1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Sazh [Final Fantasy 13]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Move in Silence VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    A man who once was a pilot of the airships in Cocoon. Only to have himself thrown into the heat of the battle turning himself a I'Cie in better hopes to save his son. That's right, we're talking about Sazh and how well he compares to the Global meta.

[​IMG]
    In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [3*] | [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Twenty Sided Die (Accessory): +20% Evade Physical Chance + 20% Critical Hit Chance

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 459 / 1390 (180) 22 / 66 (30) 20 / 62 (12) 17 / 50 (12) 17 / 51 (12) 17 / 50 (12) 2 3
    4* 596 / 1807 (240) 28 / 86 (40) 27 / 81 (16) 22 / 66 (16) 22 / 67 (16) 22 / 66 (16) 3 3
    5* 776 / 2350 (300) 37 / 112 (50) 35 / 106 (20) 28 / 86 (20) 29 / 88 (20) 28 / 86 (20) 4 3

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Aim 120% ST Physical Attack 3 1 [***]
    Power Shot 120% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 3 12 [****]
    Scattershot 110% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack 6 20 [****]
    HP +20% Boosts users HP by 20% - 54 [****]
    Burst Shot Critical Hit 100% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack 6 20 [*****]
    Curaga ST ~800 HP Heal w/ 3.4x Mod 9 42 [*****]
    Multiburst Critical Hit 100% AoE 1 Hit Physical Attack 20 59 [*****]
    Sparkstrike 150% ST 1 Hit Thunder Physical Attack 9 68 [*****]
    Gun Master [Exclusive] +20% ATK when holding a Gun - 75 [*****]
    Full Break 160% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -30% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Debuff 14 80 [*****]
    Pros:
    Gun Passive: In Global, we got him buffed in the right place. Prior to this he didn't have a ATK up passive at all which would've definitely taken it's toll on him quickly making him less wanted, and unwanted for the meta. But, luckily he did get it and it's good enough to make good use of his attacks, and makes him more usable for content.

100% critical moves: This one isn't a true pro, cause it's not anything to fancy. But, it does help his DPS overall cause of the extra damage the crit itself gives and fortunately for Sazh he has it in ST, and AoE attacks which means he can be used to clear waves more quicker, or chunk down bosses more easier with the extra damage at hand.

Full Break: We have another Full Breaker unit here. And you can't really have too many full breakers since it's still a valuable move in the meta and warrants him to be used in the specific fights we're it's
    preferred.

Cons:
    Low MAG/SPR: For some reason, they gave Sazh Curaga as means as some kind of support to add on to his Full Break. But, the problem is he doesn't have the merits to use it effectively. I guess you could say to use it if one unit on your team is severely weakened to the point that a standard Curaja wouldn't bring them up to a survivable amount? That could be a reason for you to use his skill. But, Sazh is mainly designed as a offensive unit better for him to focus on his 1 role.

PvP Arena:
    Sazh gets some use here cause he has the bare minimums of what he's trying to do. He has a solid ATK up passive, AoE, and even a small elemental attack to deal thunder attack to enemies. So, he could be used. He not super OP and doesn't have any slayers, or DEF ignore attacks or anything. But, with his 100 crit moves he could be used to snipe off opponents fast before they have a chance to recover up.

Trust Mastery Award:
    Sazh's TM is not really worth it imo. I mean you do get a cool gimmick in allowing your units to evade potentially fatal physical attacks increasing their survival rate in battle, even allowing to the chance having extra damage with higher crit chance. But, outside of a gimmick, it doesn't do anything and personally feels like a waste of a accessory slot.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Mustadio
    • Both can pretty much break enemies by 30% but Sazh does it faster in 1 turn for all effects.
    • Mustadio can out DPS Sazh in total modifiers with Rapid Fire.
    • Sazh has higher passives than Mustadio.
    Overall Verdict: In terms of damage Mustadio could out damage Sazh due to fact of Rapid Fire needing one extra hit. It's very unlikely that you'll get only one shot with the move if he gets 2 shots then it's 200% total mod (100% per shot) making him potentially deal more even with the lesser ATK passive. In terms of everything else, Sazh would be better. He has a better survival chance (HP +20% namely), a very slight higher support heal in Curaga. So damage for Mustadio, everything else for Sazh.

[​IMG] - Ingus
    • Ingus hits for more elements, while Sazh can hit for 1.
    • Ingus has more supportive options like Esuna, and Cura.
    • Ingus has more equipment options that warrants him more survival chances.
    Overall Verdict: Sazh being Physical DPS, and Ingus being Magical DPS so I'm not gonna compare these two things really. But, in terms of supporting your teammates. Ingus would be better cause even if it's not to be used as your main heal. Cura is definitely better cause it at least heals everyone. He also has backup Esuna which can help your healer, or other unit to be brought out of a tough spot if need be. In terms of supporting, Ingus definitely wins this one.

[​IMG] - Agrias
    • Agrias has more supportive options in Cura, Protectga for the team.
    • Sazh passives are higher than hers.
    • Agrias has more equipment options which warrants her more survival chances.
    Overall Verdict: I would give this one to Agrias really. Reason being is that Sazh outside of his FB doesn't have a strong supportive background to any team. No buffs, his only heal is ST, no debuff/statuses etcetc. Agrias has well most of these which helps your team where it may fit. I've been saying this but Cura is definitely better than Curaga cause it heals everyone. There's not to many specific moments where you only need to heal 1 unit on your team. Agrias also wins in damage output with her move "Cleansing Strike" which can reach up to a total 300% mod on one enemy. While Sazh most highest is 160% mod on his FB. So, Agrias is better overall.

Conclusion:
    Sazh isn't one of those "OH, YOU MUST PULL IT" units by any means and if you have any other Full Breakers namely WoL/Agrias he wouldn't really be a prime unit to choice in this time of content. If he's your first one, I'd use him until you get something better. He ain't bad, but he's not overly amazing either.

TooLegit50, Reizen and Syuri like this.
  2. Sephiroth66

Sephiroth66 Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Olive
    "He ain't bad, but he's not overly amazing either." - /Review

lol.

I got a few I'm using for bonuses, but can't bring myself to do much else with them. I wasn't a huge fan of him in FFXIII anyways. I did like the little chocobo that he had though.

3. Farron

Farron Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    083 439 625
    Leads:
    Exdeath Luneth
    Bit of trivia: the chocobo chick's name is Chocolina. And it's a she. FFxiii-2 did some weird plot twist thing with Sazh, his son and Chocolina as she's like a guide and shopkeeper.

OT: Its getting a bit frustrating how full breakers are becoming just a spam unit. Like most Ff characters in the game, great in their original games but meh or worse in be; just look at Fran.

4. Arwen

Arwen Member

I thought his TMR could be pretty useful for tank units - dodging 1 out of 5 attacks while countering with a 1 out of 5 chance of landing a critical hit... am I wrong?
    Even without innate counter, a black belt is relatively easy to obtain and quite a few Cecils opt to have it anyway.

5. Slarkk

Slarkk Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    I just pulled a Vaan and have two Sazhs. Who should I use as my fullbreaker? Been trying to pull WoL or Agrias but oh well Rngesus gave me Vaan..

6. korendir

korendir Well-Known Member

If u need focus, then Vaan. But if you, like most others, have cecil, then that is moot. I'd personally go Sazh not because he is more powerful, i think they are pretty equal, but because if u need a FB unit, u might as well level it and have it be useful while doing this event for the bonus

Slarkk likes this.
  7. Slarkk

Slarkk Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    That's my problem. I have no cecil(tank) or wol(tank/fb). I've been trying on dailies but all i get is Vaan, lol. I now have 3 Vaans hahahaha. I'm focusing on getting Lightning to 6* for her event bonus next week :/

8. bufus

bufus Active Member Supporter

I got 4 so far, and I think I'll fuse them once the event is over... I don't TMR farm, and don't see any use in keeping more than one...

9. jeremyj26

jeremyj26 Well-Known Member Supporter

Then Vaan, as he can (kinda) tank.