1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Exdeath [Final Fantasy 5]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He's a tree mean't to destroy the world. That's right we're talking about Exdeath and how well he compares to the Global meta. As usual, leave comments, and discussions below. And lastly, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: -50% Weak to Light Damage | Resistances: +10% Poison Resist
    Trust Mastery Award: Holy (Spell): 230% ST Light Damage
    Limit Break: 270% AoE 1 Hit Dark Magic Attack & 4 Random Status Effects (+50% All Status Effects) -> 390% AoE 1 Hit Dark Magic Attack & 4 Random Status Effects (+74% All Status Effects)

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 491 / 1489 (150) 30 / 90 (35) 18 / 56 (10) 17 / 52 (10) 23 / 69 (10) 19 / 59 (10) 6 1
    4* 634 / 1921 (210) 38 / 116 (45) 24 / 72 (14) 22 / 67 (14) 29 / 89 (14) 25 / 76 (14) 8 1
    5* 792 / 2401 (240) 48 / 145 (60) 30 / 90 (16) 28 / 84 (16) 37 / 112 (16) 31 / 95 (16) 10 1
    6* 1030 / 3121 (390) 62 / 188 (85) 39 / 117 (26) 36 / 109 (26) 48 / 145 (26) 41 / 123 (26) 12 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Gravity 50% ST Target HP Damage 12 4 [***]
    Osmose ST 30% Attack w/ 30% MP Drain 10 13 [***]
    Dispel ST Buff/Debuff Removal 7 34 [***]
    Firaga 180% AoE Fire Magic Attack 20 26 [****]
    Thundaga 180% AoE Thunder Magic Attack 20 26 [****]
    Blizzaga 180% AoE Ice Magic Attack 20 26 [****]
    Imperil ST 3 Turn -20% All Elements Resist 15 41 [****]
    Faith ST +20% MAG buff for three turns 8 60 [****]
    MAG +30% Boost user MAG stat by 30% - 20 [*****]
    Graviga AoE 75% of Targets HP 20 53 [*****]
    Auto Regen ST ~60 HP Heal w/ 1.2x Mod per Turn - 72 [*****]
    Species Supremacy 30% Magic Damage against Human/Plant/Bird/Bug enemies - 1 [******]
    Earth Shaker 180% AoE Earth Attack 20 32 [******]
    Meteor 250% AoE 1 Hit Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND 50 50 [******]
    MP +20% Boosts users MP stat by 20% - 65 [******]
    Dual Black Magic Can Cast Two Black Magic Spells 0 80 [******]
    Evil Light 280% AoE 1 Hit Light Magic Attack + Ignore -25% MND 65 100 [******]
    Pros:

All 3 Basic Elements (Past): In the past, Exdeath was the only unit to have 3 of the most common elemental spells in the game which is something that definitely pushed him to be the then top mage. Most mages that was around (the beginning of the game) only had 1-2 elements meaning they would miss on a chance to be able to counter a enemy if it was weak to the missed element that they didn't have.

(Current): In current meta, seeing a unit with 3 of the common elements isn't a big whoop now but more so as standard. As for now in his 6* form, he still has the great elements to use in all sources of content. Even now, he even gets Earth & Holy added to his
    arsenal making him more reliable, and usable cause he's able to hit more enemies for weaknesses.

Magic Based Slayers (Current): For any mage, this is amazing and simply a godsend imo. The reason why this is great is cause slayers in general have only been gifted to primarily attacking based units, there wasn't any slayers that benefit mages until now. It may not be as strong as a standard slayer being 50% boost as opposed to Exdeaths 30% boost but for him to simply have it alone makes him alot more dangerous in curtain things that I will be bringing up later in the post.

- SPR Ignore Moves: (Current): In his 6*, he has access to two very powerful moves in Meteor, and Holy Light both of these moves comes with the standard of -25% ignore but to the SPR stat instead of DEF like our attackers have had. Again, something that's really good for someone like Exdeath. He already alone hits pretty hard due to his passives, and possible slayer boosts. But, these moves make his damage way more better and is easily highly recommended for any hard based content to come in the game. The best meta users have their highest niche cause of moves that ignore stats cause of the extra firepower and Exdeath is now here to add to this.

Dual Black Magic: (Current): Jesus, Exdeath just how many blessings can you recieve? Well, this one alone is what will really sell it for Exdeath imo. He can now cast two spells at once. If you remember Arc, you know how good this would be for him and his damage on the board. I don't really need to explain why this one is that good. It's just again another wonderful blessing for Exdeath really.

Cons:
    Lack of MAG based Equipment: (Both): One main issue that Exdeath always had is he didn't have the typical stuff for mages like the ability to wear hats, and robes which lowered his overall boost to his MAG stat. In return, he got more heavy armor, and shields which in this case isn't a true con, more so a pro/con. It's good cause Exdeath isn't squishy like all the mages before & after him are making him more relevant to use in harder battles cause he could sustain himself. It's a con cause he misses out on some extra MAG stats for more firepower. In this way, Exdeath is more so a tanky DPS mage than the usual pure DPS mage.

MP Heavy (Current): This issue bothered Exdeath a bit as a 5* on more longer levels like explorations on maps, but this time in his 6* it gets to be more worse. Since most players are going for as much damage as possible with Exdeath using his Dual Black Magic + Meteor, or elemental spells will quickly drain his MP fast without warning really. He does at least get Osmose so he could refill his MP against hard bosses but the simple fact is that you'll probably be doing this alot in drawn out fights if your team doesn't hit the boss hard enough.

PvP Arena:
    What makes Exdeath so good here is three things really. Human Slayer + DBM + SPR ignore attacks. This is all you really need for him to just simply go off in Arena turns. As a result of this he's well busted in PvP Arena. Even the most common tank in Arena Cecil won't last too long in PvP Arena. Even without trying Exdeath can actually break the damage cap of 999 when he element chains his attacks which you already know what's gonna happen then if he's able to chain alongside other Exdeath. Yeah, Exdeath is honestly busted in PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Eh, I wouldn't really grind out a Holy TM cause it's not really that great. It does yes, beat out the basic moves like Banish, and is even stronger than other TMs like Sunbeam. But, I don't see a full use of Holy even if bosses are weak to light. I would pass on this one, or get it if you really want it. But, I wouldn't be trying for it imo.

Comparing to Other Units:

Unfortunately, when this review was originally posted by @Catsaber, there was no mages who could compete with Exdeath as he downright beat them. The whole premise of the revamped review is taking it from then and updating it to now. There has been mages to come after Exdeath i.e. Kefka, and Tellah who was better but this comparison was based on the then units that was around. And they wasn't here when the thread was posted.

See Catsaber's review here!

Exdeath also doesn't have any pure 6* mages to compete with as he is the first one to be released on Global. So, this one will be skipped.

Conclusion:
    Exdeath now is a amazing mage who will hold his place in the meta once again due to all of his wonderful improvements made in his 6* status so I would honestly recommend raising one ASAP cause he's a 6* mage, and he does come with alot of great assets to hard battles so I fully recommend him to anything really.

2. HeartnetXIII

HeartnetXIII Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Thank you jet.... :)

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  3. Jongiks

Jongiks Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, thank you for the review. Time to get grinding.

4. Dandman

Dandman Well-Known Member

really excited for this since ExD was my very first 5 star unit when I started the game. i have a 2nd one which I may raise depending on how good he's going to be. 2 ExDeaths in PVP may be able to wipe it!

5. Emeiru

Emeiru Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ekusudesu / Luneth
    Thanks @Jet Stingren!

Exdeath would really be your burst-type mage, and with that he'll be invaluable in PvP, as you would need to deal the best damage in one round else your opponent would just redo it with Curaja.

HJX:p likes this.
  6. Valen

Valen Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Waifu
    Did someone say ExD?

[​IMG]

The temptation on an ExDs team it's huge!

Thanks for the ExD's overview.

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  7. Syrus

Syrus Member

Jyeezus dude.

How bad will that lag your game, though? Ten meteors a round have GOT to be murder on your framerate

Hillgigas209 likes this.
  8. Chrisbeloved

Chrisbeloved Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    that equipment limit hurts

9. Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit Member

Would Ingus's TM, Letters and Arms, with a Ehancer Sword be Exdeath's best loadout?

10. Gatsu

Gatsu Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DKC dw barrage
    Yes Deranged. Jet you should mention that in GL, Ingus' TM Letters and Arms does stack, unlike JP. This means that ExDeath is our "best budget unit" much like Garland was in JP with his dual hand stacking. Highest MAG possible on ExDeath currently = Enhancer Mainhand, Stellar Shield offhand, and 4x Letters and Arms. Puts him over 700 mag with trial and event equips and 3* TMs.

11. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    @Gatsu: I've said this before, I do not include TMs for a unit when doing a review. The review is strictly on the units innate abilities, and moves.

Discussing TMs would literally defeat the purpose of having cons, and other minor issues. As they usually cover a units weakness.

12. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    I'm ready to wreck havoc!

Attached Files:

Hillgigas209, G-Dub and Valen like this.
  13. Artery

Artery Member Supporter

Why is he more dangerous in curtain things?!

Sorry, but it made me laugh.

Great review, definitely makes me wanna pull for him!

14. Eckynoxe

Eckynoxe Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Elza, Refia, Tilith, ExDeath
    Now Exdeath is getting his dual black magic, Arc is going to the ground. Bye bye Arc, you were cool for at least three weeks ! :(

15. Gronio

Gronio Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Would you share one? His pokedex slot is still empty on my side :(

16. Luckyguy18

Luckyguy18 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    basically 2 words, NUKE EVERYTHING!!!!

17. rezak

rezak Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:

I have the same thing going on here. .... plus a 5th for the days I'm bored and feel like straight up trying to blow things up.

18. Shadowblight

Shadowblight Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    What other items are you equipt on him to get 700 mag
    My best figure is around 574 mag since base mag at 6* is 145
    145 + 30% (passive that he learns) + 40% ( 2 earrings at 20% each)+ 200% (4 Letters and Arms abilities at 50% each if sword is equiped) which totals 536.5

then add equipment which all I see that he gains mag from is sword and shield.

536.5 + 23mag (Enhancer Sword) and + 15mag (Stellar shield) for a total of 574 mag.

19. Eckynoxe

Eckynoxe Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Elza, Refia, Tilith, ExDeath
    You would also get a bit from the esper. That's like 50 more.

20. kurizu

kurizu Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Noctis | JP Balthier
    145 base + 26 from pots => 171 max possible base.

171+171*(0.4(earr)+2.0(letters)+0.3(innate))+23(sword)+60(ramuh)+15(shield) => 730.7