1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Medius [Final Fantasy BE]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He's the guy with two guns in hand. That's right we're talking about Medius and how well he compares to the Global meta. As usual, leave comments and questions below. And lastly, enjoy the review.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Growth Egg (Materia): Boosts EXP gained by 1.5
    Limit Break: Base: Physical damage (2.7x) to all enemies Max: Physical damage (3.9x) to all enemies

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 1404 (150) 64 (25) 65 (14) 52 (10) 57 (10) 52 (10) 1 6
    4* 1811 (210) 82 (35) 84 (18) 67 (14) 73 (14) 67 (14) 1 6
    5* 2264 (240) 102 (40) 106 (24) 84 (16) 91 (16) 84 (16) 1 6
    6* 3385 (390) 148 (65) 146 (34) 116 (26) 118 (26) 116 (26) 1 6

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Aim 120% ST Physical Attack 3 1 [***]
    Power Shot 120% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 3 21 [***]
    Magic Shot 120% ST 1 Hit Magic Attack 6 29 [***]
    Auto Bowgun 130% AoE 5 Hit Physical Attack 3 17 [****]
    Burst Shot Physical damage (1x) with critical (100%) to one enemy 6 32 [****]
    Draw Attacks Increase Target Chance by 50% - 60 [****]
    Scattershot 110% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack 6 37 [*****]
    Auto Limit Gain 1 LS per Turn - 53 [*****]
    Multiburst Critical Hit 100% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack 20 80 [*****]
    Ambition +40% Crit Chance - 24 [******]
    Gun Master +20% ATK when holding Guns - 45 [******]
    Hyper Fire 2-5 80% Random Attack 16 56 [******]
    HP +20% Boost HP by 20% - 70 [******]
    Blazing Glory 180% ST physical attack with -30% DEF ignore 36 92 [******]
    Pros:
    HP/ATK Passives (Current): As a 6*, Medius actually got some passives which was nice considering he had no passives at all when he was a max 5* so that does help him a bit in terms of dealing damage and taking damage to make him seem a bit better to use overall.

100% Crit Moves: (Both): Medius has a cool gimmick in attacks that will always crit. This basically makes the move look stronger than it will actually appear to be which could give him higher damage potential against enemies on the field. It's not super amazing, but helpful in his case.

Easy Chain Starter (Both): Medius actually has some pretty fast attack animation which can allow him to start up fast chains with some of your other attackers for them to deal more damage to the enemy.

Cons:
    Draw Attacks: (Both): Medius is a physical attacker which is clearly shown in his movepool. However, they decided to give him this which wounds him to levels I can't even imagine. Draw Attacks makes it so he gets targeted more oftenly in battle which is very bad in his case cause he is NOT the unit you want to be targeted. This would normally be suited for a unit who is your tank, or relatively bulky support. But, Medius is neither of those. This basically will make him into a walking suicide cannon provided he is not protected good enough in battle.

Low ATK Passives (Current): While he did get at least a +20% ATK boost this is considered to be really low for any 6* with the standard being 50% total boost. Even some units like Lightning who only got 30% can slide in this case. But, he has a very low 20% boost which simply doesn't cut it for this meta at all. They could've at least given him a innate +20% boost to his ATK or something. Cause +20% alone is not gonna cut it.

Rapid Fire (Current): This is literally a worse Barrage. It has a 2-5 hit chance which means you'll get in between total on one enemy 160% up to 400% if you can get all 5 hits off. However, it's 2-5 hit chance which means he will not always hit the high hit of 4-5 on his move. Making this move feel useless to use in total. I would rather stick to his AoE moves to be honest.

Low Modifiers (Both): His modifiers for most of the attacks you'll be using are a tad bit low. His highest AoE move is only a 110% modifier which is only +30% stronger than a normal attack, and his best ST move is about 267% after which is okay-ish. But, not something that really deals alot in this meta. It's something, but not good enough.

PvP Arena:
    Medius wouldn't be a strong suit here either. The main reason is for his low modifiers which will never break the 999 damage cap. He could again help you start chains for your other attacks for you to deal better damage. And that's something.. But, him as a standalone unit for PvP Arena. I wouldn't use him.

Trust Mastery Award:
    The Growth Egg is actually pretty worth it to grab cause it helps you level units faster. And if you're not spamming cactuars into your unit then this helps them grow a bit faster when you do explorations for grinding materials such as megacryst, or whatever you may need. So, it's a pretty alright TM that you can grab.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Delita
    • Both have boosted crit chance, and same ATK passive.
    • Delita is able to support the team with buffs, and debuffs.
    • Delita has a higher HP passive.
    Overall Verdict: I would give it to Delita cause of the damage. As I mentioned before, Medius highest move on a single enemy reaches 267% which is low. Delita on the other hand has 320% on Barrage which is of course better. Delita also has alot of useful tricks that would easily make him more better to use as opposed to Medius. So, I would give this one 100% to Delita.

Conclusion:
    Sad to say this but Medius is a pretty bad 6*. His low modifiers, passives, and the fact that he gets hugely wounded by Draw Attacks is mainly the reason of this. He wouldn't be as great to use in this meta. If you did not have a single 6* attacker in your game then he could be a solid use til you get something better. But, if you already have a decent attacker on your team.. Then he's simply not worth the trouble at all.

Rastaps4, Kosiciel, Rinny and 2 others like this.
  2. olele

olele Active Member

Global ID:
  3. Asf

Asf VIP VIP

A review of 1 word (::poop::) would suffice in this case . Lol

olele likes this.
  4. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Setzer
    Get two and grab their balls... erm, eggs! That's all he is useful for :P

5. Enzoyeh

Enzoyeh Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra
    Thanks for the analysis as always. How heart breaking... I had really hoped that he would be similar to Amelia but I guess not... Really hoped for that innate gun dual wield.

TooLegit50 and Stealth like this.
  6. Khidir

Khidir Active Member

I appreciate your review Jet, all he has going for him is his cool attack animation. I also appreciate the effort to properly evaluate any advantages he does have.

If I was in your shoes I simply would have youtubed that Family guy episode where Peter just says No

7. Requiem

Requiem Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, no idea why he wasn't given innate gun dual wield, at least that would have made him minimally useful to some people. As it stands, he's the worst 6 star in the game and pretty useless if you have even decent 5 star dps like BCL, Kain.

8. jeremyj26

jeremyj26 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was using gigantuars from maze to level him up, thinking he would give a bonus in the holiday event. What a waste.

TooLegit50 likes this.
  9. Orbis

Orbis Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Medius has a 40% crit chance passive tho... combine that with 20 Sided Dice TM and that's 60%. Got to count for something.

10. Zion

Zion Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Darkness
    I want a weapon exclusive with DW o Dual Gun for medius :C

11. Bannibal

Bannibal Active Member Supporter

Me too! grrr....

12. Zion

Zion Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Cloud of Darkness
    me too xD, but I thinking he would come with DW o Dual Gun xD

13. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Struggler VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Setzer
    He should have innate dual gun wielding, c'mon, look at his sprite!

14. Diego Vargas

Diego Vargas Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    So I kind of disagree with some of the Medius hate.

I decided to level one up to 6*85 and I have to say he is pretty good as a chain builder.

No TMR ELT dropping all the boxes turn 1.

This same tactic works in Arena where his auto blowgun is pretty awesome at racking up the chain multiplier. If you have fat fingers or dont get how to seutp good chains then sure, he sucks but if you use him for what he is meant for he works out pretty well.

Also as for his draw attacks, I have him wear a mirage vest as required and especially for this event it is REALLY REALLY good to know with a high degree of certainty that Medius is the main target of all the Death Spells and not my Refia.

I think a lot of his other skills are pretty useless, but he basically gets auto blow gun and 6*stats and I use him as accelerent to turn my meteor's into planet killers.

15. Sparkle

Sparkle Ascended Member

i want to like that post more than once.

16. Diego Vargas

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    Some Arena footage:

Sunnycyde likes this.
  17. Raine

Raine Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raine: CoD/Gilgamesh
    He died a lot :___________________(

18. winova

winova Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh/Chizuru
    Sure, Medius is among the better unit thanks to his auto-bowgun skill, but he still has draw attack and his 6* brings no thing new to the table. A 4* Medius (learns auto bowgun at lv17) is enough to start the chain, you dont need his 6*. Carrie, a 2* friend point unit, and Edgar can also do the auto-bowgun chain, better than Medius since they can use the elemental swords. Granted, we now have a fire elemental gun but it is a limited event item.

I am not so sure if there is a "Medius hate", it is more like people being disappointed. They boarded the hype train and talked about how GL was heading its own direction, with GL exclusive units like Medius, Cerius, Santa Roselia, Noel and GL special version of Noctis. Medius was not amazing (what are we expecting from a 3* base?); and the bigger the expectation, the harder the fall.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  19. Ako

Ako Member

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question:
    Suppose you somehow succeed to negate Medius's Draw Attack passive with ie Montana's Camouflage or something similar. How valid would Medius become as pure dps? I'm thinking maybe using him as such combined with St. Roselia, WK Noel, CoD and Mercedes combo (unless I get any semi-decent 6* dps, those are my only ones so far...)

Thanks for the review, it's been a great help!

20. Diego Vargas

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    A 4*Medius or Edgar doesnt have the durability of a 6*star unit, given nearly 2x stats. Vs. the Arena AI I can usually survive not going first and then win from landing a big meteor chain, that wouldnt be possible with half the stats a 4* unit has (even more laughable with Carrie). I also dont see Draw attacks as being too much of a negative, it basically lets you plan around most of the pain being directed at him and you can play/gear/plan accordingly.. eg draw attacks is very good during the current event as it is a vacuum for all the death spells should you not wipe out all the boxes turn 1 or if you use a mirage vest and cast it when the frostor does his Charging/smash skill.

In any case I am not disagreeing that Gumi made a real big mistake with Medius's main skill tree and Limit burst, a 6* unit shouldnt be just about 1 skill, but here he is. Medius is a 3*star unit which means lots of people are going to get him during their pulls which makes taking this lemon and showing that he can make some pretty sweet lemonade if you use him right is my point here anyways.

I think some minor changes to Medius would be required to make him competitive.

1) Hyper Fire should be an auto blowgun with 9 hits, not the current non chainable random trash it is now. Think Blowgun being "Firea" and Hyperfire being "Firega" in skill improvement. As it currently sits, there is really no reason to ever use it in any scenario.
    2) His Limit burst should be an auto blowgun: fixed 1.3 ATK x 9 hits scaling in hits alone to 25 hits at Lv25 and provide a crit bonus of 10% to 35%(Lv25) for 3 turns to the party allowing him to create a super powerful chain that other team mates can exploit once every LB gauge and rewards burst pot investment.
    3) He should have an evade passive (dodge bullets like a movie star)
    4) He should have a cover active skill that reduces the damage he takes by 75% and gives him 25% Counter attack vs. phys/magic (like every gun hero taking cover behind a chest high wall and taking pot shots as people rushing his cover)

If Medius was a higher base unit Id say he should have had dual wield, especially given his limited equipment selection and sprite animation but Id take the above changes as a priority first.

Sunnycyde and Sparkle like this.