1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Unit Overview: Warrior of Light [Final Fantasy 1]

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Jet Stingren, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Your Treasure Staff Member Head Moderator VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    The one who started it all, the first hero we ever who ever came into existence the one who helped build what FF is today! That's right, we're talking about the legendary hero Warrior of Light. As usual, sit back and relax as I go over WoL and how he effects the current GL meta, leave any questions & comments in the thread. :]

[​IMG]

In-Game Sprite Models: [​IMG] [4*] | [​IMG] [5*] | [​IMG] [6*]
    Equipment: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weaknesses: None | Resistances: +100% resistance to Holy attacks.
    Trust Mastery Award: Blessed Light (Ability): +20% MAG/ATK & Regen auto buff.
    Limit Break: 260% AoE Physical Attack > 350% AoE Physical Attack

Rarity Level HP MP ATK DEF MAG SPR DC Hits
    4* 727 / 2087 (240) 30 / 92 (40) 25 / 77 (16) 24 / 73 (16) 25 / 75 (16) 24 / 74 (16) 3 3
    5* 945 / 2713 (300) 39 / 119 (50) 33 / 100 (20) 31 / 95 (20) 32 / 97 (20) 32 / 96 (20) 4 3
    6* 1228 / 3722 (450) 51 / 155 (75) 43 / 130 (30) 41 / 124 (30) 42 / 126 (30) 41 / 125 (30) 4 3

Name Effect MP Level Learned & Rarity
    Store 80% ATK per Use (160% Max) until Next Action (Damage Taken +50%) 2 1 [****]
    DEF +30% Boost users DEF stat by 30% - 4 [****]
    Undead Killer 50% Physical Damage vs Undead Enemies - 17 [****]
    Life Breath Self ~400 HP Heal w/ 3x Mod 6 25 [****]
    Bladeblitz 140% AoE Physical Attack 14 33 [****]
    Sentinel 30% Chance to Defend an Ally (Reduce +50% Phys./Mag. Damage - 48 [****]
    HP +20% Boost users HP stat by 20% - 56 [*****]
    Full Break 160% ST 1 Hit Physical Attack & ST 3 Turn -30% ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Debuff 14 69 [*****]
    Shining Wave 210% AoE 1 Hit Light Magic Attack 30 78 [*****]
    Hope +100% DEF after HP drops below 30% - 1 [******]
    Warrior's Pride 30% Chance Counter Magic w/ Warrior's Pride Self Recover 25% HP/MP - 1 [******]
    Raise ST Revive with 30% HP 12 23 [******]
    Encourage AoE 5 Turn +45% ATK/DEF 57 30 [******]
    Brave Presence 1 Turn +100% Chance to be Targeted 14 40 [******]
    Armor Eraser AoE 3 Turn -45% DEF/SPR Debuff 48 62 [******]
    Arms Eraser AoE 3 Turn -45% ATK/MAG Debuff 48 85 [******]
    The Light is With Us 3 Turn 50% Chance to Defend Allies (Reduce +50% Phys./Mag. Damage) 25 100 [******]
    Pros:
    Great Start: Warrior of Light gets some great abilities simply starting out the gate. Namely his DEF +30%, and Sentinel are the key reasons that you do rely on him for doing his job as a tank based unit. For a newer player, having early access to Sentinel can improve your teams survival chances quite a bit since he's there to take that damage for you. It's only a chance that it does proc but when it does. It will surely help someone out for you.

Hope: This is a amazing ability that WoL will get for one major reason. And that's the nature of the ability itself. This will activate as soon as WoL hits below 30% it doesn't matter if it's during yours, or a enemy phase. It could even be right in the middle of the enemies attacks on him. Which is great cause when it does activate during the enemy cycle it gives him the chance to survive more, and makes their attacks hit like wet noodles basically from his +100% boost to DEF. This is also a great follow up to another move I will mention.

Magic Based Counter: Thanks to his great equip move pool, and base SPR. This magic based counter is actually safe on WoL, and completely reliable. Basically, if you're able to proc this off you're able to save WoL, and keep him going alot for events where you would sponge out his MP for his supportive breaks, and possible Raise effect. Thanks to the nature of his movepool he pretty much (if the enemy has it) a great shot a procing this ability if he's hit by magic. This is this regard would make him a self supporting unit.

The Light is With Us: This was the move I was talking about before. This move.. is .. simply a godsend to the tank meta. What this does is make WoL jump in front of your team and take all the attacks that would be aimed at other units and he would simply take them on his own. This includes AoE, ST, or even RT. All of these moves will go straight to WoL which is simply amazing if he decides to jump in and take it all for the team. It pretty much protects your entire team for the turn that it's casted.

Brave
    Presence: This is the first time where we have had a +100% Provoke coming from a unit without the assistance of things like your esper. With this, you should know where I am going with this.. WoL takes every single ST attack that would be aimed at your team. This is also a great move for ST thresholds like Gilgamesh's Bushido: Freedom (see: 100% Death) cause you wouldn't have to worry about it chancing to go to another unit based on RNG.

Amazing Supportive Movepool: WoL's supportive movepool is great easily. The main things that makes his support so good is the -45% stat breaks he has. This is also a great safety net for him cause if he's able to break the ATK/MAG of enemies he can easily eat the attacks of enemies even more so than he would before. He even also has access to Raise which if you are running a healer is a great combo cause you can raise with WoL then proceed to heal with a healer to get them to a safe range.

Cons:
    Life Breath: This move is pretty niche. But, not by alot.. It's basically a weaker Cura that WoL can cast to get some HP back, it was something that was helpful to him. But, after his 6* came along. Life Breath doesn't heal nearly as much back as you would like. So, I wouldn't really use this move.. Maybe in his beginning stages, but not later on.

Store: In WoL's case, Store has the worst possible placement for him. By looking from his movepool he's mean't to break enemies, and sponge damage with his tank like abilities. You never want to purposely put any damage on a unit for no real reason. Store should be avoided on WoL at all costs really cause it doesn't help him at all.

PvP Arena:
    WoL would be great here cause he can as I mentioned before break enemies with his various eraser moves. He can also draw in moves allowing your DPS to have a chance at taking less damage so you can get the kill more easily in combat. His breaks easily allow you to hit the 999 cap on most properly equipped DPS units for Arena which is great.

Trust Mastery Award:
    This TM is not that great imo. It gives you a small HP regen with Brave/Faith. In early meta, this would've been something that was niche but in now meta it kinda feels like it would be in the way. There's many buffs that are just plan better that can be applied than the stage 1 buffs that this TM can offer. The HP regen is niche, but it's not a saving grace or anything like that. So, I would pass on this TM.

Comparing to Other Units:

[​IMG] - Cecil
    • Warrior of Light supports the team better with debuffs, and Raise.
    • Warrior of Light has a chance to take damage for allies and opposed to one ally.
    • Cecil has more DEF than WoL. But, is easily overshadowed after the "Hope" buff.
    • Cecil can heal allies, while WoL cannot.
    Overall Verdict: Warrior of Light in my honest opinion does a better job at tanking than Cecil. I'm not gonna discredit as say that Cecil is outclassed by WoL. But, I will say that what WoL brings in terms of being a pure tank is just insane. 100% provoke chance, chance to take damage for all your allies, Hope.. Things like this pretty much make WoL a wonderful tank. In terms of support, I would say it's a tie, and it depends on what you need for the content. If you need more support in buffs/heals. I would go Cecil cause he still has one of the best LBs in the game, and Curaja to help your team. If you got that covered, I would simply go WoL cause of him being able to do debuffs. Which makes the content at hand easier to deal with provided the enemy is susceptible to it. So, WoL is better at being a general tank, and it's tied between the two for supportive purpose.

[​IMG] - White Knight Noel
    • WoL has a higher provoke chance than WKN (100% on WoL, 80% on WKN)
    • WoL supports the team better with debuffs, as opposed to ailments from WKN.
    • WKN can put more damage on the board while performing his tank abilities.
    • WKN has just a little bit more passives than WoL.
    Overall Verdict: I would still say WoL is better than WKN. The extreme ability to take AoE, ST, and RT moves all to one unit is just insane. If WoL didn't have this move. I'd say WKN is better. His 80% provoke is great cause it's not 1 turn like WoL is. His is 3 turns meaning in those 3 turns WKN could do things like guard to further reduce the damage that is done to him, or deal damage while your units are more so free to attack. In terms of support, WKN does have a good spot with having elemental debuffs which is rare to say the least. But, if you don't have breaks then WoL is easily the better slot overall. WKN also can put damage on the board which does help to hit enemies down a little bit. While WoL is designed more so to simply sponge attacks, and break down your enemies. So, in general tanking I again would say that WoL is better overall.

Conclusion:
    Warrior of Light is simply a fantastic tank in his new 6* form. From his 5* he has greatly improved on what it takes to be a tank for your characters by pretty much stuffing himself down with tons of merits that makes him compatable to be a great supportive tank in this meta. If you haven't already.. I would 100% make him 6*in a heartbeat. He's surely worth it in every single way possible.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Arngrym, Yuffie, JChunks and 9 others like this.
  2. Goguma

Goguma Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Exdeath
    Cool you are doing unit review even before they are release! This is awesome as it helps decide what i wanna pull :) Just curious.. he's rated pretty decent but not must have in several of the JP ranking list because he hasn't gotten a 6* yet is it?

3. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    He has not.

4. Valmanway

Valmanway Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    Olive / Aileen / Noctis / Orlandeau
    Thanks for that awesome advance review with WoL.

5. DanT

DanT That deaf, dumb and blind kid... VIP Supporter

Just a small update. WoL and Garland are getting 6* forms this week in JP.

6. Shodan

Shodan Ascended Member

I will not be happy with this character unless its a warrior, a white mage, a thief, a black mage and a red mage all standing on each others shoulders...in 8-bit artwork.

Irish likes this.
  7. Vash426

Vash426 VIP VIP Supporter

Thank you for the reviews. Very informative and useful... as well as troubling. Now cuz of this I have two tanks I want to gun for lol. Cecil for my normal balanced group and WOL for my Physical damage group for extra awesome damage output. Keep up the good work.

Plus he just looks really awesome and you are right he started it all which is more a reason to want him. Thanks again.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  8. Mother

Mother Member

defiantly gonna draw him.

9. Last

Last Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Orlandeau
    1XX
    Now gotta save for a new unit then :v

Visco likes this.
  10. Odinswill

Odinswill Member

I donno if I CAN agree with That assessement to Vaan...For exemple I have Kefka and CoD in my team. The Magic Buff is huge in big fights.
    I think he is good in a pure physical team, but when players have "mixed" team, Im not sure.
    Maybe Im wrong, but I feel for my team hes not That much of an upgrade ?
    Mind you, I have Firion, not same roles, but maybe an upgrade on him?

11. rexksvii

rexksvii Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kefka
    His review is clearly written, Vaan is good for mixed team because of Focus. But if you were running a pure melee team, WoL is better.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  12. rexksvii

rexksvii Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kefka
    Sorry to ask this but what is the figure inside the () in the Stat?

I'll definitely spend all my ticket on him and Lenna.

13. Jet Stingren

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Gilgamesh
    Pot Caps future implemented thing to come to Global.

14. rexksvii

rexksvii Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kefka
    Not quite understand lol

Meaning his possible 6 star stat?

15. Kandacat

Kandacat Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    754 479 837
    Leads:
    Noctis
    I already have Cecil at 5* and his Sentinel doing fantastic, i kinda like WoL full break and i want him, but is it make team cloggy if the team have 2 tank? Because my main damage output is from Kefka, Kain and Krile

16. rexksvii

rexksvii Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Kefka
    I think you should pulled for physical damage than a tank or a mage. Lenna would be useful for your team.

17. Kandacat

Kandacat Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    754 479 837
    Leads:
    Noctis
    I've been thinking that too, i feel im lacking on physical damage that's why... maybe just maybe WoL can fill that role for my team. Lenna? That is quite strong statement you got there good sir lol xD

18. Vash426

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to WoL. I been saving my summon tickets and lapis just for him. I also look forward to the others on the banner but he is my main goal.

Jet Stingren likes this.
  19. Vash426

Only down side to rolling for WoL is that he is like Chizuru. He is a 4* and 5* only. So odds of getting him as a 4* is slim. Only way I got Chizuru was with a lot of rerolls. So unfortunately unless you are extremely lucky odds of getting WoL on pre-existing accounts is slim.

20. RyedeR

RyedeR Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Vaan, Kefka, Cecil, Artemios, Chizuru
    Getting WoL seems really good. In my current team tho, I think I don't have place for it. Still, it's a good thing to pull and keep for future use.