1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Doublehand vs the future. Useful for anyone besides Olive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Xon, May 16, 2018.

1. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

I can't find anyone besides Olive that would benefit from DH in the 7* era. (Bartz TMR, Killian Scarf, DKC STMR, etc)

Am I missing something? The only thing I can think of is if the unit has a 1H weapon TMR, and cant equip FD.

2. Ashlag

Ashlag Please avoid back-to-back posts, do it at once :) Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eTidus DW, eFry, or other cool stuff
    You are missing the future WA that some units will get. As soon as you get a Wield Ability, DH is superior to DW every single times ( but costs more MP ). And TDH is even superior because variance.

S1eww, TheKillingJoke and Xon like this.
  3. Dantz

Dantz CEO of the Anti-Evasion Alliance and Git Gud Club Chocobro VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    eFryevia/GLS/Barb/Seph/Raegen/DL/TT
    Balthier?

Xon likes this.
  4. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

I can see why TDH wins, but when you say "wield", are you referring to stuff like W-Ability? Like cast two abilities? I guess that makes sense. I always wondered if thats better or not since it soaks up more MP, since mana costs start jumping way up and DW starts adding like 170atk weapons into the mix. Is there some units you'd say DH is good on that DW isnt? (If we are still talking about W-Ability.) Or does it largely depend on if units get TDW? (Like mah grrl Loren.)

5. kurizu

kurizu Fina -> Sniper Waifu <3 VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    GL Tidus | JP Hyou
    165|99
    Any unit that will have Trust Master Ability and his TMR is single weapon (like Tidus, Fryevia, DKC, Vargas, Beatrix, Sephiroth, 2B, Aileen Reberta)
    Whether it will be worth keeping that doublehand on these units or not... well it depends of your resources and unit availability... some of these will definetely be worth having dh, some others might already cap with Cloud/Elfreeda tmr so there wont be a place for doublehand.

Nouk, Kyoshiro and Xon like this.
  6. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Ah yeah, good point. I forgot about caps.I just pulled my 4th DKC, so thats what started this. His (great?) STMR is wildly going to depend on a lot of variables, especially the more I look into it.

7. Illidanxxx

Illidanxxx Well-Known Member

Auron because there is no 2 handed katana.

TheRunawayGirl and Xon like this.
  8. FinaLReX

FinaLReX Well-Known Member

Yeah for me it's for my 2nd tidus to chain with my eTidus w/ FD don't have enough for 2 sets of tdh

9. JimmyL

JimmyL VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    FD TDH Tidus
    When 7* hits I think I will use dh tidus if I will use him at all. Brotherhood will have innate dh 100% on 7* tidus as trust ability, I can put up higher atk% materia as 300% dh will be so easy to achieve. Plus innate water element so no need to imbue. Damage may not be as high as FD, I'm not sure about the calculation until it's here.

10. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Yeah, I can see Tidus. I also can see Seph using it too. But I feel like its impossible to find a unit whose TMR is a weapon, and they have W-Ability. The best would be Lenneth, but her weapon is dark element, which is shit, and her Bow doesnt give her bonuses. I guess I'll just hold out for 2B to get W-Ability for 7*.

11. project 86

project 86 VIP VIP

12. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

I thought prompto would want to use FD?

13. Phabyo

Phabyo Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Orlandeau, Trance Terra
    In the 7* meta, most STMRs are one handed weapons...

Jecht: 176 atk great sword
    Loren: 170 atk great sword
    CG Lid: 154 atk hammer
    Hyou: 180 atk great sword
    Auron: 184 atk katana

just to name a few.. They are all one handed weapons, so DH works for them.

CG Ignacio is one of the few units that have a TDH weapon as STMR (170 atk fire DH axe).

14. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Ah, the problem is, STMRs dont get bonuses as just normal TMRs. Like how if you equip Brotherhood from Tidus you get:

+25% Physical Damage to Beast, +25% Physical Damage to Avian, +25% Physical Damage to Demon, +100% Equip ATK Bonus When Two-Handing, 1.25x LB Damage

So the problem is this. If a unit doesn't have/use their one-handed weapon TMR, there is no point to use a 1-handed weapon. Use a 2H weapon, and get the variance bonus damage. So unless they buff DKC's STMR to be TDH, and not just normal DH, it's only very marginally useful to a couple of characters. Even like in Tidus/Aileen's case, you want them to DW since they dont have W-ability, so they can chain. :(

15. Phabyo

Phabyo Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A2, Orlandeau, Trance Terra
    Yes, true.

But units like Hyou, Fey and Jecht (best DH units in JP), their TMRs are not weapons, so you can equip them with any weapons you want. Hyou, for example, you can use a normal GS with 180 atk and use DH gear, or you can use Ultima Weapon (VII) 180 atk DH and use TDH gear.

16. Xon

Xon Ascended Member

Yeah, but it'd be better just to give them a 2H weapon so they can get the 30-60% bonus damage variance that comes with 2H weapons, and still using TDH :(