1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Leo [Final Fantasy 6]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Aug 31, 2016.

  1. Jet Stingren

    Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

    Messages:
    825
    Likes Received:
    1,848
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2016
    Global ID:
    864,334,005
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Rank:
    87
    He's armed and ready for battle! That's right, we're talking about Leo from FF6 and how well he stacks now in the meta. As usual, leave a comments, and opinions below!


    [​IMG]

    In-Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Magic Levels at 5*: None
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Aegis Shield (Equip): +53 DEF, +25 SPR & +100% Petrify Resist
    Limit Break: 250% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack -> 345% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack

    Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 530 / 1607 (210) 20 / 62 (25) 22 / 66 (10) 19 / 59 (10) 16 / 47 (10) 16 / 47 (10) 6 1
    4* 689 / 2088 (270) 27 / 81 (35) 28 / 85 (14) 25 / 77 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 20 / 61 (14) 8 1
    5* 896 / 2715 (300) 35 / 105 (50) 37 / 111 (20) 33 / 100 (20) 26 / 79 (20) 26 / 80 (20) 10 1

    Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Store (4), Power Break (18), Armor Break (35)
    4*: Blade Bash (11), ATK +20% (43), DEF +20% (52)
    5*: Brace (29), Bladeblitz (61), Draw Attacks (74)


    Pros: Leo is a pretty darn sturdy offensive tank I'd say even in now meta can surely prove himself to tank hits since he has a high base HP even without having any boosts to the stat at a nice 2,715 which is pretty darn neat. Leo also has some good break support in both Power/Armor which helps his, and your squads capability in battle. He has all of what you'd need in terms of offense status support from Blade Bash, a decent AoE in Bladeblitz, and a innate boost to ATK. In the defensive field, he checks out as well with having break support, and his best card and what makes him so useful to use his ability of Draw Attacks which automatically makes him be targeted by 50% since he is a tank this is wonderful as this means he does the tanking part without needing a move like Provoke which does stack with his ability which makes him targeted by 80%

    Cons: Even though, having a high base HP is good enough for him. Him being a tank he has the lowest (after stat passives are added) HP in total to all the tanks that currently exist in the game making him feel less desired cause HP is super important when you need to perform a tanky role. Even units that aren't classified as a tank can outperform his role with their higher base HP (After passives) to ensure a better survival rate cause at the end of the day your tank needs to survive at ALL costs. Store while isn't that great of a skill, is even worse on Leo than anyone else cause he draws in attacks innately and can't turn the option off so he wouldn't appreciate the extra damage on him.

    Trust Mastery Award: Aegis Shield is a wonderful shield, and I urge anyone to get it. Tanks in general don't have alot of SPR support options so they in return lack the ability to tank MAG based attacks not to their best ability to having a shield that gives them a decent boost to SPR would greatly be appreciated alongside a massive boost to DEF so yes, pick up this trust mastery item.

    Comparing to Other Units:

    [​IMG] - Amarant
    • Both have the ability to draw attacks in
    • Amarant has a self heal allowing him to handle his job better.
    • Leo has more offensive pressure than Amarant.
    • Amarant has lesser passive boosts than Leo.
    Overall Verdict: You'd be surprised be Amarant is better than Leo for one specific reason he has a counter which GREATLY helps in combine with his version of draw attacks since he has a 50% (80 if combined w Provoke) he pretty much will counter you every 2 times he is targeted on a good RNG roll with his counter ability he has a 60% counter chance as well. He also has a self heal in Chakra meaning he can keep doing what he does easily without tiring out to bad he's not even a MP heavy unit either so all he really needs is the fixed 30% heal from Chakra to his HP. Leo is better than Amarant when it comes to dealing damage as a whole, Amarants true damage comes from him being able to counter otherwise his best move is Power Break which ya know.. isn't super useful when Leo has that & Armor Break as long as other offensive tools to play with. Leo also wins in the gear department between the two as well Leo has more merits to be defensive heavy as he can equip shields, heavy armors, and helms. Meanwhile Amarant can't,


    [​IMG] - Warrior of Light
    • Warrior of Light has better passives to support his role (HP +20% & DEF +30%)
    • Leo is able to innately draw attacks in.
    • Warrior of Light has the best break move in the game.
    • Warrior of Light can also tank damage for other allies with Sentinel.
    Overall Verdict: WoL would be better in needing to be a mandatory tank in the game cause he well has HP/DEF buffs which works in greatly for needing to tank hits. WoL's Sentinel doesn't work as oftenly as Leo's Draw Attacks as Sentinel is only a 30% chance to work, while Draw Attacks is 50% he even has a little bit of offensive pressure in Bladeblitz but loses out to status niche to Leo and him having a ATK +20% over WoL. Full Break as we know easily trumps any break, and is the best support move in the game even to the point where it turns fights into a win condition so I would give this to WoL really as his niche is stronger than Leos.


    Conclusion: Yeah, try for Leo if you don't have a tank at this point if you have Amarant / WoL then I wouldn't try super hard to summon him when the banner goes live but in all he's a good tank really. He has a great TM award even so that's something to even farm, and invest in if you got the time.
     
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Bishamonten, RyedeR and Brian80s like this.
  2. RyedeR

    RyedeR Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    16
    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2016
    Global ID:
    570133095
    Leads:
    Vaan, Kefka, Cecil, Artemios, Chizuru
    Rank:
    37
    Nice been waiting for this review too. Great read again @Jet Stingren

    That photo looks OP too :v
     
    Jet Stingren likes this.
  3. kodaich1

    kodaich1 Member

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2016
  4. K.Abuse

    K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    140
    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Global ID:
    378.203.670
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Rank:
    57
  5. Timo

    Timo Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    24
    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2016
    Leo is targeted with 100 % when Provoke is active.

    I never had a situation where a single targeted attack didnt hit Leo when Provoke is active.

    This leads me to the conclusion that Provoke and Draw Enemy count additive.


    Perhaps I had big luck until now...
     
  6. Bishamonten

    Bishamonten New Member

    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    4
    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2016
    Leads:
    Warrior of Light
    Rank:
    37
    Thanks Jet for your thorough review. I use both Leo and WoL in my team now, as WoL is more tank/sup and Leo is more sup/PD for my team.
     
    Jet Stingren likes this.
  7. Lucied

    Lucied Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    13
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2016
    Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Rank:
    63
    Having recently pulled Leo, I'm very excited. I do feel nearly vision will have a unique role to fill, and now that I have a small variety of tanks going, (really REALLY wanting Amarant though) it will be interesting to see how I can fit my Leo, Cecil, and Charlotte into different scenarios.
     
  8. Horus

    Horus Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    17
    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2016
    Is it useless to get 2 Aegis Shield?
     
  9. Lucied

    Lucied Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    13
    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2016
    Global ID:
    340 016 131
    Leads:
    Noctis
    Rank:
    63
    To get two of them? No.
     
  10. Horus

    Horus Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    17
    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2016

Share This Page