1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Ingus [Final Fantasy 3]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Born as the Light of Determination, and the more calm of the Warriors of Light in FF3. That's right, we're talking about Ingus and how well he compares in the Global Meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And enjoy the review.

[​IMG]

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Letters and Arms: +50% MAG when holding a sword.
    Limit Break: 250% AoE 6 Hit Fire Magic Attack & AoE 3 Turn +40% SPR Debuff -> 345% AoE 6 Hit Fire Magic Attack & AoE 3 Turn +59% SPR Debuff

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 473 / 1432 (180) 25 / 76 (30) 20 / 60 (12) 17 / 53 (12) 17 / 53 (12) 17 / 52 (12) 2 3
    4* 614 / 1862 (240) 33 / 100 (40) 26 / 78 (16) 23 / 69 (16) 23 / 69 (16) 22 / 68 (16) 3 3
    5* 799 / 2421 (300) 43 / 130 (50) 34 / 102 (20) 30 / 90 (20) 30 / 90 (20) 29 / 89 (20) 4 3

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Cure Heal ~150 HP + 3x Mod to one ally 3 1 [***]
    Aero 120% ST Wind Attack 3 1 [***]
    Sleep 40% chance to put a enemy to Sleep 3 6 [***]
    Fire 120% Fire Magic Attack 3 8 [***]
    Blind 40% chance to Blind a enemy 3 12 [***]
    Cura AoE ~400HP Heal + 3x Mod 7 13 [****]
    Silence 40% chance to Silence a enemy 5 18 [***]
    Aerora 140% AoE Magic Wind Attack 9 33 [****]
    Fira 140% AoE Magic Fire Attack 9 35 [****]
    Esuna ST Cure Poison, Paralyze, Blind, Sleep, Silence, and Confuse 8 51 [*****]
    Curaga ST ~800 HP Heal + 3.4x Mod 9 60 [*****]
    HP +20% Raises the users HP stat by 20% - 24 [*****]
    ATK +20% Raises the users ATK stat by 20% - 41 [*****]
    MAG +20% Raises the users MAG stat by 20% - 49 [****]
    Convert Self 9999 MP recovery, drops HP to 1 10 72 [*****]
    Full Break 160% ST Physical Attack + 30% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR debuff for three turns. 14 80 [*****]

Pros:
    Full Break: It's quite unique to see this coming from a red mage really. As usually, they are more bombarded with a mix of random elements, and some W/G magic but with Ingus having Full Break it works for him cause he can play a more support card this way. Since not everything is flat out immune to Full Break in this game there is some resistances in the game currently, but with FB you can scout who is resistant to what cause it debuffs every stat instead of wasting multiple turns with doing all regular debuffs.

Esuna/Cura: Cura while not as greatly recommended does fill a very small niche it now only works as a good follow up heal for your main healer(s) which may protect a member from dying cause they didn't get healed high enough. Cura may just be able to push a unit enough to full, or high enough to tank the opposing content at hand. The same thing works with his Esuna really, it's sometimes quite painful for a healer to be stuck on one turn cause you must decide to heal status on one or more of your allies, or just go for a flat out heal without that unit being usable for that turn. With Ingus having Esuna he can use his turn to heal status, and your healer can just heal them which works great for team setups.

Cons:
    No -ga Spells: In this state of the meta, spells that end with ra aren't as usable anymore. They have a relevance in saving MP for mobs in exploration but that is not the key thing here when you do the more harder content trials, and events and the like. ra based spells don't deal alot of damage fortunately it's still AoE damage so that is something but the damage isn't noticeable or noteworthy.

Convert: This move is kinda wasted, reason why it was wasted cause you don't need to almost commit suicide to heal your MP.
    Especially how Ingus is setup he doesn't have any high MP skills and would be able to sustain himself in battle without needing to drain himself or be worn out. Of course, it depends on team setups but he otherwise would be fine.

ATK +20%: Normally, getting any kind of passives would be good more stats for your characters. But, Ingus doesn't get anything good with this passive buff at all. I mean you could say that he gets more damage from Full Break, but FB isn't used for damage it's used more so for support cause of it's debuff effect not for damage.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Letters and Arms is actually a niche to very good TM. It really depends on who gets their hands on it. But, at face value +50% to MAG is very good when you hold on to a sword there is some great units that can make full use of this units like Ramza, and Exdeath come to mind. Ramza would be the better option cause he cannot use rods anyway. So, I do recommend this TM to be grinded cause it would help alot of mixed units for sure.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Ludmille
    • Ludmille only has a few breaks, while Ingus has Full Break.
    • Ingus has a better heal in Curaga, while Ludmilles best is Cura.
    • Ludmille has a -ga spell under her belt, while Ignus has none.
    • Ignus has better stats than Ludmille, none of Ludmilles stats reaches 100 (without passives)
    Overall Verdict: Ludmille would surely lose when put next to Ignus. To be frank with you, Ignus is kinda a upgraded version of Ludmille really. Their movesets are similar just for different elements like Ludmille having Stone based spells, and Ignus having Wind based spells. Ignus also sets up quicker than her cause of his Full Break which gets everything (if able to be fully debuffed) done in one turn. While Ludmille would have to take 2 turns.

Conclusion:
    Ignus isn't a bad unit to pickup and raise. I'd be pretty appreciative if this was your first Full Breaking unit. Due to that he can be usable in some situations, but he isn't a unit that will be a star of your team or anything of that regard. He would just be a usable slot for some upcoming content, but then he would quickly fall off.

Shinigami, yuilite, K.Abuse and 6 others like this.
  2. Gronio

Gronio Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Thanks a lot for this review.
    I would add that not many mages have aero attacks, this may be niche but very useful in some cases.
    Regarding the lack of -ga spells, you're right, but -ra can still provide a good contribution to element-chaining, so not totally useless. The strange thing to me lies in its stats and predominance of ATK (which makes its TM useful).
    Btw, it's TM will be a life buoy to bring back Golbez to an acceptable level compared to other mages.

3. Veralian

Veralian Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru 844 ATK
    he's not bad,his TM would be very useful on Exdeath and Celes.

4. CaptCrunchPants

CaptCrunchPants Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Firion JP: Tidus
    I was hoping for more than aerora and fira but happy to see cura and ensuna. He will probably replace WoL in my magic team.

5. Gronio

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Makes sense. And a few materias will widen his magic Spectrum. I wish we had more -GA materias...
    Oh well there are, lets go farm TMs :p

6. Thoraeon

Thoraeon Well-Known Member

Personally, I would compare him to Vaan.

Similar stats, both have Full Break.

7. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Good TM and that pic of him in front of a sun flower, Man! ::joy::

8. Enzoyeh

Enzoyeh Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    King
    Does his TM stack?

9. TheSeth256

TheSeth256 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Darkness
    Yes,his TM is the only "+% stat when equipped with x" that stacks in global so far :)

G-Dub and Enzoyeh like this.
  10. seuman

seuman Well-Known Member

That's a chocobo tail ;)

Do Tu Nguyen and TheSeth256 like this.
  11. skoshi chingoo

skoshi chingoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun
    My first FB unit here I come!

12. Swordsman

Swordsman Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    oh no i fuse 4 of him to 1..

13. CaptCrunchPants

CaptCrunchPants Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Firion JP: Tidus
    I think you are fine. I fused mine also. Most spell casters will benefit from rods more than swords.

14. linXzta

linXzta Well-Known Member

Just pulled him and Vaan which one should I lvl cause I have focus already with cecil?

15. Enzoyeh

Enzoyeh Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    King
    Except for... Terra! She needs both attack and magic!

16. Swordsman

Swordsman Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    exdeath will benefit greatly as I do have him.

17. Jim1211

Jim1211 New Member

Mine too!

18. Sorwen

Sorwen Ascended Member

Ingus is hands down one of the best units....if you have the other 3 from this banner. With the pros above he also has high enough green magic he can use all the Bar-Element-ra spells. You can pack everything you need into 4 units. Of course if you can steamroll encounters that doesn't matter, but since I can't field physical or magic with high enough stats to manage that(and I know a lot of others that can't either) he would almost be a must need. I got a 6 star Cecil and a 5 star WoL so I can do without, but I wouldn't say no if I got him. That could free up my 5th slot and friend for anything I wanted rather than having to field two units to fill those needs.

Edit: That isn't to imply that is the only reason to use Cecil and/or WoL, but then I could rely more for the tanking/damage or not use them at all depending on the situation.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  19. Aryx

Aryx Active Member

Global ID:
    So just to clarify, i could give exdeath 4 of ingus' tm and equipt a sword and have a 200% boost from his base mag. Or 3 TMs of ingus' and dual weild swords for a total of 300% increase?

20. Gronio

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Not a clue, but that sounds insane! o_O