1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Kain [Final Fantasy 4]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    The Dragoon Knight from Baron who stood against Golbez, and even his friend Cecil at one point! That's right we're talking about Kain and how well he compares in the GL meta. As usual, leave all comments, and questions in this thread below. And lastly, enjoy the review. :]

*Note: This review will include the newly released 5* version of Kain.*

[​IMG]

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 535 / 1620 (240) 22 / 66 (40) 23 / 69 (16) 21 / 65 (24) 17 / 52 (16) 17 / 51 (16) 2 3
    4* 690 / 2090 (390) 28 / 85 (65) 29 / 89 (26) 28 / 84 (34) 22 / 67 (26) 21 / 65 (26) 3 3
    5* 897 / 2717 (390) 36 / 110 (65) 37 / 112 (26) 31 / 95 (34) 29 / 87 (26) 28 / 84 (26) 4 3

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] 3*| [​IMG] 4* | [​IMG] 5*
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Magic Levels at 5*: White Magic Level 3
    Trust Mastery Award: Gungnir (Weapon): ATK +90
    Limit Break: 270% ST 11 Hit Physical Attack -> 365% ST 11 Hit Physical Attack

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Jump 1 Turn Jump + 180% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 7 1 [***]
    Lance ST 80% Attack w/ 20% HP Drain & ST 30% Attack w/ 10% MP Drain 10 17 [***]
    HP +10% Boosts users HP by +10% 0 29 [***]
    Store 80% ATK per Use (160% Max) until Next Action (Damage Taken +50%) 2 13 [****]
    Dragon Killer +50% Physical Damage against Dragons 0 37 [****]
    High Jump Increase Jump Damage 100% 0 52 [****]
    ATK +20% Boosts users ATK stat by 20% 0 22 [*****]
    Dragoon Spirit Increase Jump Damage 120% 0 45 [*****]
    Power Surge Self 3 Turn +40% ATK 10 62 [*****]
    Spear Master +20% ATK when equipped with Lance 0 74 [*****]
    Dragon Dive 1 Turn Jump + 210% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 13 80 [*****]

Pros: Kain is actually pretty strong as a super common 5* unit really, the main reason is cause of his good passives and Jump damage boost. As a 5* he gets a 40% ATK boost (20% innate, and 20% from spear), which in 5* meta this is a pretty great boost for someone like him. In all, Kain can be pretty strong for beginner players when they're trying to get their team started.

Cons: Dragon Slayer is slightly wasted on him I know you're probably wondering why but since his best moves are Jump/Dragon Dive they actually do not trigger weakness effect to dragon. So, the only boost of damage would be from a outside materia, or normal attack only. He suffers from the "Dragoon" class problem and that's them only being able to use Jump based attacks the bad thing about this is 1: Damage is inconsistent, you're losing a slight but of DPS when he goes up to jump, and the turn when he comes down when this can be replaced by a unit who can always attack every turn. 2: He can't get full effect from buffs/debuffs let's use a example. Say, you use Cheer from your unit the turn you set him to jump. He would be able to hit the target on the second turn instead of another unit who can use damaging abilities every turn.

Trust Mastery Award: Gungnir is still one of the best spears for a good long time, and good news it's not hard to get with a bit of TM farming, and 5 Kains (trust me, they are super common in gacha) you can get one in a week. So, for a essentially almost free spear it's pretty great, it doesn't add any cool effects like additional slayers, or element add but it's still great, and solid. I recommend you try to get it.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Freya
    • Both specialize in "Jump" based attacks.
    • Freya has supportive options in heals, as Kain is purely damage.
    • Kain has better passives, and a better jump than Freya.
    • Kain has better equip options as opposed to Freya.
    Overall Verdict: Kain would be better than Freya cause he out DPS her without no effort really. Since he for one has a 40% boost to ATK while Freya only has a small ATK+10% passive as well as a lower base ATK than Kain then yeah, you can see where I am going with this. Freya has a little bit of support option with her heals (Rei's Wind/Six Dragons) which is great cause she can play two roles at once and versatility really does help a team in term of success in content imo. But, Kain has her beat in well everything else really.

Conclusion: Kain is great for starter players cause he can built fast, and can do what he can to assist you in content. But, as a unit for well balanced, or any sort of actual team thoughts I wouldn't really use him since he's inconsistent for damage really. He's not a bad unit, more like okay-ish to me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    K.Abuse and Mikazuki like this.
  2. Asf

Asf Dead ace VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    Why cant dragon slayer works on jump atk?

3. ptc

ptc Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lighting
    found this video ...

Kisangre and Alienvan9o like this.
  4. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Jumping with a spear in hand is Godly with Kain.

5. Shahnaz

Shahnaz Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    The new spear coming out next week is perfect for him too.

6. johngaban

johngaban Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cecil/Kefka/exdeath/locke depends
    Should i equip flame lance or shining splendor on kain? Considering lance attack is 48 and shining splendor is 72..how much of the different its make if i use the spear type weapon for kain? I only use him to defeat frost dragon in coloseum adv s4 and believe it or not only he survive that monster..

7. damevi

damevi Guest

From what I read, jump abilities not triggering passives/weaknesses was a confirmed bug that will be addressed. Also unless you have barrage, his turn is not wasted as dragon dive hits like a truck and you won't deal that much damage in 2 turns with any 5* unless you have barrage and even if, its not that far behind.

Kain is super strong right now

Khalil7774 and johngaban like this.
  8. johngaban

johngaban Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cecil/Kefka/exdeath/locke depends
    Oh i see..yeah right kain is still a badass..i still use him in colosseum fight..sadly I don't have any barrage tm to give him

9. ironphia

ironphia Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Exdeath
    I tested...Kain with DW.....but i dont have good spear with cheer....but the dmg man.....the DMG!!!!!!!!!!!::kefka::::kefka::::kefka::::kefka::
    think i should make an video and show it ahahaha

skoshi chingoo and johngaban like this.
  10. skoshi chingoo

skoshi chingoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yun
    Please do, I would love to see it!

11. Jongiks

Jongiks Well-Known Member Supporter

Kain is great. I'm using him in colo adv s3 and after cheer/fullbreak he does 23k of damage in 2 turns. My bartz and artemios with splendor and killer bow does half combined. So they got ditched for now. Lol

12. Do Tu Nguyen

Do Tu Nguyen Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    The damage is real. Just leveled my Dark Knight Cecil up, equipped him fully to be a 379 atk unit. And got out damaged by a 283 atk Kain. Admitedly, my DKC still at lv 83 and only uses Raging Fist, but after a taste of Kain, I dont want to use my 6* DKC anymore.

Alienvan9o likes this.
  13. Khalil7774

Khalil7774 Well-Known Member Supporter

Saludos...
    My Team has 2 Kains maxed at 5* each ( around 300 & 270 ATK ). You only have to manage the turn they miss after their jump attack, and you are ready for a massive damage on the enemy. I do not have Lightning, Chizuru or any of the heavy hitters in ATK, so you have to use what you get; right now it works very fine for me.