1. Looking for an easy collection of all unit reviews done on our forum, on one page?
    Check out the forums Unitdex!
  2. Looking for a quick reference to all the guides and tips that have been posted throughout the forum? Check through the guide index Here.
    If you can't find what you're looking for, use search or make a thread to ask!
  3. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Worse baby advice!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by David M Pollard, Jan 12, 2017.

1. David M Pollard

David M Pollard Member Supporter

I want to rant about this because it annoys me so much. So my wife & I have a 3 month old baby. We have gotten some good advice and some bad advice (like smoking weed while pregnant is good, which is not true based on research). Well my best friend's wife had has a 1 year old & thinks she knows it all. She contacts my wife randomly or talks to her when me and my bud hangs out. Giving my wife the absolute worse advice I could imagine. To paint a picture on who this woman is... we can't play cards against humanity because she can't read most of the words.... also a sever alcoholic. anyways, she advised my wife to drink while breastfeeding to increase milk flow (my wife didnt) because she did it, looking up shows a lot of negative effects. She advised when he was a new born to just let him cry and ignore him for 8 hours, even if he is hungry. She did that her daughter, which we looked up and it causes a multitude of issues, short term and long term. This is just a small tip of the iceberg. She recently contacted my wife and said " don't get mad but you are spoiling him, you shouldn't give him much attention and we are holding him back" to paraphrase. That irratates me because I mean our son is excelling past his age goals by months. I worry about their daughter because when she was at our house she was ignored and just banged her forehead on the nearest solid objects (like table edges) and we are told to just ignore her and she does it all the time..... no thank you but I won't take any of your advice! I feel bad for the child. It's not her fault but man its annoying to me for her to judge us on our parenting and shove her ways down our throats when it's the worse advice in the world. She even told us that the pediatrician doesn't know what they are talking about. Wtf they trained and studied children. Sorry for the long rant but I am just irratated.

2. Onejah

Onejah Well-Known Member Supporter

Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Lightning, Tidus
    Wall of text !

Advices from people ( other than very close familly ) are to take with a grain of salt as, most of the time, they are giving advices they wouldn't/didn't follow themselves for obvious reasons... :)

David M Pollard likes this.
  3. pdark

pdark Member

Global ID:
    605 048 728
    Leads:
    ExDeath, Chizuru
    Hi David,

I understand what you're going through bro. Here in another part of the world, that most feared person is called the "mother-in-law". Different character as your wife's friend, but same type of personality - the (self assuming) know-it-all, dispensing (usually outdated) advices based on their own experiences, and the most annoying part of trying to impose their non-PD approved "knowledge" on us. Granted, not all are like that, but ultimately we parents should have the final say in everything concerning our child cos... it's our child! No other reason can overwrite this!

Stay strong and do what's best for your baby son. Enjoy the moment and savor every milestone reached as they grow really really fast... :)

PS I have a 14 month old daughter.

4. David M Pollard

Thanks, I understand about taking advice with a grain of salt but it's all the time. Non stop. -.- I don't hang out with my best friend much because of her. I really should just tell him, I know he would understand but I fear she might put a knife in between our friendship or cause trouble in his relationship if I said anything. We are so close as friends, she thought me and him were secret gay lovers lol legitimately. So I don't think I would lose him as a bud but I don't want to cause headache. I just wanted to let out my irritation. Thanks for reading it though.

5. Syuri

Syuri Active Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Oh hey, your baby boy is phoenix right (iirc).. how is he doing? ^_^
    I believe you and your wife will do the best to raise him :) stay strong ::up::

6. David M Pollard

He is doing fine, just fed him actually. Thanks for asking. He is doing great and waiting till next week for his next check up. Pretty excited for it, since I am the only one who works, my wife stays home with him and I come home to spend most of my free time playing and teaching him ( other than some ffbe but I mainly play at work ;) ) I want to see how well we actually did on raising him on a physical and mental stand point.

Syuri likes this.
  7. TrollPrinceDarren

TrollPrinceDarren Member

okay so as a father of a 5 year old I can say the worst baby advice by far is to have one. <3 I'm a dad so I'm allowed to make bad jokes its in the dad handbook anywayyyyyyyy.
    True facts- there are 30% more stupid people in the world rather than smart. Meaning? Don't listen to people bro. First off never do drugs or alcohol while breast feeding and report that woman to human services. Second as long as you think you are doing the right thing guess what... you probably are. (unless you are one of the dumb ones <3) but seriously my kid was leap years ahead of other babys when It came to talking but walking whole nother ball game but we didn't judge him off of other babys progress every kid is different everyone does things at there own pace and seriously unless its a lil over 3 months past when he should be doing something its no big deal. Just show your child love and resist the urge to rage quit from lack of sleep. And remember drug addicts and alcoholics are not someone you want to take advice from... just saying
    TACOSSSSSSSSSS

8. David M Pollard

congrats on your 5 year old! Well my wife doesn't work and I help where I can so sleep isn't a problem lol. I just wanted to let out my irratation somewhere before I let it out on her xD
    The only issue I have with my son is that he out grew all his clothes and is starting to out grow his 1 year old clothes now too lol. Also teething is happening now.....spent over a 100 bucks on teething supplies and all he wants is a finger.

9. Galuf the Dwarf

Galuf the Dwarf Member

My advice from being in and around somewhat similar circumstances: Cut your ties and put that hag behind you. You can try to stay in touch with your friend, but said woman sounds like a potential danger to your home. The bad advice is one red flag right there, practically a toxic friendship.

As far as how your child is doing, you sound on par, if not well ahead of the game. Keep it up, and as long as ypu're prepared for any bumps in the road as time passes, it should be smooth sailing.