1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  3. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  4. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Engelbert guide/Build :The strongest character

Discussion in 'Guides' started by RavenZ, Apr 14, 2020.

1. RavenZ

RavenZ Ascended Member

[​IMG]

Want to win every PvP fight and clean every PVE event with 1 single character without lose hp?Want 1 shot every Mediene bothering you in pvp?Engelbert is the character for you.He isn't only the best tank ingame but he is also a great damage dealer and suppport unit .

For fully use Engelbert on his maximum potential i want explain some simple basic mechanics of war of vision .

TP: or technical points has an initial value that is your characterTP+your esper TP simple...it is used for Engelbet support or self buff ability

AP: or attack points has an initial value that is the 18% of your characterAP+ your esper AP,it is an extremly important element for play your Engelbert specially in pvp because you need AP for use your killer ranger moves .Is important you level up your esper to 80 .having least 30 starting AP is very useful.

getting AP and TP in battle: TP is a flat value you can't get it by attacking but you can restore it with some abilities,You get AP when you use your slash attack based on your position ,on side and back it recover more AP ,or 50% of TP you use .So if for example you use a 40TP ability you also gain 20 AP

Active abilities

Paladin

Blade Bash
    :your main attack skill ,it require 20 ap for be used and has a good stunchance rate,it also deal M damage that is usually enough for one shot mages and DD.the downside is it is a close range ability and isn't easy hit experienced pvp players using squishy units.
    Saintly Healing : a 12 TP skill that recover a little potion of hp,the recovered value is to much low for be really useful
    Taunting Blade :the first ranged attack for engelbert ,it deal immense damage and increase the hate ,the range is really high and it allow you to hit virtually almost every enemy ,the downside is this skill cost a massive amount of AP 44 .
    Sentinel :increase Def/Spr for 1 turn and use 20 TP,the amount of def and spt gained is good but it only last one turn,mainly utility for this one is mitigate damage and gain 10 AP
    Divine Grace : an really important game changing skill ,it allow to increase hp of ally close and restore also amount of hp raised,it cost 20 TP,can be useful in both pvp and pve
    Saintly Wall :Now this one is the most important skill for Engelbert ,it create a barrier that reduce phys dmg for 3 times and cost 40TP(mean we earn 20 ap after using this one)
    Immortal spirit : 29 tp ability allow you to survive fatal dmg one time,it is important and must be used in specific situations when you need one last hit and you are missing the ap for deal it.Important for future in pve to

Knight

power/ap/speed/mag/Arm break :
    they are all good skills specially in pve for specific situations ,but Engelbert mobility isn't so good so knight sub job in pvp is really not good at all
    Divine healing :As divine grace increase own max hp and heal amount raised,cost 12 tp...good in pve not in pvp because generally no one try to hit you first anyway ,but some borderline mediena user that sure make damage on him but can't kill him

Monk

Store
    :20 TP skill increase the attack
    Pummel : important 15 ap skill ,it deal low damage really but hit 2 times ,so is useful for all missions requiring 2 hits,he can combo easily with thancred and deal 3 hit combo ,specially on Esper missions that require that.
    Surge Strike : a really good AP skill costing 12 ,it has the taunting blade range but deal only s damage,with monk subjob you can pump a lot your attack anyway ,doing it enough deadly if you have a well built Engelbert
    Terra Slash :now..this one is a really really strong skill cost 30 ap and has a massive range 4 squares in 4 direct directions,it avoid columns and other objects ,due to low ap cost (compared to taunting blade ) and high damage it is ideal for snipe killing squishy enemies in pvp
    Chakra : recover a good amount hp and tp for himself and ally cost 18 TP ,is a good support skill .

Passive and reaction skills

Holy knight protection
    is most important passive skill because increase max hp and def so it is enough mandatory,as second skill we can decide between hp+ and strike mastery.For a monk subjob build i would use strike mastery for normal paladin hp+.Divine protection raise debuff resistance that is on the paper good,but in current meta it is enough useless in both pve and pvp because more of people focus on direct hits and attacks.There are 3 reactions skills and all are enough important but different.Fist counter is a classic counter for phys attack and is decent but we are not going to be often in range for use it,Engelbert destroy every melee unit without this skill,i see utility for this one only in a mirror fight.Paladin's guard ,reduce a lot the physical damage with a percent chance ,it is a good reaction skill and it increase the chance survive to a 2-1 fight in pvp against 2 other melee units.Sword guard is probably my favorite pick ,it has a chance of damage reduction when taking damage,it is useful because it can reduce magical damage taken that is the main Engelberg weakness.

Vision cards

Right now in pve Vow of love is the best card because has a +5 hate ,in pvp you no need hate so there are other picks ,becoming stronger than anyone else has good stats for both attack and hp and if you are playing with 2 casters decrease casting time .Leonis castle is the best pick if your team has least one more physical DD,it also add really a high amount of DEF and SPR

Esper

there isn't a best Esper for Engelbert generally you want use Golem for pve due to passive def % but for pvp you can easily use an phys attack Esper as Ifrit

Conclusion

Engelbert is currently best character in the game and in future also with warrior of light he will be still a top tier character for hard contents requiring a tank,his main weakness is the limited movement and the magical damage enemies but there are workaround for win in pvp abusing of AP mechanic and his ranged skills.

Value Rating

easy Pve contents 8/10
    hard Pve contents 10/10
    pvp 10/10
    Multi 2/10

illy, AustinValentine, Seven and 3 others like this.
  2. Eredar

Eredar Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Bunny
    Spread the Love!! ::rudecat5::::rudecat5::

Seven likes this.
  3. Seifer1009

Seifer1009 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL, Greg WOTV, AK Rain
    My first UR (along with Ayaka). Since then, I've pulled him 2 more times. Should I buy his shards this week or keep my visions for something else ? (20k visions right now)

Seven likes this.
  4. Qlitus

Qlitus "Hall of Fame" Member

I have him but used all my shit on macherie and robb

5. RavenZ

RavenZ Ascended Member

Yes that happen sadly there are many light units and is easy waste resources,Macherie has some utlity but i don't think she is so good,i own robb to and he seem ok just not a super good damage dealers,his health is really low and damage isn't so amazing ,his tmr is nice tho

Qlitus likes this.
  6. Onejah

Onejah That's what she said~ VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Japan ID:
    Leads:
    CG Noctis [JP]
    Mine is only Lv 45 but already tanky as hell ::ink::

A few days and i can break it to Lv 50 then to Lv 55.

7. Seifer1009

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL, Greg WOTV, AK Rain
    Right now mine is level 55. Should be able to awake him to 5* soon.

8. Chrizz

Chrizz "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    154 176 245
    Leads:
    Elena, Charlotte, Circe, Foltra,
    Nice.. I'm at level 63.. working on his 6*..

And already maxed the below abilities:

Blade Bash
    Taunting Blade
    Holy Knight Protection

Hp+

Sword guard
    at level 13. Need more JPs...

He is a beast... Goes to a fight with 3600Hp now...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. Malpka

Malpka Ascended Member

Immortal Spirit - Apparently skill to avoid if you plan to play auto, as it will often so use it for no reason rather than Sentinel, or Saintly Wall
    Divine Grace - this is apparently "do not unlock" skill, as it can cause him run/stay back to/with rest of the team dragging enemies toward him.

As for ranking him

Easy PVE content - 0! you essentially want to speed run those, literally every char with higher move/agi is better here, only reason to drag him around are JP/Exp

Multi - would give more than 2, he is not fast, however I recently was messing with formations and accidentally took him, instead of Medienna, into Etre 2. Good job I did as half of my team was happily dying pretty fast (one of them managed to Esper Nuke Gilgamaesh who was the only other decently high char). If I had used Medienna as usual I think Red skellies would eventually got her. He is not optimal, but will get you through when rest of the room is not strong enough.

10. LrdMalkav

LrdMalkav Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Pulled him at beginning but wasted lot of light resources on thancred now stuck at 65
    Thanks to the re event 2m banner I'm getting back to him
    Excalibur is a very boost for him
    OT
    Realized that's better to focus on UR i ve pulled instead waiting or spending more visiores for super s UR (at very beginning Tancred was ranked higher than Engel) since as free - dolphin player is still long run to have a UR at 90

11. Kujo

Kujo "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Pretty sure Vow of Love works in "Duels" and guild battles, but not "Matches"

Seifer1009 likes this.
  12. Chanx789

Chanx789 New Member

Do you have a list of which skills should be maxed out?

13. RavenZ

RavenZ Ascended Member

ill update the guide tomorrow ,anyway for pvp you need sword guard ,and monk subjob for ranged skills ,holy protection and hp+...sword shash.surge strike,terra shash maxed...dont get chakra or immortal thing,Sainty wall maxed

AustinValentine, Chanx789 and Chrizz like this.
  14. Chanx789

Chanx789 New Member

i'll patiently wait for this update. thanks!!

Giuseppe likes this.
  15. Seifer1009

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL, Greg WOTV, AK Rain
    Rainbow fragments are so rare...I got 5 fragments right now and I don't know what to do first.

Mont : Awake him to level 6 to get his tmr ?
    Engelbert : Actually LB3 (50 shards to LB4) and awaken to level 5...should I use 5 fragments on him first ?

16. Chrizz

Chrizz "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    154 176 245
    Leads:
    Elena, Charlotte, Circe, Foltra,
    Personal opinion:
    If you are using Mont then go for his TMR 1st... if not the do Englebert 1st and get Mont later...

17. KWFFBE

KWFFBE Coffee Monster VIP

Leads:
    Sophia, Elena, 2B, Ultima
    Engelbert was one of my first URs in my group of four... At first I honestly did not like the character, due to how slow he was, and how he didn't tank at all... That was until I came across the hate vision card.... There is apparently a change in store for that incoming, so that may end up hurting him due to how slow he is. As you lose the hate one you get hit and only rebuild up again if Engelbert hits some thing there after to to restore the hate. But for the time being the hate card makes him super strong in PvP and actually rather unbalanced, so I can understand why the hate vision card is seeing a change! I suspect a fair bit of his value may decrease quite substantially when this happens (certainly in automated PvP)...

Additionally considering his slow speed, in PvP, the is literally only one choice when it comes to sub-job... Monk! the range on his abilities help mitigate one of the biggest drawbacks his slow speed which makes it hard for him to get into range of units that will and can kite him around. And has a much lower cost than the taunting blade attack found in his Paladin subjob tree. Given how frequently the AD (Automated Dumbness) likes putting entire teams in a straight line.. Engelbert can and will destroy a single enemy pvp team with one well placed Terra Strike...