1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Fang [Final Fantasy 13]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Vanille's only friend, and a strong minded woman who accepted her focus. That's right we're talking about Fang and how well she compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave comments and questions below. And enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weakness: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Equip Lance (Materia): Can Equip Lances
    Limit Break: 250% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -30% ATK Debuff -> 345% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -49% ATK Debuff

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 504 / 1526 (150) 22 / 68 (25) 22 / 66 (14) 17 / 53 (10) 17 / 53 (10) 17 / 53 (10) 2 3
    4* 655 / 1984 (210) 29 / 89 (35) 28 / 86 (18) 23 / 70 (14) 23 / 69 (14) 23 / 69 (14) 3 3
    5* 851 / 2580 (240) 38 / 116 (40) 37 / 113 (24) 30 / 92 (16) 30 / 90 (16) 30 / 90 (16) 4 3

Icon Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    [​IMG] Jump 1 Turn Jump + 180% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 7 1 [***]
    [​IMG] HP +10% Boosts users HP by 10% - 40 [***]
    [​IMG] Flamestrike 140% ST 1 Hit Fire Physical Attack 7 12 [****]
    [​IMG] Aquastrike 140% ST 1 Hit Ice Physical Attack 7 23 [****]
    [​IMG] Counterstrike 30% Chance Counter Physical Attacks - 38 [****]
    [​IMG] Beast Killer +50% Damage to Beast enemies - 60 [****]
    [​IMG] Dispel ST Removes Buffs From Target 7 30 [*****]
    [​IMG] ATK +20% Boosts users ATK stat by 20% - 52 [*****]
    [​IMG] High Jump Boosts Jump Damage by 100% - 62 [*****]
    [​IMG] Area Blast 180% AoE Physical Attack 17 72 [*****]
    [​IMG] Lady Luck [GL Exclusive] Boosts users ATK/DEF stat by 15% - 78 [*****]
    [​IMG] Spear Master +20% ATK when holding Spears - 80 [*****]
    Pros:
    Usable Slayers: The way Fang is designed. She easily falls into the "Dragoon" type of unit in the game. The main problem with most of our dragoons is that they couldn't use their slayers cause their only attacking move would be Jump. In Fang's case, she can actually use her slayer cause she has other attacking moves on her that would proc them. If you didn't know, Jump doesn't proc any slayers when you come down on the second turn. Basically, making them useless to have on a unit.

High ATK Total Passives: Fang actually has a higher total passive than some of our 6*, and that's saying something. Most of the 6* we have cap at around a 50% total boost to their ATK stats. In Global, she was slightly buffed with a additional +15% ATK/DEF boost to her movepool. Which puts her very high as a good 5* attacker cause in total she has a 55% ATK up buff when she has all of them active. And that's really strong coming from someone who's only a 5* base.

High DPS Potential: Fang as I said before has a max 55% ATK passive from her movepool, combined with the fact that she covers most types of DPS would make her solid for content. She would only be missing -DEF ignore moves in her movepool to make her a complete attacker. But, what she has now is decent, she lacks any real high mods like anything over 200%+ would've definitely pushed her higher in my opinion. But, as for what she has now. It's solid.

Cons:
    Lack of Support: Having units that can cover other bases in teams always warrants them more reason to be used. Fang however doesn't really have any real supportive moves to use. The only one would be Dispel which is depending on the content at hand. This isn't anything to bad about her personally though. She's just designed to be 100% damage, and that's what she is.

PvP Arena:
    Fang would be pretty solid here actually. She has what you need out of a decent attacker. She has a AoE, ST moves for sniping enemies. She's still a 5* max, so this means she's inclined to die from atttacks more easier from damage from higher tiered units..

Trust Mastery Award:
    Just no. This one is simply no worth it to get.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Kain
    • Fang has higher total ATK passives than Kain (55% on Fang), (40% on Kain)
    • Fang has other outs of damages besides Jump moves, while Kain can only use Jump moves,
    • Kain has higher boosted modifiers on his Jump moves.
    Overall Verdict: For this one, in terms of Jump Damage I would give it to Kain easily. After all his passives are added he gets a massive 400% modifier when he uses his base Jump alone. Which would beat Fang who's only at a 280% modifier on hers. The only good thing from Fang is she's more consistent with damage cause Kain can only attack once per 2 turns (using Jump & Dragoon Dive) but Fang can actually afford to attack every turn which is better for racking up damage constantly to a opponent. I would give this one to Kain though for Jumping. But, Fang for consistency.

[​IMG] - Freya
    • Fang has more ATK/DEF passives than Freya.
    • Freya has more supportive options than Fang.
    Overall Verdict: Fang is far better than Freya when it comes to dealing damage. Like Kain, Freya can only use her Jump skill as her main attacking ability and the damage comes every 2 turns. But, she only has a slighly enhanced mod (same as Fang) at 280%. While Fang has more damaging options per turn. Freya does have supportive heals which can help the team out but most of the time they aren't gonna be used depending the content ahead. But, Fang is surely better for damage output, and Freya is better supportive wise.

Conclusion:
    With her buff on GL, she's quite decent to use in content now if you're lacking any real powerhouses in your team. She's solid overall, and has the right moves to do what she needs to do. She isn't busted for a 5* max unit, but she does work truly. I would pick her up to use in some battles.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  2. therayofhope

therayofhope Member

still sounds pretty useless a unit...

3. kurizu

kurizu Cuddle Cuddle <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Noctis | JP Balthier
    113|80
    As far as I remember jumps are perma banned on arena.

4. Sylenti

Sylenti Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Bartz/Exdeath
    Great review Jet!

5. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Jump doesn't work in arena.

You could also talk about her Exclusive Weapon, which is the strongest non-TM spear in the game so far and gives her another ability. https://exviuswiki.com/Calamity_Spear

6. Biscut

Biscut Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Refia
    still want lol

7. bufus

bufus Active Member Supporter

Compared to Chizuru, how would this rate? (I need physical damage output, and no luneth or lightning)

Bill.lidjaja likes this.
  8. Epicsheep

Epicsheep Member Supporter

Global ID:
    thanks for the information. your unit reviews are well put together and helpful. keep up the good work.

9. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Fixed, mb.

Didn't know they was banned from Arena.

10. Raykaf

Raykaf Member Supporter

Pulled her, but she's pretty comparing with the 6star meta

11. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Kosi mazaki VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru waifu
    I have three Kains and three Fangs - who should I build, then? I am leaning towards Fangs, but only one good weapon (event one; Kains could give their TMRs to Fangs later). I lack physical DPSers, I only have CoD, WoL and two Faris.

12. Sylenti

Sylenti Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Bartz/Exdeath
    I would say Fang because of her higher passives and flexible abilities. You won't be using jump a lot but if you compare jump dmg then Kain is stronger.

13. Arakai

Arakai New Member

I was not too happy when I pulled her, and then pulled enough to max her trust reward (hoping for Lightning). However, she is a force to be reckoned with. She hits nearly as hard as my Elza who is maxed and about 120 more atk. One thing not mentioned was her counter strike which is really nice esp. with all the dmg she is able to deal out. Overall, I'm really glad I have her on the team.

Jet, I want to thank you for your reviews they are very helpful and insightful!

14. Madamel

Madamel Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raine: CoD
    So... after the current event is finished, what should I do with all the extra Fangs? Fused them together?

15. Tetsuro

Tetsuro Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Noctis
    It's like Vanille's secret dream come to life

TokkiSan and Madamel like this.
  16. Nodscene

Nodscene Member

I ended up pulling a couple fangs and of course used her.during the event. I was lucky and have 3 bonus chars on my team so gears aren't an issue. I just bought her calamity spear and I think she is going to be a real sleeper unit. Meaning she might be able to deal as much damage as guys like Agrias or Firion. At least that's my hope haha. Of course the added skill with the spear is excellent not to mention the high attack. without it I don't think she'd be quite as impressive unless you had tm items but I kinda have high hopes for this 5* unit. Could be really interesting if she ever gets 6*

17. Madamel

Madamel Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raine: CoD
    Maybe I will try to get the Calamity Spear for her too after buying all much needed materials. I think this event is a blessing for my unit because I can get enough materials to awaken 4 5* characters to 6*. After painstakingly leveling up from 3* to 4* to 5* max lvl, I was wondering when can I get them to 6*. I can only get a Lad Mirazh for Grand Gaia. I may need a damage dealer and may have found her in Fang (who knows... will lvl her up after this event). After accidentally fusing Kain to Rain, I thought I may never get another dragoon haha...

18. Zissoulander

Zissoulander VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun Fire Chicken
    Kain is all about jump damage. That's it. He does it well, though. It's still a shame that his dragon killer passives don't work on jump. Or else I'd use him for more trials an bosses (like the current 2 headed dragon). I still might use him for auto attacking with the double spear anyway.

Fang with her unique weapon is better than Kain if you want to do anything aside from jumping.

19. Nodscene

Nodscene Member

At this point I even bought the gun for Zazh haha. Not sure I'll use him outside of the event but even just doing pro with 3 bonus units plus whichever bonus unit I bring I'm getting around 500 gears a runs doesn't take long to collect a lot of them. Maybe I shold have saved for the 70k moogle but I got the 30k one and that's good enough.

I have a feeling Fang is going to be a better unit overall but I think they both get a full break so that's always a good thing. I know the reviews aren't great for either unit but sometimes team synergy changes their usefulness for the better quite significantly.

20. Chemist

Chemist Member Supporter

she looks cool but i dont like the way she moves, she's moves like a hunchback.

2ugLee likes this.