1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  3. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  4. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Bravery, Faith, & Fina Guide (And Owe)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SummonerBWM, Mar 29, 2020.

1. SummonerBWM

SummonerBWM VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    Heyo! This guide is to show how Bravery and Faith work in-game, how it decreases and increases, as well as special units who are very beneficial in this! Hopefully, this will help all of you plan your units well in reaching their max potential in all they do! BRV will stand for bravery and FTH stands for faith.

The Mechanics of BRV & Faith
    BRV

1. Increases the amount of damage dealt. Multiplier: ( 50 + Brave% )
    2. Increases the rate of activation for physical reaction/counter abilities.
    3. When Brave is less than 9, the character turns into a Chicken and the damage received is increased. Max BRV: 100; 97 outside of battle.
    4. If a unit is dead at the end of battle, they get a -2 to BRV(Does not apply in PvP, so do not struggle!)
    5. Picking up crystals in battle will increase BRV.

FTH

1. Increases the amount of damage/healing done with Magic (as the caster).

2. Increases the amount of damage/healing received by Magic (as the target).

3. Increases the rate of activation for magic reaction/counter abilities.

4. Increases the rate of success for status effects. Max FTH: 100 in-battle; 97 outside.
      Success Rate = [ ( Caster's Faith + Target's Faith) / 4 ]%
    5. Units with LOW FAITH will TAKE LESS magic damage from spells and effects. Casters attacking low faith targets will deal lower damage.
    6. Units with LOW FAITH will be DEBUFFED LESS OFTEN.
    7. Units with LOW FAITH will receive LOWER BUFF % from friendly buffs.
    8. Units with LOW FAITH will not trigger magic counter-attacks as often.
    9. Faith has a unique characteristic making it harder to increase. Only every 4th point (or 25% of overall gains) can be applied out of battle. So if you increase a target's faith by 4 in battle, they will have earned 1 point of Faith permanently.
    Barracks:

A unit placed in the unit will also have their BRV and FTH affected. Per hour, they will gain a certain amount of JP, a +1 to BRV and a -1 to FTH. The barracks can only raise and lower BRV and FTH 70/30 at max/min.

::notnina::The Power of Fina! (And Owe) ::notnina::

For those of you who have Fina, congratulations! You are well on your way! There are few abilities and units that are capable of increasing FTH permanently for units to carry it into the next battle. Fina is one of those units. As a White Mage and archer, her ability Cheer is very potent and honestly what makes her one of the best MRs. Cheer not only increase ATK and MAG with Protect temporarily but she also able to in battle able to boost a unit's FTH! There are no temporary limited turns on it and once the battle is over, it gets carried over! She can do this 3 times in battle, meaning 3 units can have this! Mages will adore her and tanks will want to protect her even more! This support ability alone is what makes her adorable and is valuable in any team comp.

P.S. Beylot's Cheer is not the same, so don't go taking him and throwing his Cheer thinking you will get the same result.

There is also Owe. He is similar to Fina but his ability is Meditate, which he AoE increase those around him their BRV, which is very powerful in and of itself. He is also a good DD as a Samurai and has other benefits such as AoE evasion boost the team as well. He too can do well in a fight.

Note: (Robb also carry Meditate immediately, making him another great unit to boost everyone's BRV).

These two units are going to be very useful in helping your favorite units reach their maximum potential and go beyond their limits. Plan ahead on how you use the barracks carefully, especially if you do not have Fina. The only other units in the future who can possibly increase BRV like Owe permanently are Ramza and Whisper, who are UR.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    BrigBriz, Seven, Poached and 4 others like this.
  2. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    Updated the section about FTH. Please read. Very crucial.

Urahara and PhaseShifter like this.
  3. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    362 169 161
    Leads:
    AKRAIN47
    125?
    I see, so question: Do you think tanks would want less FTH?

4. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    I'm just making it a personal rule for me to have unit's FTH between 50-73 with 73 at the max. This means that they can have a 42.5-43.25% (Depending on caster's FTH at 97-100) stronger, efficient buff. I'm going to struggle the most since my main units are in the late 80s and 90s in FTH... have to rely on the barracks completely. Tanks should just stay in the late 50s/early 60s for FTH for me.

Seven likes this.
  5. Arkadi

Arkadi Ludicrous Speed! VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Something relevant for current events
    What are the soft caps (out of battle) and hard caps (in battle) for FTH and BRV?
    When something (i.e. Y'shtola's movement skill) modifies CT (what's CT an acronym for anyways?) does it just bump their initiative on the left or does it do more than that?

Seven likes this.
  6. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    It is stated in BRV and FTH. IN-battle is 100 and out is 97.

CT means Charge time. Each unit has a CT gauge and CT is consumed when units take an action. Having high AGI helps make the CT gauge fill up quicker. Moving and taking an action use up CT the most while waiting in one spot use up CT the least. Y'shtola's Aethereal Manipulation helps increase her allies' CT.

Arkadi likes this.
  7. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I assume mages (White and Black) want max FTH all the time and BRV matters less but can be gotten as it doesn't hurt? And physical damage dealers want max BRV and somewhere in the middle or low FTH?

8. RavenZ

RavenZ Ascended Member

so getting brave is enough easy but how to get faith?

9. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fina's Cheer ability gives it.

10. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    NON ONONONONO NONO NO! BRV is just as important for mages! BRV is the only stat out of the two where it does not act as a double-edged sword. Mages can counter more when their BRV is high. BRV always matters but FTH a bit more. The only thing that is so difficult is the FTH part. It is SO difficult and requires A LOT of thinking. I'll give you different math scenarios with Fina buffing and Mont/Engel as a tank. Let's say Fina's FTH is 97 out-of-combat.

Tank Low FTH: 97 + 30= 127/4 = 31.25% success
    Tank "Average" FTH: 97 + 50=147/4=36.75% success
    Tank High FTH: 97 + 97= 194/4= 48.5% success

This is the success rate of a tank being able to get a buff from Fina. The main problem is that the game uses the same formula when enemies are using debuffs, so a tank with high FTH will end up having disadvantages, which makes healers end up casting Esuna more than they should be doing. This is dangerous for even mages and healers since they want the max healing and damage output possible, yet they give up their defense against the same magic. The only one who MAY be able to still get a pass on this is really Fina, since she has an SPR Up passive to help her defend against magic attacks more on top of her master ability giving her more magic resistance. Even so, it is dangerous to max out FTH and require players for themselves to know what is the max number they want for FTH themselves.

11. mingi

mingi New Member

what if caster unit with low faith use buff for himself what will happen?

12. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    So what would be your optimum balance on FTH for the following then?:
    Tank
    Healer
    M DPS
    P DPS
    And obviously BRV max for everyone then.

13. House of Anchors

House of Anchors Ascended Member Supporter

Meditation requires perfectly flat land (effect height: 0) and has a usage limit of 1 per battle (at least on Robb - I imagine Owe has the same limitations), making it a slow way to accumulate Bravery. This is still true at Meditation level 19. I raised Bravery for everyone in my party primarily through crystal hogging, focusing on one unit at a time.

Cheer is so nice on my alt account's Fina... but raising Faith is so slow at 1 unit per cast and 3 total casts. Still searching for Fina on my main. ::notnina::

14. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    The formula still applies. The caster is the target. Therefore, his/her FTH will be taken into account. If a caster with the lowest faith attempts to buff themselves: 30 + 30 = 60/4 = 15. A 15% chance of being successful. 50 + 50 = 100/4=25. 97 + 97= 194/4= 48.5.

Me personally, I made up my own rule of having mainly 47-73 FTH for the tank and physical DDs, 55-75 for magic DDs, and 60-80 for healers. I can't give you guys a rule. You need to come up with it yourselves, especially for raids and guild battles once they come out.

Robb and Owe's Meditation is at least AoE, so everyone is going to have an increase in BRV by 1+. Fina, however, has to follow a specific formula with her. Putting points into Cheer and Meditation increases and strengthens their effect and CT increase.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    RamzaWOTV and Arkadi like this.
  15. House of Anchors

The AoE is nice, as long as you choose the right battle arenas to use it in (area just needs to be flat), but it just seems like crystals are faster unless you're playing many battles a day and using Meditation each time. (In my case, I'm quite busy, so my game is on Auto much of the time.)

I suppose the story would be different if I were farming Brave on fresh units all the time, though.

16. Arkadi

Global ID:
    Leads:
    100 / 4 = 25 ::up::

That's fair. A good starting point at least.

17. SummonerBWM

Global ID:
    Leads:
    NV Ling, NV Terra
    Shadowlynx, Robb, and Owe have Meditation, so having 2 or 3 of them in a team to cast it permanently increases BRV and makes it go faster.

18. House of Anchors

Anyone can pick up crystals, though.

19. RamzaWOTV

RamzaWOTV Ascended Member

Grats on getting Fina from the event!

20. House of Anchors

Thanks! ::notnina:: No more pulling! EVER.