1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Faris [Final Fantasy 5]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    She's young, courageous, and even a bit reckless! That's right we're talking about Faris and how well she compares in the global meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And lastly enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Syldra's Protection (Materia): Boost Physical Damage to Aquan, and Dragon type enemies (+50%)
    Limit Break: 250% AoE 1 Hit Wind Physical Attack & 40% Paralyze -> 345% AoE 1 Hit Wind Physical Attack & 59% Paralyze

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 510 / 1545 (180) 23 / 69 (30) 20 / 62 (12) 17 / 53 (12) 20 / 61 (12) 17 / 51 (12) 6 1
    4* 663 / 2009 (240) 30 / 90 (40) 26 / 80 (16) 23 / 69 (16) 26 / 79 (16) 22 / 66 (16) 8 1
    5* 862 / 2612 (300) 39 / 117 (50) 34 / 104 (20) 30 / 90 (20) 34 / 103 (20) 28 / 86 (20) 10 1

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Fire 120% ST Fire Attack 3 1 [***]
    No Fear SELF +20% DEF/SPR for 3 turns 15 12 [***]
    Provoke 3 Turn +70% chance to be targeted 8 16 [***]
    Summon MAG +10% Boost Summon Damage by +10% - 29 [***]
    Fira 140% AoE Fire Magic Attack 9 40 [***]
    ATK +20% Boost users ATK stat by 20% - 27 [****]
    Bladeblitz 140% AoE Physical Attack 14 43 [****]
    Summon MAG +20% Boost Summon Damage by +20% - 51 [****]
    Firaga 180% AoE Magic Fire Attack 20 60 [****]
    MAG +20% Boosts users MAG stat by 20% - 32 [*****]
    Focus AoE +40% MAG/SPR for three turns 48 72 [*****]
    Full Break 160% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -30% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Debuff 14 80 [******]
    Pros:
    Full Break: We have yet another Full breaker unit, and well it's not really a complaint but more so appreciated cause it gives people more options to work with in different scenarios. For Faris, the reason is still the same. She plays like some sort of supportive tank by her movepool, and weaponpool so having 1 more of her type of unit wouldn't be a bad thing. Also, Full Break is still usable just not as strong as it was before with enemies having resistances to breaks as a whole, but it's good for FB cause you can scout in one attack what the enemy is weak to instead of spending multiple on single, or two stat down breaks.

Cons:
    Almost Useless MAG spells: She gets the fire line of spells, and with a reasonable 104 in MAG wouldn't make it bad enough to use in content, the problem is that she doesn't have any rods, she only has a passive to rely on for the damage so that helps in a way. But, doesn't really give her too much of a selling point to use really. I would just stick to her FB + Bladeblitz skills. Focus would also help her in doing damage. But, again her lack of rods wouldn't give her a better set of damage.

Provoke: Normally, this would be good for some units cause it allows your team some protection. But, Faris has one problem, she doesn't have any passives to protect herself or keep her self sustainable in battle all of her passives are offensively based. Doing provoke, would actually hurt her survival chances. She may have access to shields, helms, and light armor. But, those alone will not save her unless she had a passive in either HP, or DEF to back her up.

PvP Arena:
    Faris doesn't really have any real selling points beside the ability to have Full Break, and potentially chunk down damage on units with Bladeblitz, or even Firaga to exploit a Shiva weakness on the potential mage/healer. But, she doesn't have any real amazing points of usage her she's more so meh here if anything.

Trust Mastery Award:

This TM just takes two of the free TMs we could get from FP summons and puts it into one materia. So, I guess this would be a slightly worth it TM to farm in terms of wanting to save space in your materia slots if you actually needed both Aquan, and Dragon TMs on your units, or you wanna make your unit a designated slayer abuser so this TM is okay, but not a super must get TM.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Agrias
    • Faris has more offensive passives, while Agrias has more defensive passives.
    • Agrias has higher base stats than Faris before passives.
    • Faris has more supportive options in Focus, and Provoke.
    Overall Verdict: In terms of usage, I would give this one to Agrias really. I say this cause of the main reason of why they would be used in the first place is Full Break really. Agrias thanks to her more defensive role can handle the job better I feel. The main purpose is to be able to debuff, and be able to tank damage for the incoming rounds. It also helps that Agrias has more better equipment options for a supporter/tank role honestly. If you're really wanting to push the damage though, you can use Faris cause of her ATK +20% passive.

[​IMG] - Ingus
    • Ingus can support the team with heals, and Esuna.
    • Ingus lacks any real damaging -ga spells, while Faris does have Firaga.
    • Both share common passives, with Ingus having a HP +20% as extra.
    Overall Verdict: I would give this one to Faris in terms of support, and damage. While yes, Ingus can support your allies with a backup heal, and can actually equip staffs to have a efficent heal + esuna support. Backup healing isn't super recommended unless your team struggles with it's own DPS, Faris on the other hand, has the better damage output cause of her having something to do after Full Breaking and that's chunking down damage on enemies with Bladeblitz. Since Ingus, doesn't have any real damaging moves besides his rather low -ra spells he won't be doing to much on the battle.

[​IMG] - Vaan
    • Vaan has more passives than Faris having the HP +20% extra.
    • Faris has other options of damage, while Vaan doesn't have any damaging moves.
    • Both share Focus, and Full Break.
    Overall Verdict: Faris is better here cause of the fact that well.. Vaan tends to be useless after he uses Full Break. If there's not alot of enemies on the field, he'd just remain dormant trying to waste time using Armor Break which is canceled cause of Full Break having the stronger debuff. Faris on the other hand, at least after debuffing she can use Bladeblitz to again chunk down damage on a enemy and then proceed to follow up with another FB if necessary.

Conclusion:
    Faris isn't actually a bad pickup as a unit. She's honestly imo the second best full breaker in the game. And that's always good, she also has some slight merits to be a useful attacker. She isn't glorified as great or anything, but she has her niches. So, why not give her a go? She's not useless, but more so niche if anything.

2. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

Faris seems like one of those random units that you will get in bulks. something you will combine raw ... I cant see anyone actually tmr grinding her..

3. Messy

Messy New Member

Global ID:
    What about Warrior of Light? He's also a Full Break unit that can tank if you don't have Cecil yet.
    Actually same thing with Faris, she can be the Focus unit if you don't have Cecil or BC Lid. Having both on a FB unit like her and Vaan is definitely a plus and worth replacing Ingus or Agrias in that case.

4. mageofthesands

mageofthesands Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Death, Event Gimmicks
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ingus can equip green magic while Faris cannot. Sometimes you need some ba-ra level spells.

Shinigami likes this.
  5. Cyrus85

Cyrus85 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes he can equip bar-ra spells. Can be handy sometimes..

6. Caiustheconcurer

Caiustheconcurer Member

Not when you have carbuncle

7. Elder.B

Elder.B Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth and Noctis or Event unit
    Actually... that is what I did with the 3 faris I'd got. Fuse 2 of them to the third one x'D

8. Willz89

Willz89 Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning 6 Max
    how do you get the sprites for your sig?

9. Elder.B

Elder.B Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth and Noctis or Event unit
    Easy, you go to the wiki
    https://exviuswiki.com/
    1-find the unit you want to take the sprite from
    2-right-click on the sprite
    3-on the panel it will appear select: "copy image url/direction" (mine isn't in English, so it might be different what it says xD)
    4-then paste that on the textbox it will appear when you click on the image button.
    5-Click "Insert"
    and that's it.
    Hope it was of help ::kupo::

DarkElfLusipher and Willz89 like this.
  10. Willz89

Willz89 Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning 6 Max
    Thank you

11. galih

galih Active Member

i have seen carbuncle had reflect magic when we evoke him. but the problem is, if you want to evoke an esper you need an extra effort to fulfill the evocation gauge. which means you need an extra unit in party who had passive skill EVO MAG +~%. and i dont see if it is worth bringing rydia or equip those kinds of materia. i think some bar-ra spell could do any good in battlefield.

12. bufus

bufus Active Member Supporter

I'm very tempted to use Faris instead of Ingus, just because of the added damage... Cecil's curaja is still enough, making ingus a bit useless

13. Madamel

Madamel Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raine: CoD
    Thank you for the overview. I currently do not have a full break unit and I need it to beat trial bosses i.e. Intangir. I only have Faris and Ingus for full break ability. From the overview given, I think I will lvl up Faris instead of Ingus as she can help with Focus for more magic damage.