1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Chimaera? Meet Physalis: Casting Call & Team Building Discussion

Discussion in 'Team Help' started by Sartre, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Sartre

Sartre Murder Bunny Enthusiast VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther, Nanaki, Physalis, Moog
    S
    Alright, this is the moment that Physalis has been waiting for! The first real trial for out best girl. This one is going to be demanding, and I'm not expecting it to be easy. I fully expect to be rerunning this trial all weekend before I'm confident enough to get a good clear video. But we don't know til we get in there and start breaking sh!t :)

Here's what I'm rockin' up to the party with:
    Physalis -Neo Vision-.png
    *note: that +4% MAG buff is to account for the extra mag nodes and ST reflection boosts on my Ifrit to make up for the lower MAG. Every pt of MAG counts here, so I'm thinking that 100 lapis to reset the board was worth it.

Based on the builder this does the most damage I can muster with what I have. Looks like two of these will be doing ~15% HP on her first burst Turn 2 with disease (10% SPR break), all her buffs, and the rod imperil in place. With that said any friend unit I take into this trial must have two rods!! Anything less is simply not going to cut it on this trial, I need the full 35% rod imperil for this one.

Physalis doesn't need anything special for survival, they shouldn't take any damage at all during the fight.

It's going to be a close one here, folks, I'm not gonna lie. Here's my rotation with some rough back-of-the-envelope damage calculations (taking avg rolls, rounding down on all damage dealt (%) just to be conservative). This should give you an idea of whether or not your Physalis is up to the task, and whether or not you'll be able to get the 15-turn clear.

Using two of my Physalis it looks something like this:
    Turn 1: [BS] Setup turn, 0 damage (Chimaera at 100% HP)
    The following turns include 35% rod imperil, and 75% magic beast killer buff from Rivera
    Turn 2: [BS] LB burst = 288million (Chimaera at 86% HP)
    Turn 3: [NM] LB burst = 202million (Chimaera at 77% HP)
    Turn 4: [NM] Magic Ice Shot + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 140million (Chimaera at 70%)
    The following turns only include a 50% beast killer buff from Rivera
    Turn 5: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 70million (Chimaera at 67%)
    Turn 6: [BS] Limit Shot + Moog Bullet + Strongest Ice Shot + Magic Ice Bullet = 70million (Chimaera at 64%)
    The following turns include 35% rod imperil, and 75% magic beast killer buff from Rivera
    Turn 7: [BS] Limit Burst = 288million (Chimaera at 50%)
    Turn 8: [NM] LB burst = 202 million (Chimaera at 41%)
    Turn 9: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + Magic Ice Bullet + 2x Strongest Ice Shot = 108million (Chimaera at 37%)
    Turn 10:[NM] Magic Ice Bullet + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 101million (Chimaera at 32%)
    Turn 11: [BS] Limit Shot + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 90million (Chimaera at 28%)
    Turn 12: [BS] Limit Burst = 288million (Chimaera at 14%)
    Turn 13: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 100million (Chimaera at 9%)
    Turn 14: [NM] Limit Burst = 202million (Chimaera at 0-1%)
    Turn 15: [NM] 4x Strongest Ice Shot = 90million (3-4% overkill)

As for the rest of the team, here's what I'm looking at:

Cecil - I'm considering something a little crazy here. Let Cecil die on magic turns. This may not work at all but I feel like it's worth a try. On physical turns he covers and goes into the light, then he can cast an SR chain, dual element (wind/light), then buff his wind/water and then reraise on himself. The dual element chain (with Setzer) will allow me to hit the 6x chain cap for Physalis's LB. Call me crazy, because I probably am. If this is a total failure, then I'll put Charlotte in and give her Gusty Attack instead.

Rivera - provoke/phys cover giver and magic beast killer buffer. Rivera could be the key to winning this thing when it's all said and done. Honestly such a great unit for this trial! Will be given either a Nethicite or Toxic Rain. He'll be applying the provoke and cover onto Relm, who I've made my evade and death resistant unit for this one.

Setzer - His field effect is first up, but after that he's T-casting his SR chain with a 60% all ailment attached. It's not guaranteed to inflict disease every time, but it's nice when it does :) I'll also give him nethicite as a backup.

Relm - A necessary unit for maximizing the damage on this one with her 35% rod imperil. Also a great MP battery and LB filler (that doesn't use MP, even better for that MP drain!) for Physalis as she'll need her gauge filled pretty much every turn. Built 100% evade and death resistant. Will get either Nethicite or Toxic Rain.

Charlotte - The safer choice for this trial. She won't have full resistance to both elements, but her mitigations should still make this much easier. I wish she had an SR chain in her kit, but she does have a BS chain (that costs 210MP!!) that I could d-cast with Rivera if I needed. I'll giver her Gusty Attack and a light weapon to dual-element chain with Setzer.

Not much else changes with this team, except that if I find it unmanageable to build chains for Physalis to cap then I might try swapping Rivera for Tyro. Tyro would then become my evade/provoke/cover unit. He would then be free to build chains with Setzer throughout the fight, but at the expense of losing that sweet magic beast killer buff.

We shall see.

Please let me know if you see any holes or issues in my team, as always these things are likely to change once we get in there and see what's up. Feel free to turn this thread into a discussion on strategies and team compositions, as well. I want all of us to take this trial down in 15 turns or less, so let's help each other out! ::up::

Let's show the world why Physalis is our Best Girl!*

*after Esther, ofc ::happy::

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    liddokun, MikePro, iBuko and 4 others like this.
  2. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    So..full dmg in both forms with lb dmg in bs form and demon killer, correct?

Sartre likes this.
  3. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    S
    You got it! aLL YoUr dAmaGE ArE bELoNg To uS ::kefka::

TheKillingJoke and Shr like this.
  4. Shr

Shr Arena Grand Champion Arena Grand Champion Spooky Arena Runner Up S3 VIP Supporter Monthly Arena Champ S2 Monthly Arena Champ S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    Ok, this is how all my dmg looks like, let me know if you need any change::joy::
    Physalis -Neo Vision- BS (3).png

TheKillingJoke and Sartre like this.
  5. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    S
    If you switch that GF extension for a Barbariccia TMR in the BS form I think it'll do slightly more damage. Also toss your Sora STMR on her normal form for that tasty 75% LB dmg. I plan on using her LB two turns in a row, so one will be in the normal form. This is gonna be a game of inches!

Shr likes this.
  6. Shr

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    I am redoing my build to add beast killer, i didn't know the boss was dual race

Sartre likes this.
  7. Shr

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    So this is my new planned build
    Physalis -Neo Vision- BS (4).png
    This is more balanced and even nf you have 200lb dmg

TheKillingJoke, RaagisEd and Sartre like this.
  8. Blizzaga

Blizzaga Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Good idea using rivera! I almost forgot about her.

Sartre likes this.
  9. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    S
    Nice! Leave it to you to have enough gear to actually fit in all that magic beast killer and still have higher MAG than mine ::happy::

Shr likes this.
  10. RamenRan

RamenRan Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Eat it while its hot
    Probably the best I could possibly go
    Magic killers sure are rare Zzz CE634DB8-4FAD-4830-99EA-C83F498B30B3.png

Sartre likes this.
  11. RaagisEd

RaagisEd "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    (No life for the purge? Not that your build needs it, but am i the only idiot who got that thing? ::down::)

Shr likes this.
  12. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Builder gives me this. Open to advice on the extra LB damage on normalshift. And i can swap (both if they stack?) the Doll for a Heliolite if MP is going to be a problem

Physalis -Neo Vision- (3).png

(Still need to up her LB level... probably today, surely before sunday)

Sartre likes this.
  13. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    S
    That materia is definitely a good investment for this trial, mate, nice one! If I had one of those I could switch my esper to Ifrit to get more magic beast killer. Damn, you're making me contemplate pulling on that stupid banner now ::happy:: I can't say I'd shift anything in your normal form since taking away any of those killers would likely end up in less overall damage since she'll be chaining most of the time in her normal form. The LB boost will be most important in her Brave Shift form. Do you have Selena's VC? Swapping that in might help with the LB dmg in both forms and it could free up that Sora STMR slot for Barb's TMR in your Brave Shift build.

EDIT: Oh and definitely swap dolls for Heliolite if you have it! Gonna need to reduce the MP cost on this one, big time!

RaagisEd likes this.
  14. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Wel don't ;) (actually you do you whatever you want, don't let me influence you is what i mean)

I do, i am afraid i fixed the VC on max MAG. (the LB damage is actually 305% on that build) I'll rebuild. (and i can also get Eldryn's for beast killer, but i don't think that helps, i'll check the difference in the the builder )

Okies ::nerd::

Sartre likes this.
  15. DrNooooo

DrNooooo Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Mines is fully geared (Yeah, I decided to ex 2 her today), got around 4.5K Mag in base form with 275% demon killer and 125% beast killer. Shift form has 5K mag, 300% demon and 125% beast killers.

She should be ready to rock this, did you need some levels in the LB? I probably won't be able to max it, but I can level it a bit. I plan on using this team:

NV Terra - Summons shiva for ice effect, does some finishing too, uses toxic rain
    Yuraisha - Mag Beast Killer, takes away elemental imperils, Mits, can also seal with net
    A. Shadow - Passive provoker, gives out mirage
    Faisy - Magic tank

liddokun and Sartre like this.
  16. Sartre

Global ID:
    Leads:
    S
    Alright, I've been tinkering in the builder some more after some of your inspiring builds! I managed to eek out some more damage, and found a way to max my demon killers even with Ifrit esper in the Brave Shift form and get my LB dmg maxed as well! The flat mag takes a hit, but ultimately it does more damage than my original build. I realized that the Heliolite isn't as vital in the Brave Shift form as it will be in the Normal form so I threw another Ravenheart on there to top off the demon killer when then allowed me to replace Witch's Cackle with The Astral's Protection to top off the LB dmg...sweet :cool:

Physalis -Neo Vision-.png

The builder shows this build doing ~150 million damage on the Brave Shift limit burst at max cap, and ~100 million on the limit burst the following turn. Quad-casting her chains does 60-80 million depending on if Magic Ice Bullet is in the set. This is with MAG/LB/Killer buffs, ice imperils, ice amps, rod imperil all in place, ofc.

So let's do some back-of-the-envelope calcs. Assuming an identical friend unit (using avg rolls and rounding down on all damage % just to be conservative)

Turn 1: [BS] Setup turn, 0 damage (Chimaera at 100% HP)
    Turn 2: [BS] LB burst = 275million (Chimaera at 87% HP)
    Turn 3: [NM] LB burst = 180million (Chimaera at 79% HP)
    Turn 4: [NM] Magic Ice Shot + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 120million (Chimaera at 74%)
    Turn 5: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 60million (Chimaera at 72%)
    Turn 6: [BS] Limit Shot + Moog Bullet + Strongest Ice Shot + Magic Ice Bullet = 70million (Chimaera at 69%)
    Turn 7: [BS] Limit Burst = 275million (Chimaera at 56%)
    Turn 8: [NM] LB burst = 180 million (Chimaera at 48%)
    Turn 9: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + Magic Ice Bullet + 2x Strongest Ice Shot = 80million (Chimaera at 44%)
    Turn 10:[NM] Magic Ice Bullet + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 90million (Chimaera at 40%)
    Turn 11: [BS] Limit Shot + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 80million (Chimaera at 36%)
    Turn 12: [BS] Limit Burst = 275million (Chimaera at 23%)
    Turn 13: [NM] Magic Gunner Type + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 90million (Chimaera at 19%)
    Turn 14: [NM] Magic Ice Bullet + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 120million (Chimaera at 14%)
    Turn 15: [NM] Magic Ice Bullet + 3x Strongest Ice Shot = 90million (Chimaera at 10%)

Wow, now I'm scared...I really hope I get a lot of good rolls on the damage variance because 10% HP is a lot to leave on the table by Turn 15. Ofc, this is a very rough estimate and I played it pretty conservative (I think) but damn, this is not going to be easy ::rudecat4::

I'm gonna need all of you buff OP friend units for this one, methinks ::joy::

Alright, well I'm going to bed, need to sleep on this ::rudecat2::

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    liddokun, Shr and RaagisEd like this.
  17. GL_Shane

GL_Shane Active Member

Global ID:
    This gives me 175 beast killer and 270 demon killer. Mag stat is lower in comparison but what would be more effective, higher mag or the higher killers?

Attached Files:

Sartre likes this.
  18. Shr

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Yes
    Gunso
    It doesn't, as long as you maintain an external lb buff, you always need to add all external buffs in the builder to get the optimal build. With a 150 lb buff, ibara's card win over Elena's. That extra mag is super good.

Sartre and RaagisEd like this.
  19. RaagisEd

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Varies
    Yay! math ::nerd::

Yeah this probably, MAG stat took a real dive. (i always try to build with all the buffs and imperils.) I don't have the correct SPR stats (where in the world do you get these?), but i compared the two card builds
    ibaras 41.635.248.743
    elenas 37.484.624.507
    Eldryns even less, don't even bother.

It's not that much of a difference and maybe it might be compensated a bit on the normalshift LB turns, but it looks like you need every extra pixel. (I will also see if i can EX+2 her, but i don't think i can make it... ah yes i can but it will cost me 3300 lapis too much ::down::)
    I'll check the two (or some more) builds with your rotations (turn 2-6) in mind.

Sartre and Shr like this.
  20. Pristan

Pristan "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Oh no... I'm guessing I'm too small a fish to help. :(

In BS, I'm at LB of 300, but I'm only getting a total killer of +290 (so +145 once you divide in half) and a MAG of 4505 compared to your +425 and 4476.
    Builder is using the same gear for the normal form down to the last piece.
    Add in that I have no MP use reduction in the kit although I could drop LB on both forms to 275 by using Quistis's SeeD Upperclassman instead of Trance Power.

Considering how tight you think this will be, I think I can't be the one you use... but just in case, I'm setting it up anyway. Maybe you can use me as a trial run while you iron out a bug in the process or something. I'm putting in Trance instead of SeeD unless you say otherwise. (SeeD's stats are in parentesis below.)

Physalis -Neo Vision-
    Right hand: Dark Gambanteinn++ MP+20%, DEF+15%, MAG+224, MAG+25% (IW :MAG/MP +20%, MAG +5%, DEF +15%)
    Left hand: Stardust Rod (FFBE) HP+15%, MP+20%, ATK+15, MAG+167, MAG+30% (IW :HP +15%, MAG +10%, MAG/MP +20%)
    Head: Wizard's Petasos MP+25, DEF+20, MAG+52, MAG+15%
    Body: Aerith's Clothes DEF+28, MAG+80, SPR+70
    Accessory 1: Ravenheart MP+10%, ATK+40, ATK+20%, DEF+10, MAG+40, MAG+20%, SPR+10
    Accessory 2: Grand Star ATK+25, DEF+25, MAG+25, SPR+25
    Materia 1: Honorable Rod Arts MAG+30%
    Materia 2: Guardian of Light (Sora) ATK+80%
    Materia 3: Trance Power MAG+40% (Note that SeeD Upperclassman would go here.)
    Materia 4: Witch's Cackle MAG+80%
    Vision Card: Search for the Esper MAG+100
    Esper: Diabolos HP+66, MP+76, ATK+31, DEF+44, MAG+68, SPR+43
    BS Form Total: HP:8924, MP:1003 (1093), ATK:611, DEF:411, MAG:4505, SPR:491 LB: 300 (275) Demon Killer: 270 Beast Killer: 20 (MP Reduction: 10%)
    Normal Form Total: HP:10322, MP:849 (933), ATK:715, DEF:437, MAG:5622, SPR:476 LB: 300 (275) Demon Killer: 245 Beast Killer: 20 (MP Reduction: 10%)

Sartre likes this.