1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Demon Rain [FFBE: Halloween]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Horns... That is all. Anyway, we're gonna be talking about Demon Rain and how well he stacks in the current GL meta. As usual, leave a comments & questions below. And lastly, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: -50% Ice Attacks | Resistances: +25% Fire/Earth based attacks, +25% Paralyze Resist
    Trust Mastery Award: Infernal Amulet (Accessory): ATK/DEF +20%, Fire/Earth Resistance +20%
    Limit Break: 270% Fire Physical Damage to All enemies -> 390% Fire Physical Damage to all enemies.

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 2834 112 120 89 98 85 6 2
    6* 3684 146 156 116 128 110 6 2

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    HP +10% Boosts users HP +10% - 5 [*****]
    Demonic Cover Chance to protect party member from damage (15%) - 10 [*****]
    Power Break 120% ST Physical Damage to one enemy +15% ATK decrease to enemy for three turns 7 16 [*****]
    Counter 30% chance to counter physical attacks - 22 [*****]
    Defend 50% Damage Reduction (SELF) 8 30 [*****]
    Fira 140% AoE Fire Magic Damage 9 36 [*****]
    Stonra 140% AoE Earth Magic Damage 9 48 [*****]
    Demonic Fury Increases ATK by 30% when HP drops below 30% - 64 [*****]
    Doublehand 50% boost in ATK when single wielding - 80 [*****]
    Summon MAG +20% +20% in Esper Summon Damage - 26 [******]
    Firaga 180% AoE Fire Damage 20 51 [******]
    Cerberus Guard 40% chance to protect party member w 25% damage mitigation - 63 [******]
    Stonga 180% AoE Earth Damage 20 77 [******]
    Ignite AoE Boost ATK/MAG by 40% 48 85 [******]
    Demon's Revenge Doubles Counter chance - 100 [******]
    Pros: Well, we got our 6* Rain early..? Right? Okay, being serious now. Demon Rain is a pretty okay-ish unit. He has good chances to cover and protect his allies which is slightly improved Cover which is 15% compared to the standard 5% chance which is helpful. Another good thing about him is his ability in Ignite which is a ATK/MAG boost to all allies which would be amazing for nuke based teams cause from Turn 1 they can start to deal the highest damage they can without needing both Cheer/Focus from two different units which is helpful in his case. Doublehand for him allows him to shed his tank/support like status and try to be a strong attacker which would work great but that would be saved for the cons section.

Cons: While he has Doublehand, which is the equal for most 6* in terms of boosts to their stats. Most of them usually get a 50% boost with passives up or even higher. But, the problems with Demon Rain and his doublehand is he doesn't have any naturally learnt damaging skills at all. He's all guard, support, and buffs. You can argue Power Break but that's more so support cause of the ATK debuff effect it has on the enemies it hits so in a sense doublehand would be wasted on him cause he (outside of materia, and equips) couldn't do anything with it. Another bad problem with his doublehand, is his auto procing skills of Demonic Cover, and Cerberus Guard in Doublehand you cannot wear a shield or the effect won't be active. Since Demon Rain is not wearing a shield this reduces his defenses some which means he'd could potential suicide himself cause of auto procing a strong ST attack. So, that puts him at a place of either you wanna use him as a support/tank, or meh like DPS. Another thing about his tanking it wouldn't be as great either. He does have a exceptional HP stat, but he doesn't have any DEF/SPR passives to keep him afloat he's just praying that he has good gear, and the HP to tank it. But, I remind you all that HP is NOT everything in hard content.

Trust Mastery Award: This one is a great TM actually, namely for the ATK/DEF +20% which is great and more well suited for your high DPS units. And gives more boost than Hero Rings. The extra Fire/Earth resistance is pretty niche as well but overall doesn't really add anything to special. But, I do recommend you pick this one up.

Comparing to Other Units

[​IMG] - Ramza

• Ramza has stronger debuffs than Rain
      • Ramza has 50% all status resist, whille Rain only has 25% Paralyze resist.
      • Rain has the more offensively relevant buff cause of the MAG boost, and wouldn't suffer song recoil like Ramza would.
      • Ramza has passives in all stats, while Rain only has a small HP +10% passive.
    Overall Verdict: I would give this one to Ramza, As I said before. While Rain can perform the tank role, in terms of support he can't do anything besides Ignite, and Power Break then he sits and be dormant like. Ramza can debuff both offensive stats of a enemy (40% to Rains 15%), buff ATK/DEF by 40% which works better for survival. And if you're even safe enough, you can even allow him to use Hero's Rime.

[​IMG] - Cecil

• Cecil has many better passives than Rain.
      • Cecils cover in "Saintly Wall" is better than Rains Cerberus Guard
      • Cecil can also heal allies with Curaja.
      • Rain at least has a debuff, while Cecil has no offensive skills at all.
    Overall Verdict: In terms of supporting, and tanking this one has to go to Cecil. Saintly Wall has a massive 75% proc chance, with 50% damage reduction. Compared to Rains 40% proc rate, and 25% damage reduction. That's almost a doubled difference overall which is kinda crazy. Cecil can also keep his teammates healthy with heals, and even if needed outside materia which improves his supporter game more.

Conclusion: Demon Rain is a pretty meh to bad 6*. I would've praised him higher if he had at least some kind of usuable skills to go alongside his doublehand, or something that makes his supporter card more better. Outside of his unique Ignite buff, and his TM he wouldn't be doing anything super great for you. So, I wouldn't be super hyped if I pulled him.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Mikazuki and Rinny like this.
  2. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

Yeah.. counter tank doesnt work as great as a pure tank.. since it isnt as tough as one.. the dmg output from it is also mediocre... stacking defense stats would lose his dps on the counter. Which is inevitable in a hard content where everything dies quick.

3. NDonkey

NDonkey Member

Appreciate the write up. This write up didn't look like it took account the use of stacked Spooky Auras. Would the addition of, let's say, +39% ATK (~60 ATK) change any opinions? I realize that it doesn't affect his skill breadth, but was just curious.

Also, do Cerebus Guard and Demonic Cover stack from a percentage POV? Or does CG take precedence as it has a higher percentage? Or could be evaluated separately?!?

4. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    @NDonkey: These reviews are written on innate movesets, and passives only. There may be mentions of materia but that overall will not change my overall opinion of the unit.

They don't stack, they're the same as their original moves.

5. NDonkey

NDonkey Member

Copy that (pretty sure you mentioned that in another review - apologies for the less than brilliant question). Appreciate the response!

6. nonsense

nonsense Well-Known Member

True, but realistically I think you need to reserve 1 spot for some attack ability (barrage / whatever) , I am pretty disappointed that his relatively high attack stat and doublehand doesn't come with some useable attack ability, heck even WOL comes with bladeblitz.

7. NDonkey

NDonkey Member

That's why I figured on only three Spooky Auras for support - the fourth would be some kind of additional offensive ability that could be tailored for the situation. I'm curious/excited to use him when the time comes and a few TMRs come through.

... of course, this could've also been a colossal waste of cactaurs. ::joy::

8. nonsense

nonsense Well-Known Member

Yeah... well I will still use him, he is the first 5* base I have ever pulled LOL I am sure he will be fine even in harder content. The only thing is to pray that he doesn't "cover" so much , but just do his countering LOL

9. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    I would love to pull him from dailies, he looks pretty.
    On a 2nd thought... if I ever get a rainbow, I wish it's someone else, heck, even DKC/Delita can be better...

10. Kagura

Kagura New Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Delita
    sigh, pulled him and delita from dailies. wished i could trade them both for a lightning.
    i can't even do the event properly without help from friend, serious lacking the much needed damage from the attacking department.