1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Gaffgarion [Final Fantasy Tactics]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    You want to review me? That'll be a small fee! That's right we're talking about Gaffgarion and how well he does in the current GL meta! As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And lastly, I hope you enjoy the review!

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Magic Levels at 5*: Black Magic Level 5
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Bracer [Accessory]: HP +15%, ATK +30
    Limit Break: ST 240% Attack w/ 100% HP Drain -> ST 335% Attack w/ 100% HP Drain

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 680 / 2062 (210) 28 / 85 (35) 28 / 86 (18) 26 / 78 (14) 22 / 66 (14) 22 / 67 (14) 4 2
    5* 885 / 2681 (240) 37 / 111 (40) 37 / 113 (24) 34 / 102 (16) 29 / 87 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 5 2

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Bladeblitz 140% AoE Physical Attack 14 6 [****]
    Counter 30% Chance to Counter Physical Attacks 0 18 [****]
    Gravity 50% ST HP Damage 12 21 [****]
    Duskblade 140% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 30% Attack w 30% MP Drain 7 36 [****]
    ATK +20% Boosts ATK stat by 20% 0 52 [****]
    Darkside Lose 30% HP + 150% AoE Dark Physical Attack 0 60 [****]
    Graviga AoE 75% HP Damage 20 24 [*****]
    Crushing Blow 160% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & 50% Paralyze 7 45 [*****]
    HP +20% Boosts HP stat by 20% 0 68 [*****]
    Unholy Sacrifice Lose 40% HP +250% AoE Dark Physical Attack 0 80 [*****]
    Medicate Exclusive Self Heal Poison, Blind, and Silence 6 0 [****]
    Pros: Gaffgarion has some pretty good stats for what he is trying to do and that's be a physical attacker. He's right up there with Chizuru which is good for him. Unfortunately, this is all that he's got. He's got a really huge problem which I will discuss in a later part of this post. But, besides solid stats overall. That's about all he's got going for him in his movepool.

Cons: Gaffgarion suffers the Dark Knight problem, which is he loses a % of HP if he were to use the skills effected by it. He does have alternatives like Duskblade, and Bladeblitz, But, for his maximum damage potential as a unit he would have to either use Unholy Sacrifice or Darkside which both make him lose HP in content now, HP is relatively important to have you could argue that have a healer that could heal alot is fine. But, most healers (Garnet & Lenna for example) aren't healing for 2K unless TMs are involved. Because of this Gaffgarion becomes a dangerous unit to use as he could be focused to death even after being healed from his attack by a healer to death. He generically reduces his survival rate when he loses these moves. In the very least, his LB does heal 100% of the damage taken from the enemy which he can self serve himself in that regard. But, it's not spammable so yeah.

Trust Mastery Award: Bracer is great for offensive units, as it's the current highest boost that can be recieved from TM items that are accessories which is always nice and even gives them a nice HP +15% to help them live longer. This is even a welcomed addiction to offensive tanks like Leo, and WoL if you built him that way. So, I would grind for this TM if you have the time.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Garland
    • Garland has a higher ATK due to his innate ability of Doublehand.
    • Gaffgarion has more useful moves while Garland only has Darkside
    • Gaffgarion has passives to ATK/HP, while Garland only has his boost from Doublehand.
    Overall Verdict: Gaffgarion would actually be better than Garland if offensive options were what you was looking for cause of him having Bladeblitz, and Duskblade. Garlands only main offensive move is Darkside which he HAS to use it if you want maximum damage potential for your units which sucks really. Garland easily would have more attack than Gaffgarion due to him having Doublehand. But, with next to no offensive pressure then the boost is not well as appreciated on him.
    Conclusion: Gaffgarion is a overall meh pull, not to be excited when you pull him in gacha. I would just use him for TM and nothing else really.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Da-mav, Asf, Reizen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lucied

Lucied Member

Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Correction: Garland is the only other unit that has a skill that makes him lose hp to deal dark damage. It's called Darkside (formerly called Darkness).

Jet Stingren likes this.
  3. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Thanks, I totally forgot about Garland. Added him in the review!

4. Reizen

Reizen Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Lightning
    Duane have Darkside too, but I don't know if it's worth to compare :D

5. Lucied

Lucied Member

Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    What makes Gaff unique is that he gets an even stronger version of Darkside (however at a higher health cost, ouch!). I think he has potential, but his weapon selection is limited. The best I can do until I farm gungnir is snag a holy lance. I had stopped playing for a while and never got enhancer, and I don't have Delita for moon blade.

6. Childish0ne

Childish0ne Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza
    Yeah Duane would be a great compare, but his break abilities would put him over Gaffgarion, but Garland's doublehand is a beast

7. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    @Childish0ne , @Reizen: To be honest, I see Duane more so as a support character than DPS as Gaffgarion is a DPS attacker. Duane is more supportive cause his best assets include breaking, he does share the darkside move with him yes. But, in all they're different in terms of usage so I couldn't really make to many comparisons. But, if I had a choice Duane would still be better cause he has team support in breaking moves which is always helpful to taking down bosses, or hard event content.

Childish0ne and Reizen like this.
  8. Reizen

Reizen Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Lightning
    Yeah, looking that way...::up::

Childish0ne likes this.
  9. Razias

Razias Member

Plus Gaffgarian has ability slot where as Garland does not.

10. Wreckd

Wreckd Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Knight Cecil

Not yet.

11. Razias

Razias Member

Yes he does. I have him equipped with 4 right now.

12. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He means Garland, him at 5* doesn't have any ability materia. But, in the purpose of this review ability slots are not factored in my decision as they easily can make any unit better and cover up any real weaknesses.