1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Dark Fina [Final Fantasy BE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Diego Vargas

Diego Vargas Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    Sorry Jet, the first point doesn't matter given the proper end game config ExDeath can get.

Consider these two builds:
    Code:
        Dark Fina 6 Star
        FFBEDB Unit Calculator
        Right Hand: Omnirod +20ATK+91MAG
        Left Hand: Omnirod +20ATK+91MAG
        Head: Creepy Mask +15MP+15DEF+30MAG
        Body: Lordly Robe +45DEF+35MAG+35SPR
        Accessory 1: Genji Glove +10%ATK/MAG & Dual Wield
        Accessory 2: Magistral Crest +30%MAG+30%SPR
        Ability 1: Dark Bond +30%MAGwithRod/+20%MAGwithRobe
        Ability 2: Dark Bond +30%MAGwithRod/+20%MAGwithRobe
        Ability 3: Dark Bond +30%MAGwithRod/+20%MAGwithRobe
        Ability 4: Dark Bond +30%MAGwithRod/+20%MAGwithRobe
        Esper: Ramuh HP:2800 MP:6200 ATK:1600 DEF:1100 MAG:5900 SPR:4500
        Total Stats: HP: 3890 MP: 408 ATK: 211 DEF: 217 MAG: 710 SPR: 280

Code:
        Exdeath 6 Star
        FFBEDB Unit Calculator
        Right Hand: Enhancer +82ATK+23MAG
        Left Hand: Omnirod +20ATK+91MAG
        Head: Grand Helm +45DEF+100%Sleep/Silence/Confuse+20%DEF with Heavy Armor
        Body: Force Armor +51DEF+13SPR+10%Fire/Ice/Lightning
        Accessory 1: Genji Glove +10%ATK/MAG & Dual Wield
        Accessory 2: Magistral Crest +30%MAG+30%SPR
        Ability 1: Letters and Arms +50% MAG Sword
        Ability 2: Letters and Arms +50% MAG Sword
        Ability 3: Letters and Arms +50% MAG Sword
        Ability 4: Letters and Arms +50% MAG Sword
        Esper: Ramuh HP:2800 MP:6200 ATK:1600 DEF:1100 MAG:5900 SPR:4500
        Total Stats: HP: 3539 MP: 389 ATK: 275 DEF: 269 MAG: 805 SPR: 251

You can see here quite clearly ExDeath is able to reach 805 MAG using his innate sword training and letters and Arms, where Dark Fina is limited to "More proper" mage weapons and stuck around 710.

No, Meteor is the same as Ultima (unattributed area damage) that CAN be dual casted and will hit the same 999 damage Ultima will in the arena but for 10 less MP per cast.

Wicked Light is ExDeaths advantage as he is able to deal rare Holy (Ability Skill), something Dark Fina is incapable of. His Wicked Light was the spell I crushed ELT Dark Fina with (the last hit of my double chizuru chain) due to her vulnerability.

ExDeath also has EarthShaker which like Wicked Light is high output Ability damage working around Silence.

ExDeath is able to get Lv10 Grand Cross for 49 min burst pots, Dark Fina requires 185 burst pots to get the same tier given her 5* base status.

Due to his rarity ExDeath is significantly more likely to be pulled @ 3 star than Dark Fina is at 5 star. ExDeath also doesnt appear to be locked to a banner as I still pull him, where I am sure Dark Fina will disappear once this banner is done.

Comparing Attack Vectors:
    Elements ExDeath and Dark Fina Share (4) : Gravity, Lightning, Earth, Dark, Non-Elemental
    Elements Exclusive to ExDeath (3) : Fire, Ice, Holy
    Elements Exclusive to Dark Fina (2) : Air, Water

Conclusion: ExDeath has more attack elements.

Comparing Utility:
    Exdeath: Strip enemy buffs (Dispel), Reduce All element resistance (Imperil), Absorb Mana (Osmose), Buff target MAG by 20% (Faith)
    Dark Fina: Reduce Physical ATK/DEF (Physical Fall), Inflict Random Status Ailments (Distress and to a lesser degree bioga), Absorb Mana (Osmose)

Conclusion: Distress is kind of a meh skill. Against vulnerable(unprotected) enemies they can have great success, I am not a huge fan of status ailments as wearing a ribbon or any number of the other more common items (Jeweled Ring) can take most of the sting out of these skills. (Distress is not Fire Flask, as Flask hits freaking hard is hybrid damage bypassing certain defenses and fire element and double activated with dual wield). The poison aspect of Bioga is matched by the ability Bio Blaster so this isnt a huge deal either. So then we have Physical Fall which arguably helps non mages more than it helps her as it reduces the DEF of the enemies. Contrast this to ExDeath who can strip off powerful effects from enemies via Dispel such as Boss ATK/MAG boosts or soften up elemental resists so all damage dealers (magical or physical) can hit harder on a target. ExDeath also has the ability to further increase himself or another targets MAG with Faith as required.

Overall verdict is Dark Fina is a great mage, but to say she is better than ExDeath is overstating her capabilities in any practical manner.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    seilaoque and Masteis like this.
  2. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    People from JP always forget that Letters and Arms stacks in Global. Their opinions on the unit are already biased from JP, but mages in Global can become a lot stronger.

3. saikanoi

saikanoi Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive ATK 1167
    that mean if looking only damage output with full option TMs - Exdeath more than D.Fina . right?

4. Ech

Ech Active Member

Well i tried
    I have to say i tried the same equips and noticed dark bond doesnt stacks so just change that with mag 30% and D. Fina gets 876 mag

5. Danis

Danis Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    She is extremely versatile. I like the fact that she has an aoe status ailment skill, as well as Physical fall (decrease att/def 40%). [​IMG] Waterga, [​IMG] Aeroga, and [​IMG] Stonga are also really neat to have. Exdeath has Earth Shaker which cannot be casted twice in the same turn. Stonga can be casted twice.

Sparkle likes this.
  6. Shadowblight

Shadowblight Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Damn spent another 100 but at least I got a rainbow crystal and it turned into...
    5*....
    Elle (sigh 1200$ and no Luneth no Gilgamesh no Noctis no Elze and no Dark Fina

sigh about to give up on any of these champions tired of when I am lucky enough to pull 5* crystal they tend to be 3 or 4* base every time.

7. Khidir

Khidir Well-Known Member

The help description for Distress is kind of vague to me on the wiki I was playing with a friend's Dark Fina and got a bit of help

The cool thing about Distress is you never "miss out" on a new debuff for example

You use Distress #1...

the target has blind

You use Distress #2

the target has poison

You use Distress #3

The target has disease

So each time you cast it it will always check the target and not reapply the buffs currently active on the target so you aren't wasting mp if you are trying to stack debuffs for some reason. For multiple targets it does seem random what each one will get ie just because one got blind doesn't mean the other 3 will.

8. justadude123

justadude123 Well-Known Member

I have a question here,
    If i am not wrong, Ex-Death Transcender passive - Increase magical damage against humans, birds, beasts, plants and bugs (30%). Applies to all his skills & spells right ?
    So even if Dark fina and Ex-death have the same amount of MAG, Ex-death will still outdamage dark fina against the above 5 category of enemies right?

9. Diego Vargas

Diego Vargas Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    Correct.

ExDeath doing ThunderGa with Transcender

1.3*((800^2 / 300) * 1.8 * (10 + (100 / 10))) = 99,840 damage

DarkFina doing ThunderGa
    (800^2 / 300) * 1.8 * (10 + (100 / 10)) = 76,800 Damage

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    justadude123 likes this.
  10. KyuutenZero

KyuutenZero Well-Known Member Supporter

I fricken got her... happiness aint even a word at this point haha. Now just to ppwer level and grab this tm T__T

ChronoTrigger84 likes this.
  11. ChronoTrigger84

ChronoTrigger84 Well-Known Member Supporter

That 760 potential progressive modifier is crazy- especially above 800 MAG... I'll take fina over ex anyday.

Valmanway likes this.
  12. Orbis

Orbis Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    I have both, and I honestly can't decide which is better. You really can't go wrong with either one.

On a more practical note, it is easier to pull multiple Exdeaths and have them Elemental chain from three different elements, as opposed to just Thundaga with Dark Fina.

13. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    You do know my comparisons are based off of units, and their innate movepools only? Not with any equips.

Ultima is 280% mod, -25% SPR Ignore. Meteor is 250%, with -25% SPR. They are not the same.

14. seilaoque

seilaoque Well-Known Member

yes, Exdeath is very good, yes, you can't go wrong with either.
    the argument about being easier to elemental chain with exdeath is again just easier, not better.

For Exdeath to be better you need an argument to warrant his inclusion on a team assuming you actually have both...

If all you think is about the sheer amount of damage, both Exdeath and Dark Fina are really pretty much the same.
    But Fina also has some pretty good support skills that Exdeath lacks.

Sparkle likes this.
  15. seilaoque

something is off about this MAG calculation....
    I mean, if Dark Bond stacks, then the full MAG bonus from 4 copies of it is the same % as the full bonus from Letters and Arms (50% a piece no matter how you look)
    the rest of Fina's equipment also gives a higher bonus, Omnirod also gives higher MAG bonus than Enhancer.

Seems to me like this calculator is assuming Dark Bond does not stack and thus you're wasting 3 ability slots to gain nothing, and that would explain why Fina's MAG is lower when it should not be.
    I mean, her base MAG is higher (only slightly but higher....) and all the bonuses are higher for Fina, it simply doesn't make sense that the end result is higher for Exdeath, It really seems like the calculator is stacking Letters and Arms but not Dark Bond...
    try replacing 3 Dark bonds for something simple like triple +30% MAG, I'm guessing that this will take Fina's MAG to be on par or higher with Exdeath's.

16. Sotoy_yuk

Sotoy_yuk Well-Known Member

Hello guys, I'm new here.

Thank's for the review jet. Great review as always

I didn't know that letter and arms stack. I fused all my ingus only have 1 now

I've been lucky with this banner and got dark fina. My average equipment only allow her to get 510 mag. While my exdeath got 505 mag. I still chose to use dark fina than exdeath simply because she has physical fall. Combine with noctis thunder flask it allow me to put wol or agrias on bench and have different squad set up

17. winova

winova Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh/Chizuru
    Dark Fina's base mag is 150 +34 from pot = 184
    Genji Glove, Magistral Crest, Dark Bond, 3x Mag+30% and Fina's innate Mag +30% give her a total of 210% Mag bonus (10% + 30% + 50% + 30%*3+ 30%)
    2x Omnirod, Creepy Mask, Lordly Robe & Ramuh give her +306 mag (91*2+30+35+59)
    So, BIS Dark Fina's Mag is 184 * (1+2.1)+306 = 876 >805

Exdreath can deal more with thundaga thanks to Transcender giving him 30% bonus to total damage output, but Dark Fina will be slightly better when casting Ultima vs Exdeath's Meteor [Fina 876^2 * 2.8/(1-0.25) > Exdeath 805^2 *2.5/(1-0.25)*1.3].
    Dark Fina is more useful than Exdeath in the arena, with Distress, Physical Fall, Revoke, Auto-Refresh (to deal with lance/osmose, allowing you to cast osmose & -ga spells the following turn) and Retaliate (with dice, lucii & evade, Dark Fina can solo nuke your physical team to oblivion). The only reason I would want Exdeath over Dark Fina is that I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶D̶.̶F̶i̶n̶a̶ Enhanced Ultima's frame delay per hit is 37, so it's hard to chain Ultima, unless you have 2+ Dark Fina. Getting even 1 Dark Fina is already dream come true for me (doing 250 lapis + 1 ticket daily, I have yet to get a single unit from this banner), and I have enough Exdeath to make a forest (non-elemental chain is not that amazing though). So yeah, Dark Fina is better than Exdeath, but not by a large margin, Exdeath is just too good for a 3* unit.

snowburnd and seilaoque like this.
  18. seilaoque

yeah, exdeath is CRAZY GOOD for a 3* base....
    that's why everyone and their mothers use him (and Cecil - and Cecil is even better because his TMR is also pretty crazy, lol) in the arena... lol.

and now, that MAG calculation makes sense :P
    in the previous one, Fina was simply wasting 3 skill slots.

19. snowburnd

snowburnd New Member

Doesn't Comet do this as well?

20. SubZero

SubZero Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    902 071 137
    Leads:
    Noctis
    You should mention that Mages arent going to be used outside of the arena thanks to the elemental chain we can get with Physical DPS with Orlandu. We can already see the big damage we get with 2 noctis (one yours, one of your friend lead) with warp break and same weapon (for elements) like excalibur, Chirinjaden, Demon Schyte etc. The damage will be even bigger with Orlandu Holy explosion and Excalibur because he can lower enemys res to ligth and can elemental chain with another orlandu with the same element.

Mages bigger weakness (aside of MP problems) is the impossibility of chaining due to single hit spells. Jap is trying to give mages spells with more hit (tornado from shantotto 5* or 7hit ultima of Dark fina with Enhancements) but they are still used only in arena. In trials/events they fell behing physical DPS like Orlandu, OK, Noctis, Nyx and so on.

So, no. Dont waste pulls for Dark Fina. She is cool and she is going to be the best mage for a while (until Trance Terra) but you will "soon" bench her when you can give dualwields to your DPS. You better spend those pulls for Orlandu. He should come out in about a month (we should have Ariana grande if they have a banner for her, FFType-0 units and then him).