1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Maxwell [Brave Frontier]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    One of the four fallen emperors of Grand Gaia. She's well known as the Creator and was one of the first hardest trials in Brave Frontier. That's right we're talking about Maxwell and how well she compares in Global meta. As usual, leave comments, and questions below. And enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: +50% Light Damage
    Trust Mastery Award: Power of The Creator (Materia): ATK/MAG +30%
    Limit Break: 270% AoE 33 Hit Light Magic Attack -> 390% AoE 33 Hit Light Magic Attack

Note: 6* Maxwell is currently unreleased at the time of this review was written. It's currently unknown if she will release soon, or later. When her 6* releases changes will be made to make adjustments to the meta.

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    5* 928 / 2811 (240 42 / 126 (40) 39 / 118 (24) 33 / 100 (16) 28 / 86 (16) 29 / 87 (16) 2 4
    6* 1206 / 3655 (390) 54 / 164 (65) 51 / 154 (34) 43 / 130 (26) 37 / 113 (26) 38 / 114 (26) 3 4

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Nemesis 180% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack 17 11 [*****]
    ATK +30% Boosts users ATK stat by 30% - 32 [*****]
    Genesis 180% AoE 1 Hit Light Physical Attack & 30% Blind/Virus 24 41 [*****]
    Reincarntion Cast Self Heal (ST ~1800 HP + 1x Mod per turn) - 73 [*****]
    Sacred Song Self 3 Turn +80% ATK/DEF & Self 3 Turn Auto Revive with 80% HP 24 80 [*****]
    Overseer of Reincarntion Recover 5% MP per turn + LB fill rate +150% - 1 [******]
    Rune 210% AoE 1 Hit Light Physical Attack & AoE Stat Buff Removal 24 21 [******]
    Man Slayer +50% Physical Damage to Human type enemies. - 50 [******]
    God of Majesty (?) +50% Light Resist - 62 [******]
    HP +30% Boosts users HP by 30% - 75 [******]
    Breath of Genesis AoE All Aliments Cure + AoE protection against aliments for 1 turn 35 94 [******]
    Destiny 200% ST 1 Hit Light Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF 45 100 [******]

Pros:
    Near Flawless PvP Arena Unit: Maxwell is well simply put by her movepool alone is the almost perfect arena unit. She serves to do almost do everything that would benefit her in PvP Arena environments. She has status aliments (Blind/Virus) which in this type of field would pretty much make your team way more safe than usual. She has a innate Human slayer and you already know how most enemies there are human based so she can tear through them more easier. She even has some utility on her with moves like Sacred Song, and Rune to even help her do more in this type of field.

Auto Revive Buff: Similar to another unit we will be comparing later in the post. Maxwell has a auto revive buff that brings her back to 80% HP which is just as good as this mystery unit that will be mentioned later on. Which means she can remain save and not need a turn to be brought back by your healer, or mage who happens to carry Raise on them.

Highest ATK/DEF Buff: While it's only a SELF buff which does sting a bit imo. Maxwell has the highest buffs for this which brings it to a astounding +80% ATK / DEF for three turns which is insane right now in Global and beats out every stat buff that currently exists in the game right now. It's double of what you would get out of Cheer! Also, Maxwell has the full ability to abuse this as great as she can cause she has all the necessities as a attacker really she has AoE, ST, and even a attacking move that ignores DEF. She has full reason to keep spamming this move in all sorts of hard content to come on Global.

Wonderful LB: Her LB is well.. super quick and super fast to element chain which makes it that much more wonderful to use in content really. If you were to use any other Maxwells and use her LB together.. You're guaranteed to get some crazy amounts of elemental chains which means she would be able to do more damage more quicker to the opposing enemy. As a standalone LB, it's still actually pretty decent to use cause of it's massive hit combo and again quick to spark animation.

Cons:
    Limited Weapons: She only has one weapon slot to work with and that's spear which cannot be helped cause it's based off where she is from (Brave Frontier) and this hurts her cause she won't be able to use alot of the free, and good weapons to be handed down in Global right now. She does have a couple she can work with for sure! But, ultimately she will be losing out on more niche, and better weapons with only spears as he weapon slot.

PvP Arena:
    Earlier I mentioned that she was a near flawless PvP Arena unit. I have mentioned my reasons as the fact that she has innate Human Slayer, decent AoE, and status aliment moves. However, she has one main problem on her hands is that most of her attacks are light element while this NORMALLY would not be a huge problem for her in content alike provided there is no resistances. There's one unit in PvP Arena who well ignores pretty much all of her attacks and that's Cecil. Cecil at 6* having the 100% resistance to light really puts a hard stop on Maxwells train of damage. She can't actually hurt him besides using Nemesis, or normal attacks. But, since Cecil does have that going for him she does get damped down a little bit.

She also well struggles against fighting herself in battles cause since again Maxwell has the 100% Light resistance on her one she would have to rely on her weaker damage moves to safely get rid of her, and other Cecils alike. But, other than this Maxwell is a phenomenal arena unit.

Trust Mastery Award:
    This TM is easily one to be farmed. ATK/MAG+30% is very great for a select handful of units. But, this TM would more so great for units who have uses for both stats, or even some hybrid units in the game that may come around eventually. So, yes I recommend grinding this TM completely.

Comparing To Other Units:

[​IMG] - Elza
    • Elza has the higher total ATK passive at 70% with Maxwell being only 30%
    • Maxwell has great AoE, and DEF ignore attacks while Elza has none.
    • Both share a auto revive buff, but Maxwells is more relevant to use.
    • Elza has strong debuffs, Maxwell doesn't have any.
    Overall Verdict: Elza would win here for the damage thanks to her higher passives in the battle. Maxwell I suppose with her respective buffs up could be on par with Elza but those are stat buffs, while Elza doesn't have to be buffed at all to out damage Maxwell effectively. In a supporter standpoint the two are well tied really since they majority are pretty alike in battle. Both of them have auto revive buffs, they can both remove status aliments, and they both have resistances to certain elements. Elza being dark, and Maxwell being light. Hell, they even both only have spears as their only weapons to choose lol.

[​IMG] - Cloud of Darkness
    • Both have innate Human Slayer, but CoD is stronger at 125%
    • CoD has higher total ATK passive at 50%, while Maxwell is at 30%
    • CoD has innate resistances to every element, while Maxwell only resists light.
    • Maxwell has more dangerous status aliments than CoD.
    Overall Verdict: Maxwell would actually win in damage this time. I know you're probably asking why is cause her Destiny would easily outshine CoDs Call of The Void. Destiny is a 200% mod with -50% DEF ignore which alone is fairly dangerous and we haven't seen in this game at all! Compared to CoD 210% mod with -25% DEF ignore. When it comes to a supporter role between the two. CoD only wins cause of Omni Veil really. Besides this they would've been really close and maybe even tied. But, Omni Veil is easily a very niche support move in Global right now and it will remain valuable for usage for a long time. So, Maxwell for the damage, and CoD for the support.

Conclusion:
    As a free unit that can be obtained for being her trial in the event. She's very well worth it to bust out in PvP Arena, or just to use in general content. I don't see why you wouldn't try getting her cause she again free lol. But, as to use her or not I would most definitely use Maxwell in teams anywhere that calls for her. I honestly recommend that everyone try to get this decent free unit.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    BraveBoot, Ciao, Abudaman and 20 others like this.
  2. HeartnetXIII

HeartnetXIII Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Big fans of your unit overwiew..

thank you :)

TooLegit50 likes this.
  3. honda

honda Active Member

elza dark maxwell light.. this duo is awesome, i cant clear the elite crystal tower and the great demon before but elza turned the table.. i love elza for now >.<

4. PureS

PureS Member

what ? Maxwell event next OMG my body have'nt ready yet :oops: . She was the strongest unit of BF for a very long time . Her LB is just sick

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  5. Andretti

Andretti Member

Maxwell in arena will be quite bad at the moment despite having man-eater and 100% light resist against those Excaliburs. Right now pretty much like 95% of the arena teams have at least one Cecil, which hard-counters her.

6. Zero5854

Zero5854 Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lunith, Wk Noel, Noctis
    wait so if we beat her in BF we get her free for FF Brave exvius?

EDIT: oh duh I didn't read it right nvm smh lol

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  7. Killerdemon

Killerdemon Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    WoL, Chiz, Cecil, Kef and Len
    stupid question... But can we farm more than one?

8. dariakyl

dariakyl Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Not really, if you have a unit like COD, you can bait Cecil protection on an unit other than the one you want to kill with destiny. Actually, that's the tactic I'm using, barrage with COD, Cecil protects a unit, I unleash all my other units on one other character. That works pretty well if you have enough to kill a unit in one turn.

9. Luckyguy18

Luckyguy18 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    No don't think so,

On a side note
    Doesn't maxwell gets 6star in jp?

10. kurizu

kurizu Cuddle Cuddle <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Noctis | JP Balthier
    Jet you put stats for 5-6 but for now we get only 5* so your overwiew is little off.

11. CrovaxSK

CrovaxSK Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning
    Nice writeup. Thanks for that. 80% self buff is insane!

12. Jose

Jose Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: MAH BOI CECIL JP: Bronion Knight
  13. Odin

Odin Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    You the man Jet! Thanks for another great write up.

14. TooLegit50

TooLegit50 Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Elza 797 attack
    I'm a big fan of your reviews!

15. K.Abuse

K.Abuse Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Chizuru, Kefka, WoL, Lenna
    Woot, Jet on overtime pushing this review!

16. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member Supporter

Awesome thanks! I can't wait to get her. I wonder if replacing Black Cat Lid with her is a good idea?

17. Sir Vincent

Sir Vincent The eternal student Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Shadow 200 ATK
    No.
    She doesn't have half of her stronger side ability at 5*.
    BCL straight up murder anything or at least leave a dent on anything she faces.

18. Provoke

Provoke Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    450 960 537
    Leads:
    Kefka / Cecil / DKC / Refia
    I remember someone also post that up on BF forum years ago.. Lol

19. Amiricle

Amiricle Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Lightning, Locke, CoD
    maybe this week in arena since hex strike is banned, but in general, no.

Zissoulander likes this.
  20. ZeroBDT

ZeroBDT Well-Known Member

Can i overrule her light damage problem with using elzas demon scythe on her or would it make no difference?

I've accidently killed my elza....