1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Vaan [Final Fantasy 12]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren #1 Marie Fan! Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Wanna know why Vaan is so highly regarded in the game? Is he maybe the best unit out in Global right now? Well, we're gonna sit down and talk about one of FF XII main heroes and btw FF XII: Zodiac Age confirmed. Prepare your wallets.

[​IMG]
    Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    3* 540 / 1636 (180) 22 / 68 (30) 20 / 61 (12) 20 / 60 (12) 18 / 54 (12) 18 / 54 (12) 3 2
    4* 697 / 2111 (240) 29 / 88 (40) 26 / 79 (16) 26 / 78 (16) 23 / 70 (16) 23 / 70 (16) 4 2
    5* 871 / 2639 (300) 36 / 110 (50) 33 / 99 (20) 32 / 97 (20) 29 / 87 (20) 29 / 88 (20) 5 2

Magic Levels at 5*: White Magic Lvl 4, Black Magic Lvl 4, Green Magic Lvl 4
    Resistances: None | Weaknesses: None
    Trust Master Award: Maximillion: +61 DEF
    Limit Break: 250% AoE Physical Attack > 345% AoE Physical Attack

Abilities Learned at Each Level:
    3*: Aero, Steal, +20% ATK
    4*: Bird Slayer, +20% DEF, Armor Break
    5* Aeroga, +20% HP, Concentrate, Full Break

Pros: Vaan is arguably one of the best units out in Global right now for a good amount of reasons. 1: He has steal, steal is needed as a extra insurance to grind for evo materials in Colosseum, and it will be needed for sure to steal special items in later content this I can 100% confirm. 2: He has self buffs in almost every stat. Not to many units even have 1 buff but the fact that Vaan has 3/5 stats being boosted by 20% to make up for his slightly lower stats makes the concern of his DPS & survival chances to not be worried about. Tbh, he doesn't even need the SPR boost. 3: He has Full Break, this is one of the best attacking moves in Global right now easily. If you don't know FB debuffs every stat of the opponent by 30% so this means they take a decrease of 30% to ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR this is such a easy boss killer that is not funny haha. If you have any really good structured team with Vaan with decent support then you probably won't lose to nothing if you play smart that's how much of a difference Full Break makes in content now it's really insane haha. On the extra side he also has a nice pot cap (when we start to get pots to boost stats) all at a even 20, and HP having a 50. Most units are in the 14-18 ish with their imps good to see Vaan has a higher cap.

Cons: Technically, I would've complained about his rather low stats if you can see he only has a ATK stat of 99 at max, and a MAG stat of 87 which compared to a medium of other units who specialize in both MAG, and ATK are at least at 100 or near in both stats, at least he has a +20% ATK to help with the meh amount of attack he has. And he has concentrate for his MAG so I'd say this is more so a half bad con then a full one. Vaan may run into a problem with some squad setups with him having Concentrate since other units like Celes have it his use for it may become a tad bit irrelevant.

Trust Master Award: Very good one to grab, +61 DEF is easily something that is to be worth grabbing once TMAs become easier to grab. Ultimately, I would've liked it to come with a extra effect besides the DEF but it's still a good one to focus one if you have the time, or when Trust Moogles come out.

Comparing to Other Units: Zidane is a worthy competitor to Vaan as he also has the ability to Steal, if you want a unit who's better suited to Steal then Zidane beats Vaan cause he has a better chance to steal, and has moves all around stealing from the opponent, even has higher stats than Vaan as opposed to everything else like support/buffs Vaan has him beat in. Other than Zidane, he has no rivals in other departments. Closest I could say is CoD/Rain who both have Armor Break which Vaan also shares but.. Vaan has Full Break at the end which shuts down Armor Break in comparison easily. Yeh, Vaan got the last laugh.

Conclusion: Better jump for joy if you get Vaan, as he will be a good stick to any team right now in Global, and to me he's a amazing unit due to his buffs, and the ability to use Full Break he's gonna remain high on the Global meta chart for a good while til other units come with FB. So, go spawn for him. Break your wallets for him. Jk, it's not that serious haha. :]

Cruvinix, shabaescaba and Y'shtola like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Member

Great review, Vaan Dah Man shows that he's not only handsome, but broken as well!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  3. shabaescaba

shabaescaba Well-Known Member

Another brilliant review. Thank you. Now I will build a temple to Vaan, and I hope that I pull him.

4. JayLovesTea

JayLovesTea Well-Known Member

Leads:
    Vaan and Bartz
    Wicked review. Vaan has carried me to S-4 INT (I am going to CRUSH S-5!!!) and without him, this game would be much harder. Just to add, yeah his attack is low, primarily he is being used as a support unit / back up DPS for me. Concentrate and Full Break being the 2 main skills that he will use. He does run into mana issues so keep in mind that you want to be timely with your buffs and debuffs. A big mistake is that I am seeing people use Ifrit on Vaan instead of Lasswell (or their maramune user), you lose out on bulk damage as Vaan's full break is a small bonus damage multipler compared to others (let's say barrage/raging fists). He is a tanky support unit who deals abover average physical damage and should be treated as such. The current best weapon found in the Intermedia Colloseum in the game for him is an axe that gives +50 Attack and will be used for quite a long time.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  5. Ryudo

Ryudo Waifu Collector Staff Member Moderator

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Random
    Vaan top tier. Still hoping to pull him one day with the summoner tickets maybe, or possibly a yolo.

6. Terra

Terra Moogle Lover VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Terra | Tidus
    One thing to also note of is his Concentrate Skill +40% to MND/SPR this helps reduce magic damage by a ton (only him and Celes have this ability though on GBL). Do note that he is overshadowed by newer characters with Full Break and in terms of damage and utility like (Warrior of Light (FF1), Agrias (FFT) and good ole' Rain 6* (FF BE).

7. CeciRose

CeciRose Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    306 451 944
    Leads:
    Noctis
    I re-rolled Vann like three times but keeps coming back... I guess he's meant for me... Got him partnered with Miyuki, any feedback?

8. robert

robert Member

Hey i am thankful for your in depth review.. I enjoy your review so much.. I would like to ask you quest, should i equip ifrit on bartz or vaan? Assuming they both lv80.. And what esper suits vaan the most other than ifrit? Thanks..

9. Revenge

Revenge Dark Messenger VIP Supporter

Leads:
    Chizuru
  10. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Member Supporter

Leads:
    Fencer, DKC
    waited for him to get 6* and a bit disappointing, later he got 210% aoe + virus, and 270% st attack (30 mp, which is weaker than barrage 320% only 16mp)
    he'll get evade and debuff magic counter
    not bad but not good either, still all around