1. Be part of the new campaign rinny launched and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here.

2. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.

Deathbringer vs Excalibur

Discussion in 'Equipment & Abilities' started by Akroma, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Diablodestroyer

Diablodestroyer Well-Known Member

Since you are Orlandu then you have to go Excalibur. Once you find your twin with the same weapon you can go nuts

Annunaki likes this.
  2. Akroma

Akroma Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Firion
    I can only wish getting orlandu as i am only good for one 10+1 pull so i'm not really expecting obtaining him in his banner unless there is a miracle of course. That's why im going to invest for firion as he is a f2p friendly future proof unit. I'm thinking starting first with excalibur. We're already done with maxwell so i guess that's -1 holy immuned boss and the others are mostly dark resistant.

3. Wreckd

Wreckd Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Dark Knight Cecil
    Deathbringer is awesome on specific few units once they receive their enhancements. Eg. Dark Knight Cecil, Garland due to their enhanced ability to reduce dark resist. But we're far from that.

So Excalibur is the way to go for now and current gl content.

4. kurizu

kurizu Cuddle Cuddle <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Grim Lord Sakura | JP 2B
    144|99
    Gilgamesh isnt about dealing crazy damage, its about playing safe around seals, you dont really need that extra 50% man eater, you need to setup your party before next threshold anyway so you cant kill him too fast.

5. Scott Q

Scott Q Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeu, Luneth, Ling, and DKC.
    As regarding the next Gilgamesh (the boss) event, will there be another banner to increase rates for pulling Gilgamesh again?

6. Khidir

Khidir Well-Known Member

Pick what you like, personally I would choose Excalibur

7. project 86

project 86 VIP VIP

i feel they are more enemies immune to darkness then they are to holy you can always equip diabolos to your unit if you need man eater

8. Xshock

Xshock Active Member

It's depends on what ur opponent is. If ur opponent is human then db > exca coz db have man eater, have light resist > db , have dark resist > exca. If the opponent is not human and don't have resistance in both dark and light > tie. Db will useful in arena coz it's man eater , btw if you have orlandu or try to get him as all cost then prepare an exca for him.

9. Sustainer

Sustainer The Engineer VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis
    If one has their squad setup correctly and cover the 5 elements/staying alive every turn - what harm is there in dealing more damage with a specific unit reducing the overall time it takes to complete the encounter? Faster damage gives him less turns and less chance for RNGesus to kick in.

I do appreciate that Trial 6 is different from anything we have seen, but between rain using Ground Lava and DWing Light Weapon (Durandal and Rune Sword will both be available for free) and Air Knife (Gale key) - he covers Fire/Earth/Light/Wind - pick up say Trident(5th element here)/Death Bringer on your other damage unit, or use trident/water blade materia on any other unit, and focus on higher atk weapons on said damage unit.

I can wave my hands just as well as you can - but with more text.

10. kurizu

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    144|99
    >this sentence alone shows me that you rather wants to rants like a kid rather than wave your hands.

Also you dont need to cover all elements, Light/Winds/Fire is what you should worry most, I prefer to get light/wind + light/fire attackers rather than add additional deathbringer. The moment your light dealer dies < 30% it might as well means you can restart your run if you dont have additional source, until you want to protect every one of your unit against confuse (as long as he survives attacks itself). You can as well take your Deathbringer its up to you, but overall on this Trial Excalibur gives you more than Deathbringer, that fact wont change.

11. Sustainer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis
    No, I just love your constant dismissive posts with little to no substance to them. You also seem to keep missing Durandal/Rune Sword providing light element - both are free.

To each their own in retrospect - I have both, I find Deathbringer to be a more catch all weapon - taking an excalibur using unit into arena is also a frustrating endeavour. I also intend to use both for trial 6 - but using circular logic here - since damage doesn't matter, and Durandal/Rune Sword BOTH serve the Light damage perfectly - why not use those because they are free and stack a more viable arena/other humanoid boss weapon with Deathbringer - best of both worlds.

12. kurizu

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    144|99
    If you think so, you are not obligated to respond.

Also tell me, who is more dismissive here.... Both weapons have pros and cons, honestly you dont even need that man-eater on arena because even without any TM weapons you can easily reach arena dmg cap ?
    Deathbringer man-eaters is not as much used as you think, usually only 1 out 5 bossess are usually humans, most monsters have partial or full darkness resistance... Its good to have weapon with Man-eater but its not everything. Excalibur is just opposite, it doesnt bring any bonuses but rarely you see bossess with resistance to light. Both weapons are considered A ranks TM's, both have the exact same attack value. As far as I can see in this topic. Also Excalibur is more future proof weapon than Deathbringer, you have Orlandu, Agrias, Balthier who can debuff light heavily, you can give it to units that together with any mentioned above will exceel their damage while other than DKC with enchantments noone can really exploit dark elemental... Taking all that into consideration Excalibur is more future proof weapon than Deathbringer. Even if there are things like Durandal or Rune Blade and they can be used as you described, it wont change a fact that Excalibur is still the best light based weapon...

Last but lasts, choosing between TM depends of thread owner who have his own needs and his speed, as Sir Vincent wrote, sooner or later he will get both.

13. Sustainer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis
    You seem to enjoy straw men as well - points I had not discussed. You expressed damage not being a concern for Gilgamesh, I highlighted that Durandal/Rune Sword both deal light damage, and are free. You then proceed to toss up 1 out of 5 bosses are humanoid, which is fine, but that is 1 out of 5 bosses that you get a fantastic bonus on. Which ones specifically? Has nothing to do with the original conversation and is called a straw man.

I think we did a poll earlier for immunity:

Dark Immunity: Dark Siren/Ifrit, Halloween, Trial 9, Colo boss (hell rider?), Beasts Unleashed
    Light Immunity: Maxwell, Trial 9, Arena (Cecil)

For relevant content:

Trial 9 (Both are null) and Dark Siren/Ifrit are the only real relevent content we have on the horizon that will be dark immune - Cecil in Arena with light immunity is also a royal pain in the ass. Most of us are visiting Arena 2-34 times/day which is a lot more in the run of a day/month/week than Trial 7 - Dark Siren/Ifrit.

No one cares about hell rider/Halloween at the moment - some may have to revisit Maxwell - but I wouldn't put it as much of a concern.

Looking through events/bosses/etc over the next 5-6 months I am unsure of any other dark resistant/immune content. Perhaps you can enlighten me there with "real/challenging" content that will be outright immune to dark.

14. kurizu

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    144|99
    - Bahamut Raid, 100% resistant to dark, weakness to light.
    - DQ Collab, Dragonlord (last boss) resistant to dark and light.
    - Kefka, Dark and Light resistant, self debuff.
    - FFBE event 10th area bossess last boss, weakness to light.
    - FFX event , resistance to dark and light.
    - FFXII event Dr. Cid, 50% resistance to dark, 50% weakness to light. (he have companion with 100% light resistance.)
    - FFBE event2 10th area bossess last boss, weakness to light.
    - FFXI raid boss, 100% dark resistance.
    - FFT - Seraph ultima, 100% dark/light resistance.
    - FFBE event3 10th area bossess last boss, 50% weakness to light, 50% resistance to dark.
    - FF3 event -> 200% dark/light resistance, self debufff.

all about ELT levels or special stages.

Overal Light is anticipated while dark is resisted. Trials were already covered by you.

Sustainer likes this.
  15. Sustainer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis
    Appreciate the list sir!

16. Vulgar

Vulgar Ascended Member

Global ID:
    921 482 061
    Excalibur will generally be better for trails and all around just good. Deathbringer is great for arena and still viable for a lot of bosses and other game content. What's slightly annoying is the fact that Deathbringer has Man Eater effect on it, but Excalibur doesn't have Undead Killer on it. I personally think it should have that trait attached to it.

17. Sorwen

Sorwen VIP VIP

I don't think anyone is saying that Deathbringer is a bad weapon, just that Excalibur has more current and future uses.

I would have hoped for Demon. I think they have about the same total mobs, but demon has more bosses.

18. Akroma

Akroma Well-Known Member Supporter

Leads:
    Firion
    When you guys say trial 9 which is the gundam am i right? Is that really immuned to dark and holy attacks? But i've seen someone beating it to pulp using orlandu @.@ or there is something else?

19. Holic

Holic Ascended Member

About how far is gl away from Gilgamesh?

20. Sustainer

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Orlandeau, Noctis
    Guess month to month and a half.

Holic likes this.