1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Beating sol for beginers

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kaffie, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Kaffie

Kaffie Well-Known Member

Hello there if you are a new player like me, that has not spent money yet cause you are learning the game so you know how to spend, and you have after long and bloody battles finally reached sol on top of the land of crystals to get whooped really bad. Enough to look on a how-to guide. Then this is for you. If you have already spent enough to have 4 skills of +30% Att maxed out armor and weapons from trust... well you probably won't be reading it anyway cause you one shot the poor lass.
    So considering that you are new probably playing for 3 or 4 weeks and not spending much your best units, or among our best units if you got incredibly lucky with the coupons are probably Rain, Lasswell, and fina. Since they are free 6 star units. You may or may not have found better units, in case you did hopefully you have found some good gear for them too. if not you might want to level up those 3 units and the other story units to do the train the soul to give you some decent gear. If you already got better gear than that then just go on ahead. and skip this part. Compared to the fight with sol, getting past the training the sol trials is a piece of cake. but it does mean you need to level up your Sakura, probably (unless you were lucky enough to get a better version of her, and either of Nickol, lid or jake. if you have not leveled them up yet. don't despair, just pay 100 lapis and unlock the Cactuar dunes and get the level ups from there. 1 day should be enough and 100 lapis is less than what you ll pay if you try to kill sol with 4 stars or 5 stars gear.

Other easy to get items from the world that will make your life easier are:

1) The esper Carbuncle, she will boost your light resistance by 50%. Her summon also reflects spells for one round.... allowing you to survive one round
    2) Lustrous shield obtainable from the key quests will boost your light resistance by another 50% combined with carbuncle this will make a unit completely immune to sol's light damage which is 50% of his output. put that on your off healer, since fina will have her own gear and with a slight boost she ll be on 450 - 500 spirit already so she won't have trouble surviving.
    3) equip light shield skill also obtainable through the key quests, what your off healer can't use shields? this fixes it.
    4+5+6) Dragon armor and dragon shield, dragon helm while not making you immune to light damage they increase your resistance to lightning which is another damage source of sol.
    6) Germina's boots, available for turning in all keys in a region. Unless you have a better way to boost your hps this item will help you get over 3500 hps with an unmaxed unit that has around 200 spirit (which is the damage sol deals below 50%).
    7) spirit 10% recipe you can get that from chests, it will help you get some units to 200 spirit so they don't insta die.
    8) the 20% hp/ and spirit boost also from chests.
    9) Finally aura staff. again from the key quests if you bring lasswell along this is not necessary since he has fingersnap to do the same thing but if you want to bring someone else
    10) some elixirs, or turbo ether potions or equivalents, available from shops, or Colosseum. A fully gear fina will never run oom on level 100, but if you can't get there with both healers.... well you ll need those.
    11) raise items if things go south available in Colosseum.
    12) holy torch can be used to dispel. available with receipe and from shops in the world
    13) muscle belt can help getting some extra hps on a unit.
    14) arena rewards can help you enchance your units.
    15) Esper odin can give figersnap to the unit of your choise Eliminating the need to get Laswell.
    At this point of the game is probably hard to have a solo healer geared enough to heal 3500 damage aoe per turn and not run oom

The team and roles in the group.

1) Lasswell, this guy can be replaced by any well geared unit that can dispel magic or wield aura staff. His job is damage and fingersnap every 5 rounds however even if you get all his gear if you wait for lasswel to kill sol.... you ll wait for a long time, maybe past your physical lifetime.
    2) Rain, even though he is not here to do damage, rain is harder to replace than lasswel. His most needed skill is undermine which is a very strong debuff that harms all atributes, aside that he gets leadership which is also a very strong buff that will make Sol dispel it. While buffs not stuck here and you won't buff every turn, a single buffing unit is necessary you ll see later why. His role here is support, debuff, and buff, and give items if you need any. If you have a better unit for those things go ahead and replace him. Using units with single target debuffs can be more effective.
    3) fina Or any well-geared healer. Some of sols spells also proc her out of turn heal meaning you can start your turn in full health just with her. if you got a better healer, however, go ahead and change her.
    4) Insert random well geared white mage that can heal or a healer. or light warrior
    5) Insert well geared damage dealer. He deals damage that does not deal light, lightening or earth damage.
    6) Insert well geared damage dealer that does not deal lightening, light or earth damage.
    Units with immunity or the ability to heal from light damage work very well in this fight unless they cannot damage sol. Sol has heavy fire resistance if you intend to have rain help damage you might want to switch his weapon.
    what not to bring:
    Buffers, Buffs will be dispelled every start of the turn doing nothing really. you still need one buff somewhere in the group but don't get a dedicated buffer. There are buffs that are not dispellable. Like Ramja's heroic song. But if sol cannot unbuff you he goes berserk mode early. is a trade off if buffed up you can survive 3500 aoe / turn and have more than 200 spirit on everyone go ahead and buff.
    Units with Diabolos esper attached since they will take 50% more damage from sol.
    There are two event items that prevent sol from dispeling... however if you got those you are probably not a noob and this guide won't help you.
    Units that have less than 3500 hps and less than 200 spirit, He has nice att or magic, but unless he can damage from beyond he won't help

The battle
    the battle starts at round one and sneaky sol gets the jump on you. Important to note here he goes first. so the end of the round displayed changes at the start of his turn so, on round 4 9 14 and every 5 rounds there after you know sol wont damage you next turn. because every 5th round sol Buffs himself
    Things to do or round 1 Dispel then Debuff sol, and damage, buffing is a waste of time. even regen buffs will go away
    Round 2 Damage heal to full health
    Round 3 Damage heal to full health
    Round 4 Buff, Don't bother debuffing you dispel next round.If you cant manage healing to full health is ok Buff>> healing in this turn
    Round 5 Top up health. Dispel Sol's buffs, debuff. sol on this round will dispel you, and will buff himself without attacking you. If you do not have a buff up that he deems threatening enough however instead of dispelling he will Debuff you as he did on round one.
    Repeat as appropriate.
    On 47% health sol increases his output.
    On 39%Health Soll heals himself (thankfully only once this does not repeat).
    Dirty Trick. Sol's Reflect buff works on his own spells. if you get him on 39% on a fifth round 10th round and so on do not dispel his reflect. as it will reflect his heal to your team :).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    aa25 likes this.
  2. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Great write-up!

A few more tips:

Dispel:
    • Holy Torch (item) is also an option.
    • Esper Odin has Fingersanap. Give it to anyone and he/she can replace Lasswell easily.
    Debuff Sol
    • Sol resists to DEF and SPR breaks and he does only magic attacks. You really need to debuff only his MAG.
    • Rain's Undermine debuffs only 30%. There are plenty of options who can do 40%+ debuff, especially if it is single target, single stat debuff.
    Equipments
    • There is also Dragon Helm which gives 20% fire/ice/lightning resistance.
    • Dragon Shield/Helm/Armor only give fire/ice/lightning resistance (no earth)
    HP
    • Muscle Belt gives 10% HP and is the only non-limited and easy-to-obtiain item, that I can think of, that gives you HP boost.
    • Upgrades from Muscle Belt is Domination Ring (+10% HP/MP/ATK/MAG) and HP +15% (from Bahamut Island)
    Esper
    • Don't use Diabolos. He gives you -50% light resistance.
    Edit: Add esper

Kaffie likes this.
  3. Kaffie

Kaffie Well-Known Member

Thanks missed those things

4. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

with slight boost she will have 400-500 spirit? WHA? in what 4-5 week universe? i cant even read beyond that

5. Kaffie

Kaffie Well-Known Member

^^I actually did that in the 3 rd week and quitted the game on my 8th week because i completed the story and found the griding boring. As i say earlier in the post do the fina's trial and get her specific gear i think her bow boost the totals spirit by a % as well. You will realize that getting to 400 spirit is not that hard. Especially since there is a gear tower now. Also the parts you dont read tell you were to get the gear... But w/e.

6. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

Yes big W/E
    i am 40y/o and in my LONG gaming experience i have NEVER seen bulshit like this. Its clearly and obviously made for massive money spending. I am out!

7. Kaffie

Kaffie Well-Known Member

Lets see fina base spi 155 if I recall. Been 4 months after all. 3 +10 and a +20 %spirit materials you can get from the vendors total 50%extra spirit 10%from the first arena or colosseum trinket you can get easy as go and 15%from her trinket 75% extra base spirit,, 40 base from the bow, 40 from her robe and 40 from the cat ears hat you can get from the chocombos 275 spirit *1,75=?475spirit. I did spend 100 FREE diamonds to level up my characters in the cactus dunes though...
    I am getting the feeling that you are expressing your work related stress on me so i feel that further waste of time with you is just that.

8. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

i got fina to 460 spirit , 40-60 resists and 70 light, because everyone is doing raid boss with lightning damage i didnt took any mvp, but a healer. And was doing 2% of the damage per turn it was hilarious, trial bosses were not that hard. And at his 40% hp he went berzerk and just wiped both healer and entire party, second healer was mvp with 80 light lotus fina with full team ress and she got wiped as well. Yeah its very well done..not. Its definitely made for whales mvp so u have to have 1k attack mvp in party and skip most of the battle by simply ripping the boss with high damage , non elemental. i couldnt find any magic breakers nor do i have big damage with my story setup and by going high resist its even worse. So , No, unless u have good MVP unit that can just high damage boss and break him, dont bother..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    What team/gear are you using ? Sol is not a difficult boss, but it does require you to set up your team properly (i.e. generic teams that you use for clearing main story event likely won't work). Also, having to set up your team specifically for bosses is a common practice to deal with other bosses down the line and trials.

10. Kaffie

Kaffie Well-Known Member

Nice to see you are stll playing aa25.

aa25 likes this.
  11. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    Good you see you too. Didn't know that you quit.

Just in case you want to come back to the dark path (LoL), there are a lot of new trials/bosses released pretty much every week now. A lot of fun things to do and strategies to work on. As far as I can tell, the game doesn't require or focus on the 'top' contents (yet), so there is no need to grind to keep up with anything. Progress at your own pace seems fine to me. (Speaking as someone who doesn't farm TMR and still rolling with a bunch of 4*-based units).

12. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

I have dark fina ,which is unavailable due to innate - light ress. I have fryevia which is useless because of her ice needle, chizuru which is useless because of her elemental daggers, lightning also useless ,elemental swords. healer and which leaves me with old gilgamesh with ~650attack who cant carry entire team because he doesnt have good % attack boost. Up to this point it was going fine, no issue with elite events either, d.fina + gilgamesh and fryevia were doing job just fine. Was hopping to get better units to replace others, but rng isnt with this one. Hence mvp's high attack persons are simply a must.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Aileen, Barbariccia, Lunera
    Fryevia should still be useful. Sol only ever has 50% resistance to elements other than light. What healer are you using? Do you have access to a magic tank? Do you have xon? Manufacted Nethecite? Celes? There are a lot of units and strategies you can consider. Borrowing a well-geared Fryevia to chain with your own can make it so that you can quickly take down his health. Borrowing a breaker like Heavenly Technician Lid can make his damage do much weaker, and make him so much softer too. Borrowing a good magic tank can make it so that you'll hardly receive damage from his magic attacks. Feel free to ask for help in these forums. There are even quite a few people here who are always lending out units geared to solo clear specific trials.

14. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

i tried, everyone and their grandmas are doing lightning raid boss,geared for lightning damage. There isnt a single 1k att mvp available that isnt geared for that boss. And thats where problem lies. If i could have ripped boss 30% per turn that wouldnt be much of a hustle, but doing it with 2% is ridiculous

15. aa25

aa25 VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Ayaka/Barb/eOlive
    In FFBE, it is more important to focus on survivability first, before worry about dealing dmg.

For Sol, I would first looking for someone who can break the boss' MAG. Then, look for someone who can dispel the boss (these two are pretty much covered by the first two bullets point in the OP). Then you need a healer, who is your healer ? (Depend on your mileage, you may need two healers in your team).

Then, let's look at dmg dealer. Chizuru is non-elemental dmg dealer. You can remove that knife and stick with non-elemental or dark element weapon instead. Lightning's Crushing Blow is also non-elemental. Just make sure not to put elemental weapons on her. Dark Fina's Dystopia is dark element, so it should work fine on Sol. Fryevia's FFB has a minimum of 50% ice imperil and Sol have 50% ice resistance, so it also works fine (granted less damage than what it should be, but still fine).

16. Draconia

Draconia Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Rinoa, DW Tidus
    I had such a hard time beating Sol a month ago until I realized idiot me put a holy weapon on Tidus...then i removed it and combined Tidus' LB with friend Onion knight water damage. Worked wonders

17. Enzo

Global ID:
    Leads:
    If you're looking for a specific friend unit, you need only ask. Like I said, there are tons of people in this forum willing to help newer players clear content. Check out the "Add Me Requests" section of the forum.

And for the record, I haven't seen a single Fryevia in my friends list equipped with a lightning weapon. Dual elemental builds are, more often than not, highly inefficient.

18. IceLancer

IceLancer New Member

Yeah, i will sit out till this raid event ends. Its complicated to harass people to change setup now when everyone is farming lightning boss just so i can do one Sol..lack of that event item to block dispel is another problem. But i believe i could handle it without buffs if only one 1k+ dps unit is with me
    --
    Just got me fayt..lucky rare turned rainbow so will awaken him and use instead of lightning. got 85% tmr from event ,his weapon is light tho

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  19. Enzo

Global ID:
    Leads:
    What unit are you using for dps? If your team can fit in 2 dps units, chaining with a strong friend can chip his health down in no time.

BTW, the people in this forum don't consider newer players asking for help or specific units harassment. And it's not difficult for many to change their friend unit, and still keep farming the raid.

20. Draconia

Draconia Active Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Rinoa, DW Tidus
    You can add me for my Tidus! He is at 1156 ATK. Gonna remove the light weapon from him.
    Currently I am in the phase of beating Machina of opression so I gave all of Tidus' stuff to my other atk unit but when you want to I can set him back up and you let me know when you are done. ID on the side, just tell me your username and when you want him you can pm me. Or I can set up my 950 MAG Dragonlord with +2 awk kafrizzle. You just need to keep his MP up even though he has some MP batteries (around 50 MP refresh per turn)
    Who else do you have again except Fina as the healer? I used my CG Fina and gonna return later for normal Fina when I feel like ot.