1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Karl [Brave Frontier]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He's the chill guy who helped you (the summoner) start your very first journey in the world of Brave Frontier! That's right we're talking about Karl and how well he compares to the Global meta, as usual leave comments, and questions about this unit here. Enjoy the review!

[​IMG]

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 706 / 2140 (210) 28 / 86 (35) 29 / 87 (18) 24 / 72 (14) 23 / 68 (14) 22 / 67 (14) 4 2
    5* 918 / 2782 (240) 37 / 113 (40) 38 / 114 (24) 31 / 94 (16) 29 / 89 (16) 29 / 88 (16) 5 2

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] & [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Magic Levels at 5*: None
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Engraved Destruction (?): +20% ATK/MAG, +10% HP
    Limit Break: 250% AoE Ice Physical Attack + -30% ATK/MAG Debuff for three turns -> 345% AoE Ice Physical Attack + -49% ATK/MAG Debuff for three turns.

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    4*: Disruption Axe (4), DEF +10% (12), Verdant Axe (12), Demon Killer, Summon MAG +20% (48), ATK +20% (52)
    5*: Lightning Axe (26), Beast Killer (42), Flashing Axe Combo (62), Warrior's Command (80)

Pros: Karl isn't one bad attacker I can honestly admit that. He does have a good amount of attacking moves to mess around with to make him more than useable in content to come ahead, and even has a small amount of elemental support in Wind/Thunder from Verdant/Lightning Axe moves, and Ice from his LB which is good cause he can hit some enemies for weakness. Arguably, his best move is Warrior's Command which is a nice 40% boost to ATK/MAG which will go great on nuke based teams that don't need the DEF/SPR as it's just strictly damage. He also has Flashing Axe Combo which is like a baby Barrage as this one has 3 hits, instead of the normal 4 from Barrage. Not as great as Barrage, but still good I'd say.

Cons: Gonna say it til the death of me, Summon MAG not useful at all, I don't think it will ever be deemed as a useful ability. Karl has alot of offensive options in his movepool, but nothing truly stand out for him his move Flashing Axe Combo automatically gets shafted if you have a Barrage type unit of your own like Artemios, Bartz and etc. Other than this, Karl isn't to terribly bad at what he does.

Trust Mastery Award: Great one for offensive units, I feel like this one would be great for mixed attackers units that use both ATK/MAG moves in their movepool it would at least help them use those moves to not be overshadowed by the weapon of choice that they end up going with so this one isn't a bad one to grab.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Artemios
    Artemios is the closest Barrager I could compare between the two without it seeming like it would be a complete lost for Karl. I wanted you to know this before I went over the points between the two.

• Karl has more equipment functionality, elemental support, and innate stat ups as opposed to Artemios who is namely all damage, and a few status moves.
    • Flashing Axe Combo is a weaker variant of Barrage as it's 3 hits = total 240% mod when all three attacks are combined as opposed to 4 hits = 320% mod from Barrage when all of them are all added up.
    • Artemios has more Killer abilities than Karl he has 3, to Karl's 2.

Overall Verdict: I would say Karl is better between the two cause of Warrior's Command being a solid overall buff to teams, and he having more options to play around with than Artemios. The two are pretty close in terms of movepool, but stats Karl would be better too cause he gets some stat buffs, and Artemios doesn't get any.

[​IMG] - Garland
    • Garland has more elemental options than Karl, however he only has them in terms of MAG stat which is second lowest stat overall, while Karl has less and uses his best stat for them.
    • Karl has innate killers, Garland doesn't.
    • Karl also has more offensive pressure than Garland, Garlands only real move bar Darkness would only be Power Break which Karl has in his own way in Disruption Axe + move moves to use in general.
    • Garland has the higher ATK stat due to his innate doublehand.
    Overall Verdict: While Garland has the power for sure due to doublehand. Karl has everything else you would want and then some. Good offensives moves, a useful buff, a somewhat reliable debuff (his LB is a better debuff though). So, yes I would recommend Karl over Garland in most cases.

Conclusion: I would say to get Karl, he's definitely not a bad unit to use at all. I would hugely push for him to be a nuke based team cause of his buff, he also has the ability to at least add some offensive damage to the board which is great for him, so if you could try for Karl. He ain't bad, I'd say.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. Overdose313

Overdose313 New Member

Does his buff skill stack with cheer

3. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    No.

Henry likes this.
  4. hopelessemo

hopelessemo New Member

I don't get him having summon mag. Never considered him a summoner like Rydia or Garnet. Bummed it's a wasted ability on soooo many characters :(

Hope likes this.
  5. Hope

Hope Active Member Supporter

Agreed. He is way cool. Its a shame they butcher all the cool characters and then make selective shitty looking ones strong.

6. Shuy1n

Shuy1n Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elza with 750 attack
    He is useful only for his TMR, IMHO

7. realize123

realize123 Member

Thx for the post, now i know, i wont spend my time and effort for leveling this one