1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Chinese New Year Banner Review by Memel0rd

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Memel0rd, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Randkin

Randkin Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    LMS, Randi , Swolbez, Circe, KEdgar
    @Seven They cannot be kept in permanent Quad cast. They're very specifically designed to require using an unlock, then another unlock.

TL;DR

Chow continues to be awesome, even more so than before. Yun gains some redemption but has weird equipment options. Ang has one month before Cid shows up. Qin and Bai Felicia (Hu Hu) are a gimmick showcase to get folks used to the idea of what comes later: units with Quad that have it more than once a blue moon, and a unit that can grant a chain skill to other units (Summer Citra + Folka), only Foltra does it on demand instead of requiring four goddamn turns to make it happen.

If you have a previous CNY unit, get your upgrade, 1/3 chance for it is pretty sweet. Otherwise, skipperooni.

2. Seven

Seven Totally Normal Member VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    None; this may be a hard case to crack
    Pretty sure they can...

Turn 1: x, SP
    Turn 2: x, TSP

Turn 3: CD, x, x, SP
    Turn 4: x, TSP, x, SP
    Turn 5: x, TSP, x, SP
    Turn 6: x, TSP, x, SP
    Turn 7: x, TSP, x, x

Repeat 3 - 7

Chaining to cap for TSP and SP, and then cap with TSP and SP. TSP enables Q Ability for next turn, SP enables TSP for next turn to enable Q ability for the following turn.

I don't have one so IDK, but since SP doesn't change into TSP, it should work.

3. Dajabec

Dajabec Ascended Member

You can't pull Qin on Ang's banner.

Seven likes this.
  4. Seven

Seven Totally Normal Member VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    None; this may be a hard case to crack
    on the banner for all CNY units you can

5. Haou

Haou Ascended Member

Leads:
    Zeno
    Special Arts - Fusion Barrage
    Use:
    Element Arts skills,
    White Tiger skills,
    Blood Phoenix skills,
    Special Arts - Saint's Boost,
    Special Arts - Ferocious Tiger Strike,
    Special Arts - Swift Phoenix Strike
    4 times in one turn.

You cannot Q-cast Saint's Arts - Spirit Palm nor Saint's Arts - True Spirit Palm.

Too bad, I'm also disappointed on this fact.

Randkin, Seven and AustinValentine like this.
  6. Dajabec

Dajabec Ascended Member

You can pull ang on qin's banner yes. Ang, how or yun are guaranteed on the old units banner. If he was trying to get ang, why pull on the new banner? Instead of a 1 in 3 chance of a rainbow being ang it would be a 1 in 100 chance.

Seven likes this.
  7. Sarutobi

Sarutobi Arena Runner Up S1 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TT, Hyoh, Barbie, 2B
    16X
    Unmatched Wizardry is wasted there as it only affects one handed weapons.

Seven likes this.
  8. jonathangariepy

jonathangariepy Ascended Member

Obviously, if the STMR were proccing trust ability it would be a whole other subject, but if the timing follows JP, by the time we get this buff Sophia will have been outdated for quite a while.

Sotoy_yuk and Seven like this.
  9. Andrik

Andrik Well-Known Member

Once again, fantastic reviews from a fantastic human being! But I almost choked on my water fron laughing at the awesome floating hedgehog at the end

Fenix808 and Seven like this.
  10. GraveInvitation

GraveInvitation Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Why did they add Recital- infront of all (except the cooldown) of Qin's moves if they weren't giving him dual cast for them? Is it possible they meant to but gave him dual cast chain moves instead? Useless. I like Qin. Got a soft spot for bards and get a kick out of his Mulan bit. This game handed me 2 Qin's basically without trying, but he's worse than Yan probably. I do think his tmr is a lil better than 8.5. Maybe just my obsession with GS Sakura, and now Sophia? Here's hoping his enhancements allow him to dual cast his songs. Even then he'd probably still only just be decent unless you make use of the self KO & Raise trick.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Seven likes this.
  11. Multil8or

Multil8or Ascended Member

Hello everyone,
    Thx for the review as always!
    I have no 7* finisher right now because I had not much luck on the materias for TDH. But now I have following possibilities: I have 4 NG Jake (so a STMR build is possible) or 1 7* Ang lvl 101. Like I said I have no TDH materia but 2 Cloud KH cloaks. Which finisher would do the better job without massive equipment setup. Should I lvl Ang and farm his TMR? I have no resources to go all in on new finisher, I concentrate on chaining DDs.
    Thx guyz!

12. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Active Member

I’m a 117 rank in MHW i haven’t played in a while but logged in the other day. I have a Long Sword Elementless Build. I would run whenever Nickthegreat0

13. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

Are bows still stupid strong in MHW? Back when I played, it’s all I used and I loved them!

14. Synsilliusarian

Synsilliusarian Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Hyoh
    Maaan I did a dumb yesterday. As soon as I read "It's godlike on him" I went ahead and spent my few remaining resources chasing two more Angs for his STMR. I got the third, but not the fourth. Talk about a waste of resources. And I was like: yeah, I'm saving for Akstar, but he's a bit more off and I'll collect more stuff by then. I completely forgot about the Xenogears I was saving for which ought to come soon, I guess.

* sighs *

Oh well...
    [​IMG]

15. Randkin

Randkin Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    LMS, Randi , Swolbez, Circe, KEdgar
    Xenogears and Akstar ought to be practically right on top of each other. Not worried about Ang anyway since Cid is next month and Regina not terribly long after.

Also, if you guys want to hit up Meme about MHW specifically, you're more likely to get a reply back through a direct PM.

16. Sotoy_yuk

Sotoy_yuk Ascended Member

Yes i know
    That's why i said a little boost in power. My point is there is some mage that can qin stmr or use instrument flair.
    Not ideal of course

17. Raindah

Raindah "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    esther, sophie, cid... ask for others
    I think its possible... instrumental flair grants 25%hp... 30/30 hp spr granted from weapon is like a materia already exist and we usually equip in supports and or tanks... apart from that is that high magic...
    If u want do u magic tdh in any mage with alot of bulk and without losing alot of magic this stmr is perfect for that

18. Memel0rd

Memel0rd Rizer is broken Staff Member Administrator Forum Manager VIP Supporter Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL: Esther | JP: Akstar
    Best solo weapon imo. Gap between e.g. Bow and Lance is immense.

Vamie likes this.
  19. Arekusu

Arekusu VIP VIP

I just remember playing and abusing the power shots and the crazy knockdowns you could repeatedly do. I haven’t logged in in forever but that was a sweet game. I was never in tune with the melee weapons as much, always ranged.

20. Cylian

Cylian Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Esther and Charlotte?
    168ish
    Ermm, ok, short story long ...

1. Pulled Ang around 31st Jan with FFUoC.
    2. Spammed all my 5* EX and 10+1 5* guaranteed tickets on the CNY banner. (See my point now?) By the way, I am musing over how my ingame friends feel when they saw my 8 rainbows all at once. ::rudecat15::
    2a. Got ... Qin, with my last 5* 10+1 ticket. ::rudecat9::
    3. Bought trust point EX 5* ticket out of desperation.
    4. Got two Great Expedition results, rare gamble with 1500 lapis first Step pull ... Rainbow~! ... Yun~! ::rudecat7::
    5. Pulled with CNY coins to track RNG streak. Throw the desperate EX 5*after seeing a decent streak ... Yun. ::rudecat7::

Such is Life. OK, hoarding whatever little resources for at least one full Step Up for Akstar. Ang will have to wait till next FFUoC, if that is even a thing next FF. ::rudecat1::