1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Gilbert [Final Fantasy: BE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    As announced on the news, on 6/10 Gilbert will be released to Global servers alongside with Celes, I'm gonna do my best to review over skills, abilities, and generally everything you need to know about Gilbert. Feel free to see my review of Celes here: Celes Unit Review [CLICK]

[​IMG]
    *There's no offical artwork for the guy since he's a Brave Exvius character. This is his ingame sprite.

RarityHPMPATK DEFMAGSPRDCHits
    3*434 / 1315 (180)19 / 57 (30)17 / 52 (12)16 / 47 (12) 19 / 59 (12) 19 / 57 (12)32
    4*564 / 1709 (240) 24 / 74 (40)22 / 68 (16)20 / 62 (16) 25 / 77 (16) 25 / 75 (16) 42
    5*733 / 2222 (300)32 / 96 (50)29 / 88 (20)26 / 80 (20)33 / 100 (20) 32 / 97 (20)52

Magic Levels At 5*: 0
    Resistances: None | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Master Award: Dream Harp (Equip) +76 ATK, 41 MAG, 40% Sleep Chance
    Limit Break: AoE +30% ATK / MAG for three turns > AoE +49% for three turns.

Abilities Learned From Each Level:
    3*: Lullaby, Song of Temptation, Silence Song, Recovery Song
    4* Blade Bash, HP Scroll, Requiem
    5*: Boost, Slash, Chant

Pros: Gilbert here is a really good debuffer, and buffer in his own unique way. Most of his skills will be useful for tackling any kind of content this game has to offer as of right now. The only concern I have is if his skills are AoE, or ST when I checked sources for this unit like Reddit it wasn't a listing to say if he was AoE, or ST so can someone confirm? As for debuffing, he has the complete package he has the ability to sleep, paralyze, confuse, and silence foes with his attacks that's just nice to be had and makes him a prime position to picked against bosses where you can exploit his status weaknesses in the fight. He also has a good amount of buffs as well even his LB gives a AoE buff to the party for three turns. Overall, he has alot of potential for being a great support unit.

Cons: Gilbert has a odd stat placement, if you look he has a higher MAG stat, than he does with ATK which is weird cause well.. Gilbert's only two moves to deal any damage are ATK based moves, combined with the fact he has the unfortunate level 0 for all kinds of magic. I have to wonder why they couldn't flip it around? It seems odd to me though. Another con for Gilbert as he doesn't get any extra stat boost from leveling up, the only thing he gets is HP Scroll which only works in exploration maps and isn't needed alot atm. It's helpful there, but.. nowhere else. He also has a lack of damaging skills he only has Blade Bash, and Requiem which only puts him in that role to be a supporter more than a attacker. His TMA, and buffs would put him in that position to be so unfortunately enough, he just lacks the skills to use that power. Another huge con is inability to move while using Chant. It's a good buff, however he becomes a sitting duck for the next three turns cause he's in mid-song which kinda ruins him alot when you want him to be a consistent debuffer. It's kinda sad how 1/2 only AoE buffs he has he becomes extra vulnerable.

Trust Master Award: His TMA like Celes is a equip as well, known as the Dream Harp. It's a really good harp and I would say invest in it. It even has sleep chance so hypothetically speaking using Blade Bash would allow you to hit for two statuses at once instead of the 1. I'm still confused why is there a MAG boost for his TMA? It could be good for other units in the future who use more MAG and need a useful harp, but if it's special for him then why the MAG boost?

Compared to Other Units: There isn't much to be compared with Gilbert at the time of this post, the only unit who can do as many debuffs as him is Rahkhasa who does it slightly better with having a 40% proc of aliments, while Gilbert who has 30% on his. However, Rahkhasa has no buffs to share to the squad she just has elemental blades of every kind. As for buffers like him, it's a 50/50 for him. Since he has the ability to do debuffs he has the extra niche over most buffers in the game. However, if you wanted stronger buffs he isn't the best to use there as his are ATK/MAG only as some other buffer offer this and DEF/SPR support as well. So, he's a 50/50 he's good for what he can do. But, certainly not the best at what he can do.

Conclusion: I wouldn't try to summon for him, the after effects of Chant alone really hurts him. In current GL meta, 1 AoE buffer would be greatly usable in most harder content (WD fight, Colosseum) but not when you become a sitting duck after a while, you can still use him as a good debuffer cause he has the merits for it. The only way he can buff now and not suffer is by his LB alone and that's something you may not be able to get back in three turns, or can use immediately. & Having 2 support units may not be the most ideal if you wanna take down bosses quicker so if you insist on using him I would strictly use him as a debuffer, and have the other supporter as a buffer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Rinny likes this.
  2. DanT

DanT That deaf, dumb and blind kid... VIP Supporter

Good write up, Jet. Keep up on doing these because they'll definitely help a lot of people.

BTW, there's a lot of blank space insite your spoiler tag before the table actually appears.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  3. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    I'm actually unsure as to what causes this really? I think it's the table itself. I'm about 5 seconds to putting back to how it was before with just using | to seperate the stats.

4. WizardDresden

WizardDresden New Member

Defiantly going to pass on him... But give me an ex death rate up or drop majin Fina!

5. DanT

DanT That deaf, dumb and blind kid... VIP Supporter

I'll take a look at the source code for you and see if I can figure the problem.

6. Phijkchu_Magikarp

Phijkchu_Magikarp Active Member

Wait a minute.... Isn't gilbert edward's japenese name? Or something that starts with a g at least.

7. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    In JP, his name was stated to be Jiruberu.

8. Phijkchu_Magikarp

Phijkchu_Magikarp Active Member

Yeah but like the name is a reference to edward's jp name, Gilbert.

9. Hope

Hope Active Member Supporter

He is adorable its too bad he sucks.. Ugh.