( VIP Supporter JP Moderator

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: RIP JP: Landu
    I like Cecil more than Wol, I wish I had him :(

13. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Mate, I noticed in the Differences From 5* section, you mentioned Holy Light, I reckon it should be Saint Wall instead?

14. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    No Holy Light is the passive he gets when he gets to 6*. It's 20% DEF + 50% Light Resist. Saint Wall is the 75% chance to block a attack aimed at a ally,

15. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Ah now I get it, his new buffs stack up and Saint Wall make him an Op tank. Thanks!

16. RyedeR

RyedeR Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Vaan, Kefka, Cecil, Artemios, Chizuru
    Cecil is my favorite tank tbh. But right now till he gets his 6*, amarant and wol outclassed him.. still one of the best looking sprite and very nice TMR..

17. Chindo

Chindo Active Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL : Cecil JP : Eileen
    This is my first final fantasy, and my first pull is 5* cecil (atm i mistaken him with her).When i see he will be ones of the best i just so happy

18. Urutan-yensa

Urutan-yensa New Member

In JP cecils one of the best tanker unit, its just really hard to defeat a team in arena if they have cecil in their team.... his saintwall no comment haha.... And u really need a good tank in future raid / arena, even u need 2 tanks.... Srry for my bad english lol

19. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    haha got 2 cecil from 250 pull, future 2 excalibur yisss

20. G-Dub

G-Dub Active Member Supporter

Just went for a 500 lapis YOLO pull hoping for Lightning, and got Cecil! Sounds like I might be better off with him anyways!