1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

A Suggestion About Maintenance

Discussion in 'General' started by JMC, Jul 11, 2019.

1. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    Look, I get maintenance of an app is standard, and I appreciate that Gumi does this around the same time on a weekly basis.

However, ever since I joined the game back in March 2018, I've seen maybe a handful of times where the maintenance HASN'T goes over by one or two hours what they had planned. Normally, I wake up at 6AM ET, and by then the maintenance is usually supposed to be done so I can start my day with my daily logins. But there's been a number of times lately, increasingly so, where the maintenance is extended to where I'm already at work by the time it's done. It kinda sucks to have an expectation set only to be disappointed like that.

Gumi, if I can be constructive for a moment, maybe plan your maintenance periods for six hours of time instead of four, since that seems to be most common at this point. That way, on the off chance something DOES go wrong, you have the time to fix it, and if it's done early, hey, early reboot of the game!

(Plus, from a business standpoint, those compensations you've been having to do for a while now? Much as the general public likes to see them, I'd bet dollars to lapis those would go down significantly as an indirect result and garner you a bit more good will in tradeoff...just a thought.)

21er likes this.
  2. Matri

Matri "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    477 960 603
    I said this a year ago lol. They set thenselves up for failure.

3. Rhavia

Rhavia Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Well, IMO a software that require 4 or 6h downtime for customer, means the app is huge or something is very wrong with the app, and investing a litle money to correct some deep misconception may help a lot.

seeing the amount of money they earn with this game, I dont think it's a big investment ...
    Also a very well known method is to use a test server so they can test the deployment 1st on this server and see if there is an issue or not.
    And again, it seems that they're not testing a lot of things.

So to be simple we can assume that GUMI do exactly everything that should NOT be done with an application in terms of update/maintenance.

4. Carnefix

Carnefix Taking a break from News Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Zeno, Esther, Circe, Cid
    Every extended maint gives us more freebies as compensation. I would like to get one every week. ::ink::

DarkCobra likes this.
  5. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    Yeah, but from a business standpoint, that can't be a healthy way to look at things. Yeah, freebies are good as a consumer, but after a while I would rather the devs take their time on the updates and the program work the way it's supposed to as planned as opposed to having to be cosntantly compensated for errors as a result of the updates that, had more effective planning been done, the end user wouldn't even have noticed.

6. MasterBlaster1

MasterBlaster1 Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    They should implement this as a players choice ticket lol.

What I mean is - extend the maintenance by 2 hours regardless so they can get the bugs out and not have to do an extension.

Then have a 50 lapis gift post every maintenance.

They get time and the players get a freebie to compensate for the “unforeseen circumstances” compensation.

7. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    Now see, that's a compromise I can get behind.

8. DarkCobra

DarkCobra King in the North Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

They need to update the compensation. I say standard should be 1 hr = 100 lapis and 10 energy potions. So 2h we should get 200 lapis and 20 energy potions.

9. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    So if my initial post's remarks about the update issues didn't prove my point...it's 9:30AM where I'm at now. The original maintenance was scheduled to end 6AM my time, when I normally wake up. It extended to 7AM, when I'm starting my shift at work, "due to unforeseen circumstances."

Honestly, as often as this has been happening, they shouldn't be unforeseen any longer.

My wireless service is so crap at my job (I have no access to wi-fi here), I just finished the 141 MB download for the game...ONLY TO BE HIT WITH ANOTHER 414MB ONE RIGHT AFTER! At the rate this has been downloading, it's likely going to be 1PM before this even finishes, which means, if you combine the two raids currently going on, I'm missing out on at least twelve raids I could have done between 6AM and now.

To put this into context, I have pretty decent wi-fi at home, so had the maintenance completed on time like it was supposed to, I'd have already gotten my log-in bonuses, done at least ten raids (I had just ranked up before I went to bed, so I still had some bonus energy to use), and had enough gil to 7* two of my units before now.

THIS is why I am so vocal about how these maintenance periods are handled. Compensation or not, even a one-hour extension can throw your entire rhythm off. It may seem inconsequential to the whales, but as a F2Per, if my rhythm is off for even an hour, my progress falls behind significantly. Sooner or later, the amount of "unforeseen circumstances" needs to start getting addressed, either by properly testing the updates before they're rolled out or extending the maintenance ahead of time. Set my expectations properly, and I won't have any issues. It's when you consistently change the bar after it's been set that I have to start asking questions; this isn't limbo, after all.

So who do I need to talk to about getting some recompense for this? Because whatever compensation was offered for the extension, honestly, it ain't gonna be enough for me this time around.

10. DarkCobra

DarkCobra King in the North Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

It is just one raid right now right? It'll end tonight and we get another one. I mean, Elena is a hybrid raid that doesn't use orb. But I get what you mean. They even cheap us out on the compensation this time without any energy pots. I hate maintenance morning on the days I work because if it runs into when I'm driving to work then I have to do the update using a hotspot for my alt account and then rushing into work to do some early morning stuff while trying to get ffbe going and not wasting orbs/energy/expeditions.

11. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    I'm factoring that it takes energy to do Elena's raid, and yes, the one ends tonight, but I still, between the two raid coin events, could have either 7*'ed two more characters or started to ability awaken my HT Lid by now. In this kind of game, a few hours can make a lot of difference.

12. MeeTum

MeeTum Well-Known Member

They used to extend the ma to 1-3 hours for a long periods of time last year.

They got a lot better after huge complain from the community.

13. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    It's still a matter of setting expectations. When I've gotten to a point where I have to mentally add an hour onto whatever time they give for maintenance just to make sure I plan ahead (and even that isn't a reliable failsafe) because I no longer trust the company making the promises to follow through on it, that's a bad look for the overall product.

14. DarkCobra

Ok I figured that. Anything that isn’t going to require me using orb or energy so it doesn’t max out doesn’t matter to me. Can always be done. But I do hate that you are missing out on your orbs.

15. JMC

JMC Active Member

Global ID:
    Thanks, DC. At least someone seems to understand my issue here.

DarkCobra likes this.