1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Thief [Final Fantasy: CD]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Wings of Freedom | Freedom For Us. Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    I was gonna do a review, but my text was stolen by Thief rip me. Anyway, today we're talking about Thief and how well he stacks in the current GL meta, as usual leave comments, and questions in the thread below. And I hope you enjoy the review!

[​IMG]

In Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] & [​IMG] [5*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Magic Levels at 5*: None
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: None
    Trust Mastery Award: Steal Coin (Ability): 200% Damage on one enemy, steal gil from opponent.
    Limit Break: Evades 3 Attacks for 1 Turn

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 642 / 1946 (210) 28 / 86 (35) 27 / 83 (18) 23 / 71 (14) 23 / 69 (14) 24 / 73 (14) 2 4
    5* 835 / 2530 (240) 37 / 112 (40) 36 / 108 (24) 31 / 93 (16) 30 / 90 (16) 31 / 95 (16) 3 4

Abilities Learned At Each Level:
    4*: Steal (2), Escape (12), Steal Gil (21), Steal HP (60)
    5*: Steal Time (15), Steal Aura (32), Triple Attack (46), Bandit (64), Steal MP (70), Mercy Stroke (80)

Pros: ... He's a thief among thieves. Compared to the current thieves we have like Locke & Zidane.. He's way more useful than them cause he well is able to steal everything.. He can steal HP, MP, remove buffs with Steal Aura, and even cause Stop with Steal Time. This is also well complemented by the fact that he has bandit which makes his steal moves be doubled which is very well appreciated. Thief also isn't limited like Locke & Zidane are. Since he's able to support the team with Dispel, Stop status, and a ATK debuff that is better than Power Break he could very well be a good slot in a team after all. He can even support himself with Steal HP & Steal MP which allows him to heal himself a bit respectively without over dependence on a healer, or if you're still using Cura as your main heal he can get himself back up more with it.

Cons: Honestly, there's nothing to much wrong for Thief in what he's trying to do. He's not limited to use like Zidane & Locke would be. He does his job better, and adds a good niche to the team. Escape is probably the only gripe I have cause it's well useless could've been slotted out with Stealth to make it better for his role haha.

Trust Mastery Award: I wouldn't go for this one at all, it's not worth, and doesn't add any relevance to team / self benefit to your squads. Skip this one entirely.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Locke
    • Locke excels in grinding more rare materials, which at this stage of the game is well needed.
    • Locke has more common status, but Thief has stop which is a rare status effect.
    • Thief has Bandit which doubles his stealing chances to 60% per steal, while Locke is at 30% base.
    Overall Verdict: I would give it to Thief as I already stated that he's not limited to the potential of his job, while Locke does have a chance to not be attacked more so than Thief, he also has paralysis, and a 100% crit move for his niches in battle. Overall, Thief would win cause he does more in DPS, and is a great self support, and relatively okay team support with his debuff, and stop status.

[​IMG] - Zidane
    • Both units have Bandit.
    • Zidane has counter, and a small chance to take attacks.
    • Thief has more steal options than Zidane.
    Overall Verdict: Again, this one goes to Thief in team relevance, I've already explained when I compared him to Locke. Zidane may have Bandit has well, but Zidane can only really steal items, and gil. While Thief can steal well everything you can possibly think of. So, Thief wins this one entirely.

Conclusion: If you want try and summon for him. He's a superb thief (cause his name is thief!) and when you need to steal a bit of well everything he's a good option to go to for content clearing cause of his dispel, and stop status which is very niche in battles to bosses / enemies who are able to be hit by it. So, I would try for Thief.

Fou-Lu, Anjuna and Da-mav like this.
  2. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    Honestly, this Thief is more useful than fencer

3. Night

Night Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Noctis
    Not more useful then Fencer with barrage ;)

4. Anjuna

Anjuna Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Demon Rain
    Jet, do you know if equipping Thief's Bracer when it finally arrives would further increase Thief's steal success for Stop and Buffs?

5. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    It's a different story if Fencer got Barrage::exp::

6. Danis

Danis Member

Global ID:
    Triple Attack is a welcome addition on this thief ;)

7. Orbis

Orbis Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Pretty sure Thief has a 50% base Steal like Zidane.