1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Jack [Final Fantasy: Type-0]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He, like Trey is also training to be a Agito. That's right we're talking about Jack and how well he compares in the Global meta. As usual, leave your comments, and questions below. And as usual, enjoy the review. :]

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Ignorance (Materia): +2 LB Fill Every Turn.
    Limit Break: Lose 20% HP + 250% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack -> Lose 20% HP + 345% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 450 / 1365 (150) 21 / 64 (25) 23 / 69 (14) 16 / 49 (10) 17 / 50 (10) 17 / 53 (10) 3 2
    4* 586 / 1775 (210) 28 / 84 (35) 30 / 90 (18) 21 / 64 (14) 22 / 66 (14) 23 / 70 (14) 4 2
    5* 762 / 2308 (240) 36 / 110 (40) 39 / 118 (24) 28 / 84 (16) 28 / 86 (16) 30 / 92 (16) 5 2

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Iai Strike Instant KO (30%) to all enemies 12 4 [***]
    Requital 30% Chance Counter Physical Attacks - 40 [***]
    Bladeblitz 140% AoE Physical Attack 14 21 [****]
    HP +10% Boost users HP stat by 10% - 32 [****]
    ATK +20% Boost users ATK stat by 20% - 48 [****]
    Lightning Flash 4x 80% RT Physical Attack 16 59 [****]
    Katana Master +20% ATK when equipped with Katana - 65 [*****]
    Cheer AoE 3 Turn +40% ATK/DEF 48 71 [*****]
    Piercing Gleam 140% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -40% DEF Debuff 11 80 [*****]
    Pros:
    Good ATK Passives: Jack has a total of ATK +40% which is pretty good considering he's only a 5* unit. There's only been a few units who has gotten boosts this high such as Kain. But, it's nice to see more variants of this passive being given to units. Combined with already high natural ATK base he could deal some useful damage to opponents.

Cons:
    Iai Strike: In the beginning meta, this would've been a good move to have cause it's a chance to instantly kill anybody. However, with the content we get now pretty much everybody and their mobs are resisted to death. Making this move useless really fast. It does still have chances to work in PvP Arena but it's overall too gimmicky to rely on.

No Impressive Moves: In the meta we're in now, we like to see things that have high modifiers unconditionally, or stuff with -DEF ignore, or has some other niche effect added to them. Jack has none of this all of his moves feel generic, and flat. He wouldn't be able to
    utilize that good ATK power he has with his current movepool. His Barrage (Lighting Flash) has long past it's prime and that's all he really has but again his modifier is conditional. He can only achieve as such when there is on enemy on the field. So, he's pretty bland offensively.

PvP Arena:
    Honestly, Jack has no real use here either. As I said before, you can run some kind of gimmick around his Iai Strike and see how many kills you can get. But, it won't be something that's spammable cause he's a 5* max unit and he'll die faster than your 6*. But, other than that gimmick. He doesn't do anything of note in PvP Arena.

Trust Mastery Award:
    It's bad, don't farm it. It's basically a better version of CoD's Trust Mastery Auto-Limit. Which it beats by a astounding +1 extra LB fill. No, just skip farming this TM at all costs.

Comparing to Other Units:

Honestly, Jack doesn't compare to anyone in the current Global roster right now. There were some close units but nothing that is close to him. The best ones I could compare him to were Cyan, and Chizuru. But, it's unfair to compare them cause they are both in different max rarities than he is. Chizuru is max 6*, and Cyan is max 4*. So, this section will be skipped.

Conclusion:
    Jack is not a good unit at all, quite honestly. He's the worst one in the batch. He doesn't have any redeeming quantities besides of his high ATK passives, and base. But, otherwise he doesn't do anything of significance in battle even his own TM isn't worth getting. So, I wouldn't use Jack, or be excited to pull him. If possible, just skip this unit all together.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Enzoyeh, Syuri, architect and 2 others like this.
  2. Jose

Jose Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
    Sprite looks cool, he looks cool. Too bad he sux. :(

architect likes this.
  3. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Ling, Seven, Tilith, Light, Rikku, etc
    Nice, honest review. I can't see myself pulling for these units in their current form. Admittedly I would love to see Rem in Global if but for the chance to have another healer/support but this banner, eh.

It could have been much better. But Jack seems like a basic, run of the mill unit with nothing special. Probably should have been released ages ago. But wouldn't have been much better.

4. ChilliAnna

ChilliAnna Member

Aww he was my fave in type 0.

Sapphire likes this.
  5. Gronio

Gronio Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth, Agrias, Tellah
    Thanks Jet for doing the review even when the unit has nothing attractive...

Sapphire and architect like this.
  6. architect

architect Well-Known Member Supporter

But he's already there hiding behind every BlueCrystal on 1/12 :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    He'll be useful at least for the next two weeks ::=3::::=3::::=3::::=3::

7. Syuri

Syuri Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    #poorjack.. he looks cool tho.. ^_^

8. Holic

Holic Well-Known Member

Would he's tm be good for rukkki? If so how good?

9. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Kosi mazaki VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru waifu
    Two times better than CoD's one :P

Khidir likes this.
  10. Sasza

Sasza Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ExDeath MAG 469
    He looks like he's a bit intoxicated, not to say drunk...

11. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Kosi mazaki VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Chizuru waifu
    Cool cause drunk :) But those 70' white pants... why?!

12. TokkiSan

TokkiSan Member

Well, he must be hiding really really well, cuz after seven pulls today [6 tickets and one 50% daily], I haven't gotten a single Type-0 unit... 3 Kujas... 3 freaking Kujas...
    I too wanted Jack because his sprite looked cool, but not anymore...

architect likes this.
  13. TigerNightmare

TigerNightmare New Member

Hey, guys. Maybe he's not the best out of the box, but my overpowered helper friend switched from Gilgamesh to him with Dual Wield and some endgame equipment (Excalibur and Murasame, I think they were). With that, Lightning Flash hits 8 times for something like 128,000 total damage when using him to do Akademia PRO. Makes it much easier for me to farm purplies.

14. Fatal Foxtrot

Fatal Foxtrot New Member

To be fair, Jack doesn't really seem like he wants to be on your team either... so maybe he sucks on purpose.

Khidir likes this.
  15. project 86

project 86 Active Member

do my first daily pull in several days and this guy pops out lol atleast i can use him for more phantoma lol

16. rindra

rindra New Member

Jack is quite good for a 5* unit..

With 2 deliverance he will have 80% atk + 40% def passive, which is much better than 5* Chizu..

You can use him in story mode for fun, but for harder boss or trial he cant survive long due to low hp..

17. architect

architect Well-Known Member Supporter

So, 2 deliverance stacked on Jack?

18. Gardener

Gardener Member

Leads:
    Yun and Mercedes
    Firewall Power Up stacks on Trey too. Those passives sure do help...

19. vcrisant13

vcrisant13 Active Member Supporter

I posted about Jack in another thread. He is surprisingly good for a 5* if you get his event materia. So he has:

-Innate atk 20%
    -Katana mastery (atk 20%)

If you get his event materia, that's another +40% in atk, and +40% def and auto regen. That's +80% on his atk.

I used the ffbe calculator and slapped on a Sakurafubuki on him. He gets at maxed pots 483 atk equipped with tiger mask, black belt gi, 2 hero rings, atk + 10% (2x) and deliverance (2x). If you fully trick him out with TMs, he can even break 700. Not bad for a 5* max unit right? Oh and he has cheer.

He is definitely outclassed by 6* units, but he's not that bad, either. I don't have a Chizuru, so his blade blitz helps me chain.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Gardener likes this.
  20. PrezObama

PrezObama Well-Known Member Supporter

Jack is pretty sick for a 5* attacker with his exclusive materia. He can also support with Cheer.

And stop hating on Barrage. It's still one of the best moves against ST bosses unless you are looking to chain finish with it. Luneth's Cut Through is 3.33 modifier while barrage is 3.2.

If you compare him to 6* units then yeah, he sucks. But so does every other 5* unit.

Gardener likes this.