1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Beating Malboro WITHOUT the Spark Chain trick?

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Prime_beef, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Prime_beef

Prime_beef New Member

Is it possible? Every Youtube guide - including the late great Evil Laughte01's (come back to us during the new trials, we need your n33t strategies), seem to utilize the spark chain bug delays which we can no longer do. Literally even the budget teams in the guides spark every single time.

So far i've tried multiple times using varied strategies. I've tried having 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 buffer and 3x nukers to the safer strategy of 2x tanks, 1 healer, 1 support and 2x DPS.

So far my closest and safest strategy was using VoE to provoke tank, Basch to debuff and Magic tank, Ramza / Soliel for survivability / buff support, and 2x eTT and CG Fina. I was only able to get the main Malboro down to about 90 percent before everything fell apart. I simply would NOT be able to perfect chain with my eTTs to take out the little Malboro's in time to stop the Devour move. And once Devour happened, it was basically patch work healing, reviving and damage until the next devour where i'd get wiped.

Anyone have any useful strategies? I have almost every unit. I was using a 1100 friend eTT and my own 1000 eTT. Basch and VoE each have about 10000 HP, with Basch having about 500 SPR / DEF.

I just got an Angel Earring so i'm thinking of swapping in Cagnazzo and eMYSTIA for my tanks, and just keeping CG Fina and the two eTTs for my next run, but then i'd be lacking in debuffs and might have to bring in Soliel and I don't know if her debuff would be good enough. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading this wall of text gents.

2. Scoustar

Scoustar Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1k DW eTidus
    <100
    But... you can still spark chain.

What's your device?

superwave likes this.
  3. Shinobi_SAC

Shinobi_SAC "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    959 392 578
    Leads:
    Acc 1: OK Acc2: Basch
    I've got a lot of decent units, but didn't use spark chains either way. Mystea with 100% dark resist as magic tank, friend wilhelm as phys tank, ayaka as healer/dispel, 2x OK with fire weapons as chainers, and ang as finisher. limit breaks provided buffs and debuffs

4. Veralian

Veralian "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    OK 1210 ATK and Trance Terra 1122 MAG
    Here you go, no 5* base, no TMs and no spark

PierreCroissant and Carnefix like this.
  5. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl THE STRONGEST VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    If you want to Spark, you can use emulators.
    Personally, I think I'll be tackling Malboro in an emulator, 'cause I'm afraid my cellphone won't cut it.
    I gotta beat Aigaion first, though... -.-

6. Prime_beef

Prime_beef New Member

An Android G5

7. nocturn

nocturn Ascended Member

Spark chain isn't a trick

8. Scoustar

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1k DW eTidus
    <100
    You can still use magnification gesture AFAIK.

You know that one? Turn it on in Settings, etc?

9. aa25

aa25 Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/OK
    My understand is the spark chain is only there for reaching the max chain modifier of 4x. If you can't spark chain (like me), you can always roll with elemental chain which reach the max chain modifier around the same hit as spark chain. (I beat the trial with Barb's chain without actually doing any spark chain.)

10. Bitzpleze

Bitzpleze "Hall of Fame" Member

Shantotto and barbariccia are among the easiest to chain. No spark chaining needed. Although you do need the 5* base unit.

11. TheRunawayGirl

TheRunawayGirl THE STRONGEST VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Anything you might desire
    And making sure Shantotto survives... -.-
    5* max unit, remember? She's squishy af

12. Bitzpleze

Well you could use your own Shantotto x2 with a friend finisher. With a provoke + AoE magic tank active, your team won't get touched. Barbariccia is strong enough to use the one plus a friends, no finisher needed.

13. Prime_beef

Prime_beef New Member

Hmm great video. That Cag and Mystea tank combo was pretty beastly and TMR heavy. Never knew that Barb was so powerful, i think she capped her own chain with Aeroja?...looks like the friend Barb had the Malboro Whip on her with the plant killer on it too. Also, it looks like at the very end the user spark chained the barb and shantotto perfectly. I have a beastly barb friend and barb myself I could probably attempt this strat, although I will probably go with CG Fina over Rosa.

14. Prime_beef

Prime_beef New Member

Yeah Mystea using trit wall and clear veil seems boss for this trial tanking the magic. It just so happens with Diablos and the Angel Earring I can get her to full dark damage mitigation essentially her taking no damage. For her to be coving magic 100 percent of the time would Trit wall cover it? Or would I have to make her use gaurd on one of those turns? Also, would CG Fina cut it as a healer? Or do I need someone who can AOE mana regen and heal at the same time like rosa?

15. Prime_beef

Prime_beef New Member

Yeah I used to employ that one. It was nerfed during a maintenance about a month or so ago.

16. Bitzpleze

Well she still takes damage even after the dark element stuff. You need another unit to provoke the physical attacks.

17. Raine

Raine Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau
    I cleared the trial without spark chaining with eTT. I wouldn't even know how to do it. Just require a little bit of management and not killing the small guys too soon; Slowing down instead of hurrying up wanting to kill them ASAP. My team was 2 chainers (eTT), Ramza as bard, Basch as tank, Marie as supporter and Ayaka as healer.

18. Scoustar

Global ID:
    Leads:
    1k DW eTidus
    <100
    Hmmm... I'll borrow my mate's 'droid tomorrow/Weds and have a play.

19. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus TDH Ang eFry eTT Christine BSS
    Yeah, and the nerf was a bug and they fixed in the last patch. Try again, magnification works, it's at least one month that it works again, I don't remember exactly the day it was fixed. Re-tested now with the dummy with TT+Christine, 39 easy spark chain

20. Rabid Wombat

Rabid Wombat Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    OK,eTT,CG Fina,Wilhelm, Chow
    I actually had the problem of doing too much damage spark chaining with 2 eTT. Had just cleared bloody moon and glacial, so my TT was beefed up a bit more. Running 130%+ dark resist Chow for aoe, full evade eNoctis for provoke and debuff. Team members didn't take any damage at all.

Problem was if I debuffed the little guys with Noctis's 45% spr break, I would knock then down to anywhere between 5-11%, triggering a wipe or messing up my kill turn rotations.

Then I decided just to hit the big guy during his 2 turn debuff without using thunder flask, got the little ones down to about 45%, holding damage one turn while debuffing, then killing them on the 4th. but then I ended up taking Malboro down too fast and screwed up the transition.

Finally got him down though. Think I scared other people in my house with all my jumping around and shouting profanities.

Just keep at it and trying different combinations. You'll git-r-done.