1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Cecil still relevant? Should I replace?

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Lastwindstrider, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:08 AM.

1. Lastwindstrider

Lastwindstrider New Member

Global ID:
    Hi and good evening my fellow adventurers! Can I ask for a few info regarding Cecil? Is he still relevant in the game as a beginner to mid game tanker? I awakened him at max and got his TMR. But if I ever got other 5 star tanks, should I replace him?

2. wardaddy

wardaddy Ascended Member Supporter

Are we talking the GL 3* base Cecil? If so, then literally any 5* tank will be insurmountably better

3. Lastwindstrider

Lastwindstrider New Member

Global ID:
    Yup the 3* cecil that I awakened to 6*

4. Arashi

Arashi Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena, [Event] x2, Circe, Zeno
    Same as above. You get a single 5* tank, replace Cecil. He's fine if you really have no other options, but once you get another option, that option is better.

IIRC, I don't think there's a single 3* still relevant today..

Fabell likes this.
  5. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    18x
    Cecil is looooooong past due.

he does nothing to prevent your team from dying for current standards.
    you have multiple 4* base tanks that will vastly overperform him such as Warrior of Light, Mystea, Shylt, Veritas of the Earth and a ton of others that came out after 7* meta was a thing, so I don't even know who they are at this point....

but, regardless, almost any tank in any rarity you can think of will easily outperform Cecil at everything, he´s just too old to be relevant at anything.

6. wardaddy

wardaddy Ascended Member Supporter

Definitely get a new tank lol

7. Kujo

Kujo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    The best units in every role are 5* base. But it takes a long time (or a lot of money) to get to the point where your entire roster is populated with 5* base units.

Unfortunately for you, Cecil doesn't really have any of the tools required for the tank role. Tanks either need provoke+evasion, provoke+mitigation, passive draw attacks (and the gear to get that to 100%), aoe magic cover, or aoe physical cover. (And which of those you need will vary by the fight you are in.) Cecil doesn't have any of these. (In my opinion, he was never a relevant tank. Protecting one random unit never really cut it.) There are some 4* tanks which can serve you or a while: Veritas of Earth/Warrior of Light for physical and Mystea/Shylt/Latyl for magical.

My personal progression was to get aoe chainers first (I used two Amelia) and did the weekly events using a friend unit as a finisher. I couldn't do more than the first few trials till I got my first 5* base tank (Basch). It took me about a 18 months to get enough 5* base units and the resources to equip them so that I could do everything in the game. It was a satisfyingly steady progression the entire time.

Muspel, Ferax, Macska and 2 others like this.
  8. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    I mean, if we are talking story, then it literally doesn't matter what you use as story is pretty easy.
    Trials on the other hand...no, Cecil will not cut it for anything beyond the basics

9. Talien

Talien Element resistl0rd VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    130/200 all resist SS Charlotte
    Unfortunately no, he's essentially trash now. Power creep has long since left him in the dust and nowadays only 7* tanks will do, with the possible exception of Liquid Metal Slime if you have the proper TMR/STMR to gear it.

10. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Zeno, KM, Rerun, Circe, Gladio
    That's not true, but you need to remember we didn't have AoE cover back then, so jumping in front of another unit was the closest thing to tanking we got. Also made great combo with Snow's autovoke. We had to wait for WoL 6* to finally have a better tank.

LurkerRamza and Kujo like this.
  11. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

No, not relevant at all sadly.

12. Kujo

Kujo Ascended Member

Global ID:
    I had better luck bringing an extra support or more damage. But I was also pretty far from the meta at the time.

13. Hollis

Hollis The heretic VIP

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    who knows?
    N/A
    CG Cecil is the top magic tank in jp.... ::rudecat10::::rudecat10:: is he still relevant? ::rudecat10::::rudecat10::

14. TheDude74

TheDude74 King of Figaro VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther
    For beginner stuff he is serviceable but as others said if you happen to pull a 5* tank immediately replace him - heck if you happen to get WoL he is an easy replace for Cecil until you get a 5* tank

15. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    2B, Esther, Rena, Randi
    No, Cecil is bad. He doesn't have active cover or provoke.

Even Libertus or Charlotte are better choices if we are talking about budget 3★ tanker.

16. Fabell

Fabell "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Elena,Sylvie,Zeno,SS Charlotte,Olberic
    Honestly, units released post-Cecil are going to be better tanks, if you haven't pulled any 5* units yet. 5* units in general are all applicable once they hit level 100; they are just missing some special cooldowns that make them tankier or more niche.

If you are looking solely for physical tanks, then you actually do have some options for non 5* tanks:

Leopold - takes more damage than Cecil but he can help build chains; can also provoke
    Warrior of Light - more options for gear, and can break (but his DEF is less than Cecil); can also provoke
    Libertus - he has entrust, which is amazing; his provoke has built-in mitigation which is very nice
    Charlotte - excellent MP battery kit skill, and she can heal with her LB
    Rasler - like Leopold, he can build chains; he also has heal spells (up to Curaga) like Cecil

In the end, you pick what you need. If you don't have any 5* physical cover tanks, don't despair as there are options depending on what is missing in your team. At this point, most of the max 6* tanks have had enhancements (except for Libertus and Leopold) so they stand on pretty much the same ground but have different kits.

17. Muspel

Muspel Well-Known Member

I would argue that the reason that Cecil was actually good back in the day wasn't because he was a tank, it was because he was a second healer in an era when the first healer couldn't top off the party on their own. It's just that it didn't occur to people to actually run a second healer back then, but Cecil kinda slipped by because people thought he was doing a different job.

The random deaths that would occur in that era were usually because the boss targeted one unit too many times with random basic attacks (without provoke tanks, these would just get scattered around the party), and Cecil did very little to help with that, because there was no guarantee that the one unit he tried to cover would be the same unit that the boss decided to shit on that turn.

Looking back at the history of FFBE, I think that people were really bad at teambuilding in general (and, for the record, I was no exception). We ran teams with 3+ damage dealers even on incredibly hard content and then gasped in surprise as the bosses wrecked us. And we brought that many DPS because it was a race to kill the boss before we ran out of MP... but we would have been better off just bringing Rosa instead, and using her LB to keep people going.

Looking back, I think that in an era before chainers and AoE cover tanks, the best possible budget team comp might have been 2x Snow + Rosa + Refia + someone with Full Break + a friend 5* base damage dealer (and just raising one Snow each turn because he'd probably die from provoking). But instead people were doing things like Chizuru x3 + Refia + Cecil + Vaan, and getting wrecked.

Kujo likes this.