1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

A little help to beat Bomb Family without evasion

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Zilch, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Zilch

Zilch Wolf of the Walltext xD Spooky Valkyrie Æsir Chocobro VIP Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    Hey there!

Well, how do I start? :D First: Thanks to @Jackal90 and @Dantz for some tips to make my team surviving the attacks as well as finding the strategy to pull this off. Without their help I wouldn't have beaten it by now because there were some things I didn't think about because I never use them xD

This is not a real guide. It's not like "on turn 1 do this, on turn 2 do this, etc". It's more a help for people who don't have a cover tank with evasion possible OR for people who want to have a challenge beating it without evasion.
    It's the way I did it since I didn't want to ask for an evasion tank nor can I build one on my own. So here are some tips on how I build the team and how I used them to handle this trial.

It's very TMR heavy, so it's absolutely not for beginners, but you'll see.

Let's start with the units I used and their task:
    - Basch, for tanking physical hits
    - Cerius, enhanced Barfiraga+2 and Barblizzaga+2 for elemental resistance
    - LM Fina, healing/reraise/dispelga
    - OK, Fingersnap due to Odin and damage
    - OK, damage
    - Cloud, finisher

Okay, now we need to know how to build them.
    Most important: Fire/Ice resistance of 30% minimum on everybody, as well as much HP/DEF as possible for support/tank.

My builds for the three most important were:

Basch 6★
    Right hand: Frying Pan HP+15%, ATK+85
    Left hand: Ziedrich HP+15%, DEF+70, SPR+35
    Head: Grand Helm DEF+45, DEF+20%
    Body: Dragon Mail DEF+45, SPR+15
    Accessory 1: Soluna Band HP+20%, DEF+20%
    Accessory 2: Jake's Pirate Ring HP+25%, DEF+20, SPR+20
    Materia 1: H Armor Arts HP+30%, DEF+30%
    Materia 2: Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%
    Materia 3: Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%
    Materia 4: Patriotic Recall HP+30%, DEF+20%
    Esper: Golem HP+117, MP+75, ATK+60, DEF+88, MAG+33, SPR+35

Onion Knight 6★
    Right hand: Onion Sword ATK+135
    Left hand: Aigaion Arm ATK+145
    Head: Frozen Crown HP+500, DEF+16, SPR+50
    Body: Crimson Slayer ATK+30%, DEF+52
    Accessory 1: Champion's Belt ATK+30, ATK+20%, DEF+30, DEF+20%
    Accessory 2: Champion's Belt ATK+30, ATK+20%, DEF+30, DEF+20%
    Materia 1: Martial Arts Mastery ATK+50%
    Materia 2: Adventurer V ATK+40%, DEF+40%, MAG+40%, SPR+40%
    Materia 3: Monk's Enlightenment ATK+40%, DEF+20%
    Materia 4: Demon Killer
    Esper: Odin HP+54, MP+39, ATK+62, DEF+42, MAG+20, SPR+22

Onion Knight 6★
    Right hand: Lohengrin ATK+109, MAG+37
    Left hand: Sasuke's Katana HP+10%, ATK+130, ATK+25% (IW :HP +10%, ATK +15%, ATK +10%)
    Head: Cat-ear Hood MAG+25, SPR+25
    Body: Force Armor+ DEF+57, SPR+17
    Accessory 1: Desch's Earring ATK+45
    Accessory 2: Desch's Earring ATK+45
    Materia 1: Dark Knight's Soul ATK+50%
    Materia 2: Katana Mastery ATK+50%
    Materia 3: Adventurer V ATK+40%, DEF+40%, MAG+40%, SPR+40%
    Materia 4: Sworn Six's Pride - Earth ATK+40%
    Esper: Diabolos HP+46, MP+61, ATK+16, DEF+24, MAG+54, SPR+32

Cloud was a friend unit, pure DMG, no resistances, Fry's needle as weapon.

LM Fina was build for high SPR and HP and full resistance against anything. She's a super strong unit for healing, but even with just 800 SPR she heals for like 10k which was more than enough. Her main purpose was dispelling and curaja, and refreshing reraise on Basch every now and then or when needed.

Cerius was build for best HP/DEF combination as well as 30% fire/ice resistance. She also had Aura Staff for Dispel. And she had my Ifrit on her.

You may ask these questions about the builds/units:

Why HP/DEF combination? Because IF Basch dies and don't cover after reraise some physical attacks can hit you. The pre-emptive strike hit my Cerius and she survived it with like 600 HP. Because of that I didn't have to raise her on turn 1, which is a good start.

Why Odin on OK? Because there will be turns where your OK can't do shit. As soon as the thunder bomb comes up you'll kill it. But if it's not up they just guard. In these cases I used Cerius for dispel on momma bomb, and OK used Fingersnap on daddy bomb. That way Fina was free for healing and reraise.

Who broke? Basch. Basch has a good enough break to handle them.

Now the basic strategy:
    It's pretty simple to be honest:

Basch is covering physical attacks. He CAN survive when he's guarding or the bombs are broken. The bombs have a simple rotation - one turn AoE, one turn ST attacks. He can survive ST attacks without guarding, but the AoE just with guarding and sometimes even then he can die. So on turn 1 he starts with his cover. They do ST attacks. Then he guards. They do AoE attacks. Then he uses his cover again. It doesn't matter that it's up for three turns - you refresh it every second turn. Because: if they do an AoE attack and you needed to cover before, he's not guarding and can die easily. He will be reraised but it CAN happen that he stops guarding and then - boom, have fun to recover from that.

Cerius - every three turns refreshing the 100% resistance buff, in between helping with dispelling or casting Protectga or healing with Heart of Light +2 if you have it. Nothing more.

OK with Odin - dispelling, when the thunder bomb is up killing it

OK with Diabolos - Guarding, when the thunder bomb is up killig it

Cloud - guarding, when the fire bomb is up killing it

Fina - You cast reraise on Basch and heal. If he dies and gets reraised but has like full health or almost full health you cast reraise and dispelga.

Make sure OKs chain to get LB crysts and to fill your Esper gauge.

That's pretty much all. Keep your resistance buffs up, keep the rotation of your tank, keep fina healing/reraise/dispelling, keep OKs/Cloud killing the little ones.

If you have Cloud LB up and Esper Gauge as well it's time to shine. For that turn you'll do the following:
    - Fina is dispelling the enemy
    - Basch is breaking DEF/SPR
    - OKs are chaining daddy bomb
    - Cerius is casting Ifrit because you need to cast an Esper and you can finish your OK chains with it
    - Cloud LB the mom bomb

Done. All missions.

You may need some more runs to get this pulled off, but I had fun trying out and getting it done. The most important thing I learned was keeping Basch rotation. He survives 90% of the AoE attacks while guarding, and survived almost 100% the ST attacks without guarding.

You can also get something like Cowered Courage (Barusa TMR) on Cerius so she can cast damage mitigation every now and then like before AoE attacks are coming. I had it on mine but never used it xD

Welp, you can try if you want to. That's how I've beaten the bomb family and it was a lot of fun :)

2. Masvroh

Masvroh Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Onion Knight, Noctis
    So which one that should be killed first, the raging mama or the icy papa?

Iirc, if we kill the mama bomb, the father will go nuts and uses more magic attacks than before .. Mainly ice elements. And if we kill the father bomb first, the mother ofc will go rampage and uses more physical attacks, more actions mean the team will suffer more. Not sure which one is more preferable for the tank.
    ::thonk::

3. Zilch

Zilch Wolf of the Walltext xD Spooky Valkyrie Æsir Chocobro VIP Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    I just did both in one turn. I didn't have had little ones up, so I killed momma bomb with Cloud LB and poppa bomb with OK chain + Esper. But OK chain was totally enough to kill him anyways.

Edit: If daddy is doing more magic it doesn't matter. If you have 30% ice resistance on your team and cast barblizzaga +2 you have 130% in total. Even with the 30% imperil you don't get any damage by ice attacks.

Jackal90 and Masvroh like this.
  4. Jackal90

Jackal90 I am, the M00gle l0rd. Valkyrie Æsir Spooky VIP Spooky Supporter

Global ID:

This.
    Tank the magic as it's far easier.

Tanking raised and additional physical damage in this fight really isn't ideal.
    I've managed to use Charlotte to tank, but she needs close to BiS and support to keep her from dying.
    Even then, there are a few close calls (under 1k HP)

Zilch likes this.
  5. Rynal

Rynal CG Charlotte plzzz VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Awakened Rain
    For no evade I've done it with Vagrant Rain, HTLid, Barusa, Cerius, Shiva Eiko(can be Garnet) and Friend DL (no cloud friend leads now).. I obviously missed the LB mission but DL can simply be swapped with ice cloud riend and swap the Eiko/Garnet summon to Ifrit (also change VRain and HTLid's weapon element to fire or ice).. No reraise as well

Zilch likes this.
  6. Zilch

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    Did you record it?

7. Rynal

Rynal CG Charlotte plzzz VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Awakened Rain
    Sadly not

8. Zilch

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Whatever is needed
    But still Barusa is king :D

9. Lansote

Lansote Ascended Member Spooky Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    whatever is bonus unit for King Mog
    NotMax
    Mama had nothing on lms thoug he dont cover so thats drag

Still trying to no5s clear this shit and its hard