1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

64bit update and damage cap

Discussion in 'General' started by JimmyL, Aug 2, 2019.

1. JimmyL

JimmyL Sleepless VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Double Zeno Double Sylvie
    Well from last update the game was supposed to be updated to 64bit right?

Why is the damage cap in raid still 2147483647 (2³²) which is the cap number for 32bit system.

Anyone has any clue about this? Any experts here?

2. Rhavia

Rhavia Ascended Member

Global ID:
    because they may have used a standard int type which is coded on 4bit and is architecture independant : it's the same for JAVA 32 or 64b)
    They should swich the type and use a "long" type coded on 8bit.

JimmyL likes this.
  3. leemanho

leemanho F2P RoD Owner VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    950 921 563
    Because that number is still stored in 4 bytes, it is expected and there is no need for Gumi to change that. You also don't want Gumi to change that, or other things, otherwise a lot of things will break

Wdiggums, Jman1115 and JimmyL like this.
  4. JimmyL

JimmyL Sleepless VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Double Zeno Double Sylvie
    That clears up, thanks

I was hoping to see how much damage I can actually make on raid and was surprised to see that 2.147 billion number show up for so many times, no matter how I switch my eq it never went higher then I searched the number to find out the 2³² thing lol ::ink::

5. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    Because gumpi is incompetent and probably doesn't even realize it can be changed.

6. Rhavia

Rhavia Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Well, if I remember, they had the same kind of issue in Diablo 3 (and also, so many long number displayed one over each other) so they swiched to number like 12m, 20M, 1B etc.
    This may be a suggestion for gumi ..

7. M!to

M!to ▀█▀ █ █▄ ▀█▀ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno / Elly
    Actually I think there is a hack that can be used to circumvent this limitation by creating for example 10 INT 4bits variables, and using the logic:

If (damage> = 2³²) stores the rest of the damage in variable2, and so on, in the end it turns everything into a 64bit platform (on the web) and returns a string with the total damage to the game ...

I don't know if this is possible, I only know how to program in php, but I imagined it

8. Sorwen

Sorwen VIP VIP

One billion, gajillion, fafillion, shabolubalu...

[​IMG]

9. Niakohr

Niakohr Ascended Member

Global ID:
    As leemanho said, you would never want to make a sweeping change like that or all kinds of things will break. I'm in software development management and the pros just don't match the cons.

2.1B was a limit the development team chose, they were not limited by 32/64 bit constraints. There's nothing that keeps you from using a 64-bit long long integer in a 32-bit environment. The part that surprises me a bit is that they used signed integer values. Damage amounts will never go negative, so they could have easily used unsigned integers, which would double the maximum value and have it go up to 4.2B.