1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Penelo (Final Fantasy 12)

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Catsaber, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Catsaber

Catsaber Member

Global ID:
    Meet Penelope Pitstop, also know as..
    [​IMG]
    *ahem*, Pitstop is no mere car driver, but a dancer on top of that! ..And the childhood friend of a certain someone who people dislikes ::ink::

*Lore*

A young lady sung of in tales of the far-off world of ivalice. Orphaned after war, she was taken in and raised with her childhood friend Vaan, the two remaining inseparable until Vaan is caught consorting with pirates in the palace and led away in chains. Penelo is subsequently kidnapped by the ruthless bounty hunter Ba'Gamnan, but the friends are eventually reunited, once again becoming close companions on their quest. Penelo warmly watches over her friend as he grows from his experiences.

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 411 / 1245(300) 23 / 71(50) 17 / 52(20) 16 / 47(20) 20 / 61(20) 20 / 60(20) 1 4
    4* 530 / 1607(450) 30 / 91(75) 22 / 67(30) 20 / 61(30) 26 / 79(30) 26 / 78(30) 1 8

Magic Levels at 3*: Black Magic Level 3, Green Magic Level 3
    Magic Levels at 4*: Black Magic Level 4, Green Magic Level 4

Resistances: Nada

Trust Master Award: Equip Dagger

Limit Break at 3*: 180% AoE Physical Attack -> 225% AoE Physical Attack
    Limit Break at 4*: 200% AoE Physical Attack -> 270% AoE Physical Attack

Abilities and Magic learned at each rarity:
    3*: Water, Aero, Blizzara, Shell, Curing Waltz, Jitterbug Duet
    4*: Faith, +20% MP, Sword Dance (+ the above)

Pros: While you might be thinking "buy hey! she only goes up to 4*, therefore she isnt a good unit etc", penelo still has her strengths. For instance, Curing waltz is basically an aoe cure, which means if you dont have any healer she can pretty much fill that role. Faith, as always, is good for mages, and sword dance is pretty much a weaker version of barrage that doesnt have that rng effect.

Cons: Suffers for being one of the "ignored units" in jp, aka stuck in 4* forevah. Cant equip higher green/black tier magic which is also a drawback. And the fact that her Limit breaks is PHYSICAL dmg pretty much means either you equip a dagger or mace and only focus on her dancer skills, or equip a rod and only use her magic

Trust Mastery: Equip daggers! be a thief-- i mean a treasure hunter! well, try to at least.. there isnt much to say, right now there isn't a single good dagger, if you look at the tm's list in reddit, not a SINGLE character gives a dagger equipment, so imo it isnt worthy to farm for this TM unless things change in the future..

Conclusion: 5/10, good unit early on, but as game progresses she gets behind a lot and being a 4* max unit means a lot of visions can outclass her.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Rinny and Ryudo like this.
  2. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Sakura
    Penelo makes a good waifu, but she really lacks in efficiency. Hopefully they'll still give her a 5* that makes her super awesome again.

They could've at least given her "Steal", given that she's bffs with Vaan and all. :(

Also, fixed up your table:

Code:
    [table]
    [tr]
    	[th]Rarity Level[/th]
    	[th]HP[/th]
    	[th]MP[/th]
    	[th]ATK[/th]
    	[th]DEF[/th]
    	[th]MAG[/th]
    	[th]SPR[/th]
    	[th]DC[/th]
    	[th]Hits[/th]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    	[td]3*[/td]
    	[td][I]411[/I] / 1245(300)[/td]
    	[td][I]23[/I] / 71(50)[/td]
    	[td][I]17[/I] / 52(20)[/td]
    	[td][I]16[/I] / 47(20)[/td]
    	[td][I]20[/I] / 61(20)[/td]
    	[td][I]20[/I] / 60(20)[/td]
    	[td]1[/td]
    	[td]4[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    	[td]4*[/td]
    	[td][I]530[/I] / 1607(450)[/td]
    	[td][I]30[/I] / 91(75)[/td]
    	[td][I]22[/I] / 67(30)[/td]
    	[td][I]20[/I] / 61(30)[/td]
    	[td][I]26[/I] / 79(30)[/td]
    	[td][I]26[/I] / 78(30)[/td]
    	[td]1[/td]
    	[td]8[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Catsaber likes this.
  3. Terra

Terra Half-Esper Editor VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Terra
    Also, hopefully they will change her look to her Revenant Outfit as her current outfit looks bland for my taste. :-P

[​IMG]

4. Catsaber

Catsaber Member

Global ID:
    thx for the table fix! somehow i always end up messing something for some reason x.x

5. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member Supporter

What would you suggest building on her?
    I am kinda playing her as a Mage.. should I focus on ATK instead of M.ATK?

6. Iliyana

Iliyana Chasing rainbows! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth
    She's a filler unit until you can get something better. She won't take you far...

7. Hope

That doesn't answer my question. Shes one of the best characters I currently have.

8. Iliyana

Iliyana Chasing rainbows! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Luneth
    She has higher mag than atk and her abilities are spells and magic support. Keep using her as a Mage and pseudo healer until you get better units. She did wonders for me in the early part of the game.

9. Hope

Yeah thats what I was doing.. Thanks! I've replaced my Clyne with Celes. Sad, I love Clyne but Celes is better than him. :(
    I'll replace Russell, Penelo and Luna once I get better units to take their spot. Though I do want to max Luna's barrage tms