1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Chat Box Suggestions

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestion Box' started by Memel0rd, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Mr "No LB Pots" Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Tidus | JP: Dark Veritas
    I've experienced a drop in chat activity over the last month. I am aware that many people, especially veterans, start to quit the game or just drop in general activity due to the hacks and the 7* introduction in JP.

However, if you have some suggestions regarding the chat box, please let me know :)

2. CrimCat

CrimCat Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Veritas of the Light
    I'll repeat my suggestion made in chat: Try to gather some experienced, reliable (and less aggressive) people to do some newcomer help stuff on a specific, recurring schedule. Help with team building (maybe something like 'post your available units here, then be around in chat at 5-7 PM on whatever day and we'll talk you through possible teams and what unit types to be on the lookout for to help you out'. Stuff like that.

Anything to get those that read these forums to notice the chat and stop in at least once. Then they might realize it's fun to nerdtalk and stick around.

3. Carnefix

Carnefix Novell0rd Staff Member Moderator German Moderator Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Yun, Nyx, Fry, OK, DV, Aileen, Tidus
    The same is possible in the Team Help section and we have many members helping out there.
    You can always report someone if there are problems with aggressive members and we will take care of it.

4. RikkuLover

RikkuLover "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Leads:
    Eileen
    Make me and salo mods for chat. ::rudecat14::

5. Vayhn

Vayhn "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    To be totally honest, after more than a year on this forum, I actually never posted anything on this chat box.

Not because of people or what people are posting, but mostly because I think it's pretty hard to follow up any kind of real discussion in my opinion, and because I tend to come to this place briefly so I look at a couple of posts, then go back to my IRL occupations.

6. Hinmo

Hinmo Well-Known Member Supporter

Global ID:
    we're here! just hiding and looking for everything u want to share with us! --- maybe ppl is just on vacation. :)

7. fffan

fffan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Mostly chainers
    What is the Chat Box? ::thonk::

8. Fella

Fella Well-Known Member Supporter

Well you could always ask for quick questions or opinions on units and stuff most will talk. If it weren't for chatbox I'd not be playing ffbe still to be honest I like this community sucks as we all come and go though, but yea guys should join chat it's not a bad place or very toxic.

Vayhn likes this.
  9. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Romancing Sage Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Chat box is full of problems, a lot of which makes it very hard to moderate. In sparse order, some of these "problems" to follow:

1) It's often off-topic (does not talk about FFBE-related things), FOR VERY LONG SESSIONS. Of course, it's totally fine for people not to talk about FFBE in chat. But pages and pages of chat dialogue records about things like cosplay, women's breasts and bum, Japanese anime and manga (unknown to everyone who is not a big fan of the field) etc. can make it VERY discouraging for users to feel comfortable talking in chat, not just for the nature of the topics discussed, but also because if someone tries to break the discussion throwing in some FFBE-related question, it often gets ignored or anyway it gets out of "sight" very soon (see the third point below).

2) Often time a lot of things are said in a semi-serious or joking tone, though their content or iterated usage can be disturbing, especially when paired with a terse or sassy attitude. I am referring to the use of words like "pleb", "ghei" but also to "joking comments" that can nonetheless be perceived as offensive or sexist (chat often times "jokingly" talks about women in a, let's say, infantile way?). I find these kinds of things close-to-impossible to moderate, both because some of these words are just used as "internet vernacular" and also because some of these terms and "jokes" are so commonly used that you'd have to moderate a huge proportion of the chat users.

3) What is written in chat is seen only for a few minutes, before it gets away from screen. This makes it VERY difficult for a moderator to spot any rule infringement (I am excluding reading chat box records, of course) but it also makes it difficult for people to "jump into" a topic.

In general, because of the above issues, I feel like chat is constitutionally pretty "savage". And, indeed, most people just stay out of it: we have 15k members, most members online at a time were 1.7k. We may have, I don't know, 3-400 "active members" (logging into the forum at least once a day)? Yet, chat usually has only around 60 members and the ones that actually participate to discussions aren't more than 10-15 at a time.

I myself couldn't handle chat for some time, especially at the beginning. I just ignored it. I think that's what most people do - and I can't blame them. I don't like chat many times but, as I said, I think there is really little we can do about it. I certainly strongly suggest people not to take chat too seriously and, if they just don't like what they see or how they are treated there, they really should just ignore it and just check the forum threads :) Unless, of course, people are obviously breaking forum rules, in which case they should be reported with a PM to us (together with a screenshot of the issue).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Fella likes this.
  10. xTeKt0n1c

xTeKt0n1c Chips ‘n’ Gravy VIP Supporter

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    ZERO LIKES FOR THAT SUGGESTION bwhaha

For suggestions yeah I suppose be friendlier to new players and dedicate more of an effort to helping them (Q&A sessions).

Also on FFRK we have interchangable emotes which week keep swapping around. ppl come to the chat to use them - some of them are from the FFRK sprites I took from the google drive off this website!

Also on FFRK website we thought of making podcasts about the current content..but we started it all too late so we don’t have a massive active follow base anymore haha. They would be a MASSIVE HIT here as it’s still active enough ... vets and mods and special guests talking about their experiences in the game that would be popular and ppl would listen to it and love it! It would also put voices to player names it’s fun!

Fella likes this.
  11. Arnatuile

Arnatuile Romancing Sage Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

theJanne, Carnefix and xTeKt0n1c like this.
  12. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    We are starting to use them for our FFRK chatbox. We had a member fix some of the sizes for some of them to remove some of the excess white borders. If you want to use some of them further edited I can ask wolf to arrange access to our forum imgur account where we store them (I have keys to imgur but I would check with wolf first before giving access). Or maybe @theJanne will remove some of the white from his awesome sprites! (Top work mate I love the sprites!)

@Arnatuile u beat me to it haha

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    theJanne likes this.
  13. Syuri

Syuri kupo?!! <3 VIP Supporter

i tried the chat box during first time joining.. ask here and there about the game including team help and some related event because i'm a noob..
    then gets ignore.. i tried again several times.. same thing happened.. i give up..

it feels like the chat box only for several people who constantly show up and talk among themselves imo.. and its hard for new member who not too good with english like me to suddenly join the convo and ask question..

i also remembered looonng time ago someone post in team help --> someone else suggest a bad team composition --> then some veteran comment something like : "you should ask in chat box so veteran people can help you" and this so called veteran doesn't even suggest any built in the OP thread.. pfft.. its very discouraging for new player to active in chat box after receive some comment like that --> ask in chat box --> only to get ignore like me..

forgive me for cannot give suggestion, but i hope you can prevent something like this in the future for future new member.. and get the chat box back to active again..

cheer kupo!!

Fella and xTeKt0n1c like this.
  14. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Sorry to hear. If you know who did this to you I will e-slap them!

Syuri likes this.
  15. Fella

Fella Well-Known Member Supporter

Sadly that's true I've had experiences myself which is why when I'm there I try and help alot it sucks to beignored when you can't just look it up especially. I think maybe some more mods can honestly help, a couple of regulars could help tone down toxicity like arna said. I see how he says chat goes off topic alot but I think it's necessary sometimes to create friends and further experiences. But yes alotta inappropriate things can be toned down. Lastly to those who feel unwelcomed by the non ffbe chat it's ok to feel that way but just hop in sometimes and ask your questions it may be faster than threads, sorry if it goes bad.

Syuri likes this.
  16. theJanne

theJanne GIF Maker VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fry, OK, BSS, Yun, Tidus, Christine
    Thanks! Yeah I can do that too. Especially my older gifs I've made has that excessive white border (I didn't crop them then). So just tell me if the gif you want to use has that and I'll remove it :)

xTeKt0n1c likes this.
  17. xTeKt0n1c

Leads:
    N/A
    N/A
    Thanks! Well I wil leave that upto @Memel0rd and the mods to decide for this site as dont moderate here anymore! We are sorted for the NeoChi FFRK site wher I do moderate as we have our system setup. The ramza shout casting sprite is one of my favourites!

[​IMG]

theJanne likes this.
  18. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Mr "No LB Pots" Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    If you can, could you make a thread about it? I want to know what people want and since you are the creator, might as well take the credit

Carnefix likes this.
  19. Carnefix

Carnefix Novell0rd Staff Member Moderator German Moderator Arena Runner-Up VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Yun, Nyx, Fry, OK, DV, Aileen, Tidus
  20. Memel0rd

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads: