1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Kefka [Final Fantasy 6]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He's a clown with a sinister plan to destroy us all. That's right we are talking about the future released unit Kefka who will be dropping on 7/8. So, as usual sit back and relax yourselves and here we go.

[​IMG]

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 413 / 1251 (150) 29 / 89 (25) 16 / 49 (10) 16 / 47 (10) 23 / 69 (14) 21 / 64 (10) 3 2
    4* 537 / 1627 (210) 38 / 115 (35) 21 / 64 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 29 / 89 (18) 28 / 84 (14) 4 2
    5* 698 / 2115 (240) 50 / 150 (40) 27 / 83 (16) 26 / 79 (16) 38 / 116 (24) 36 / 109 (16) 5 2

Magic Levels at 5*: Black Magic Level 8
    Resistances: None | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Ribbon (Accessory): +5 MAG/SPR +100% aliment immunity.
    Limit Break: 250% AoE Magic Attack & 3 Turn 20% Element Resist > 345% AoE Magic Attack & 3 Turn 20% Element Resist.

Abilities Learned at Each Level
    3*: Blizzara (1), Thundara (1), Drain (36), Escape (6), +20% MAG (26)
    4*: Biora (4), Blizzaga (56), Thundaga (56), Trine (46)
    5*: Bioga (66), Cruel Angel (76), Hyperdrive (80)

Pros: Kafka like some units I will mention later on has a very strong start. While he may get his -ga spells a tad bit later than Exdeath for example he still gets his but Kefka's -ga spells aren't the best part of his movepool. Kefka has a rare move in Cruel Angel which is well a Graviga with a different name haha they do exactly the same thing and cost the same it's just the graphics for it is different LOL. Kefka also has some nice status control for a mage type unit as he's able to spread 3 statuses two with Trine, and Bioga for poisoning effect. His best move Hyperdrive is why he's considered to be a insane mag user. It's the first move for mages in the game to ignore SPR when damage is factored in it also has a very high modifier which turns Kefka into a walking nuke without him needing to well do anything. 230% Mod with -25% SPR ignore is pretty insane especially this early on in the game he's bound to leave dents in anything he touches with this move. Kefka also has some high stats for his class as well he currently has the highest MP cap at 150 which means he can spam spells like nobody's business, and a nice 116 MAG stat. Yeah, Kefka is a pretty strong mage.

Cons: Later on, Kefka loses a small niche in his status control on Trine and it becomes a hindrance more so than a liability since alot of hard content bosses will start to have 100% Immunity on every status he wouldn't be able to spread status. Hyperdrive once you unlock it will pretty much overtake anything he has to do LOL. You won't probably be using Blizzaga/Thundaga unless you choose to hit for weakness damage but 9/10, you're gonna be using Hyperdrive which isn't a bad thing persay. But, at least he has them to use if you so choose to do so. But, other than this small issue Kefka is fine.

Trust Mastery Award: I don't even need to explain why this is EXTREMELY needed to grab. This would be a godsend for your healers, or valuable units you do not want being statused like Cecil for example so he can continue to do his job without no issues. But, Ribbon is one of the best ones even in JP and it's for good reason as nothing gives a full immunity to aliments besides this Ribbon. There's equips for 1 or two status, but a full one is extremely worth to grab so I 100% recommend you grab this one.

Comparing to Other Units
    Exdeath: Currently our best Mage in the game. However, him & Kefka are well neck and neck really to me. As it stands now, Kefka has higher base MAG, MP, SPR than him and he also has Hyperdrive which is a 230% mod, compared to Exdeaths 180% mods on his -ga spells. Kefka also bypasses the Devil Chimera mage issue where he can use Hyperdrive with no problems as Exdeath would be well useless. In terms of buffing, Exdeath is better as he gets a 30% MAG, 20% MP boost as opposed to Kefka who only gets a 20% MAG boost. The upside on Kefka is he can wear robes, and hats which can boost his MAG while Exdeath cannot. Another thing that Exdeath has over Kefka is his magic options when it comes to materia. He can use Black/White/Green magic when Kefka can only use Black this makes him more useful in this sense as you can build alot of useful things with Exdeath. As you can see they both bring alot to the table, but in a basic sense if you want Damage you wanna go with Kefka, if you want Versatility then go with Exdeath.

Golbez: Both are just about the same, But stat wise Kefka is better, I will give Golbez having Binding Cold as a more niche move than Trine cause Paralyze is easily a more lethal status than Blind & Paralyze. But, everything else Kefka is better than stats are higher, doesn't suffer typical mage issues, better stat buffs. Golbez doesn't really stand to much a chance in comparison to Kefka sadly.

Conclusion: I would gladly take Kefka as he's gonna be around for a good long time to be a good DPS mage he has nice stats, a amazing TMR, and Hyperdrive LOL. So, I would want to grab Kefka as he is surely gonna be one of the best mages to come out for now.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    rexksvii, Rinny, auronxsquall and 5 others like this.
  2. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Sakura
    Kefka best 5* clown. \o/

3. leytachi

leytachi Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    963 524 267
    Reading this, I guess I'm at luck getting it today (albeit 3* only) ::innocent::

4. Night

Night Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    Same. Working on him already tho. Stared at 3* and now I'm around lvl20 4* (gotta love them cactaurs )

5. Goguma

Goguma Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Exdeath
    Wow this guide surprised me a little... when you say neck to neck its because exdeath 6* is good but not nearly as strong as his 6* is it...? If thats the case how is exdeath better than him now when kefka can just keep spamming overdrive?

6. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    The comparisons are made in his 5* form.

7. Night

Night Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    sadly this guide missed the best part about Kefka... His maniacal laughter during his limit break!

Best thing in the game so far

MorHawk likes this.
  8. TigerGod

TigerGod Active Member

Oh man reading this guide made me feel better for pulling him because everyone kept saying he was thrash on reddit! Also wanted thank you Jet for making the guides on the characters as well, they are really helpful!

Jet Stingren likes this.
  9. Russglenn

Russglenn New Member

I pulled 4 x 3* Kefka and 1 x 3* Vann.
    Should I use them all as a team?

10. AylwindBlue

AylwindBlue Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Darkness
    Would it be worth getting Meteor from Golbez and giving it to Kefka? Or is hypderdrive flat out better?

11. auronxsquall

auronxsquall Member

how about dupes? got 3 kefka. should I fuse it into 1?

TMR - ribbon is cool... do I need more than 1? thanks

12. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Hyperdrive is free, and costs less.

13. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    If you want to.

14. AylwindBlue

AylwindBlue Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Darkness
    Is Hyperdrive single target only while Meteor is multi?

15. Holic

Holic Well-Known Member

There was a video on YouTube of Japan's tir list and Kefka was no where to be seen. Anyone know what has caused him to fall out of favor? Is it only the fact that he does not have a six star form?

16. auronxsquall

auronxsquall Member

+1. he's so cool in his 5* form, but hard to found when 6* hits.... nooooooooo ::kefka::::cactaur::

17. Goguma

Goguma Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Exdeath
    Yes.

AylwindBlue likes this.
  18. RedComet

RedComet Well-Known Member

I really enjoy my Kefka. And after reading this I am so grateful that I pull 5 Kefka unit and not 1 Kefka 5*
    In my opinion, building up TM Ribbon is more time consuming rather than awakening 4* --> 5* Kefka.

My 5 day grinding for Ribbon result:
    [​IMG]

My question: Should I create more than one Ribbon? Why? Currently my aim is only one Ribbon for my healer.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  19. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Sakura
    Ofc you should go for more than one ribbon. Its so useful in later battles in particular when bosses start spamming with status ailments. And once pvp hits itll be one of the best accesories to have as well, so ppl can't crush your team with status.

Yuffie likes this.
  20. MorHawk

MorHawk New Member

Global ID:
    Just gotta bump this one. Totally seconded, I play without sound almost all the time but will often turn it up just for that.