1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Edgar [Final Fantasy 6]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    The more chill between him, and Sabin? That's right. Today, we're looking at the unit Edgar and seeing what he brings to the table. As usual, leave comments, and or opinions as well about this unit. Also, this unit was requested by @David Christian so here you go buddy. :p

[​IMG]
    Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 511 / 1547 (360) 23 / 70 (40) 21 / 64 (16) 19 / 59 (16) 18 / 55 (16) 18 / 56 (16) 2 3
    4* 659 / 1996 (510) 30 / 90 (65) 27 / 83 (26) 25 / 76 (26) 23 / 71 (26) 24 / 73 (26) 3 3

Magic Levels at 4*: White/Black/Green Level 3
    Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Machine Killer (Ability) : +50% to Machine Type Enemies.
    Limit Break: 220% > 290% ST Physical Attack

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Auto-Crossbow, Bio-Blast, Chemist
    4*: Flash, Drill, Chainsaw

Pros: Edgar doesn't have to many strong points I can point out in all honesty. There's a few I'll say here, but yeah. Edgar has good later trait attacks in Drill, and Chainsaw these two moves are his best moves without any doubt and they come with DEF ignore on both of them meaning that he hits harder than what'd you expect. DEF ignoring moves are really good in any type of meta, so this is a + for him. He also gets Bio-Blast which is a real niche move to have on your squad if you wanna beat something by Poison. The best example to use this is on WD Bio-Blast also has the highest proc rate outta most poison attacks being at a very good 50% as opposed to Bioga which is only 20% proc rate.

Cons: Edgar after all of the Pros falls off here, Chemist while seems good on paper is not really that great. While it pretty much means double the amount of HP from any potion you take there's not to many chances you'll need potions especially when you have a healer, even myself I haven't needed to use any sorts of potions in anything right now. It could help him if there was no healer to assist him yes, but come on. Who doesn't have a healer? His stats seems surprisingly low even for a 4* while for the most part his stats are pretty much even none of them are useful in the long haul for a 4* unit. He's also well extremely limited, if you see he only learns 6 abilities that's really it. And after you get Drill, Chainsaw, and Bio-Blast the rest of them are pretty much wasted.

Trust Mastery Award: Machine Killer honestly would be a waste for him, I'd slot it on a more so of a nuker unit, or someone with a really high DPS imo. Machine Killer in itself is a useful ability and great when you want the extra damage against Machine based monsters, however. It's not a ability you WANNA stick with units that naturally learn it would be better to use like Firion, or the soon to be released Lid come with this ability therefore not needing to waste a slot for a potentially better ability, so I'm about 50/50 if you should pick it up. If you want the advantage than pick it up, but usefulness would be rare.

Comparing to Other Units: Edgar, doesn't match up with anyone at 4* who also have DEF ignore, in terms of status namely Poison he also has everyone beat with him having again a 50% proc, and opposed to everyone else like Rydia, and Fran is like 15% on Biora, As for versatility, they beat him easily. DEF ignore is nice to have but Edgar doesn't give anything to the team besides DPS, Rydia gets away with it cause she has elements to work with, and Fran is a debuffer with access to Cura.

Conclusion: I wouldn't really use Edgar tbh. He just seems far to limited. He'd be a good slot for the WD fight cause you wanna poison it as fast, and often as possible. But, other than that he's not really needed anywhere else. He cannot hold his own in any other hard content i.e. Europa, Snow Dragon (Exploration), and so on. So, I'd pass on Edgar he's not super useful as a 4* unit. Niche I'll give him that, but that's all.

2. Celes-9eHY

Celes-9eHY New Member

IIRC Edgar has a pretty high sleep proc with the sleep dagger when using chainsaw/drill though I might be wrong.

3. JayLovesTea

JayLovesTea Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Vaan and Bartz
    Ohohoho I am going to start an argument with you. Edgar was in my team of 5 during the S-5 Int battle and actually faired quite well. He has an AoE Blind that is *really* good as well, yeah you can get it by friend point TMs but that is besides the point. Equip him with Cura and Bar-x-ra skill and he is actually a pretty neat utility hero. I mean, there are better options but not as many as people think unless you are drew a top 10 unit. I believe he is slightly under that top 10 mark.

Elskidor and Sergel02 like this.
  4. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    I'd honestly say he's mid tier. Preferably 15th or so place.

5. David Christian

David Christian New Member

6. Zweiv1

Zweiv1 New Member

His bio blaster is good at poisoning enemies. I use him mostly against high HP monsters.

7. Valmanway

Valmanway Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Olive / Aileen / Noctis / Orlandeau
    I remember in ff6 i love to use this guy and cyan. But he seems under powered here. Nice post btw, enjoying reading these.

David Christian and Jet Stingren like this.
  8. Sergel02

Sergel02 New Member

I also have to disagree on his usefulness. I found his bio blaster and sunbeam skills very useful from trash mobs to bosses. His stats are lower but he's a nice utility guy to balance my team.

Elskidor likes this.
  9. rexksvii

rexksvii Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kefka
    Bio Blaster can be crafted, this makes Edgar less useful to keep on your team. Maybe somebody can have a very good time with 4 star units(if he got a very solid built team), but 4 star is really lacking behind. Hope he got 5 star upgrade because his AoE skill is pretty good

10. Elskidor

Elskidor Ascended Member

Maybe I don't have a ton of great characters to work with, but when it comes to the big challenges that are exploitable to poison or blind, he's off the bench and brings enough to the table to edge out a victory. Love to see what he's gonna do at 5*, but my 5* Zidane often already gets the boot in my 4* Edgar's favor. He serves the team like a boss.
    1302747836239.jpg

11. Myzt

Myzt New Member

One thing that I use Edgar for is his capability to do Element Chains using his Chainsaw ability and an element sword. My team deals constant thunder element chain using Vivi, Krille and Edgar (with Coral Sword). He can really dish out crazy amounts of damage through this setup