1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Enhanced SS Charlotte vs free lightning

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by Hicke, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Hicke

Hicke Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno of the beta star
    So i dont have cecil and my question is should i invest into enhancing charlotte or shes just outclassed and not worthy?

2. iBuko

iBuko “Common sense is not that common” VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    No. Cecil is better.

3. Ashlag

Ashlag Avoid political talk here, it's a landmine Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Great shit, I swear
    19x
    And he doesn't have Cecil. If you have Lightning XIII, you should be fine without enhancing Charlotte.

Cylian and Skye like this.
  4. iBuko

iBuko “Common sense is not that common” VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    868 418 572
    Omg I misread. My bad...
    Imo in this case, you should ehnance her.

She became very good after ehnancements.
    But yes, Lightning is a good tank too. And free.

Cylian, Nixilu and TheKillingJoke like this.
  5. Absolem

Absolem "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Yun, A.Fryevia, Bartz, Gladio, others.
    Lightning should do the job but enhanced Charlotte is strictly better than her. Unless you need those side AMoE chains, you'd better enhance and use Charlotte instead.

Nixilu, Skye and TheKillingJoke like this.
  6. Hicke

Hicke Well-Known Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno of the beta star
    ive been using lightning lately and she feels like she bring no utility to my team

7. Masvroh

Masvroh "an elder brother" VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Trance Terra, A2, Hyoh, Lilith
    She is worthy to enhance. Her enhancement makes her on par with Cecil effective HP wise. Cecil has 75% general mitigation + 60% average cover mitigation which are very strong to endure damage. While Charlotte has 50% general mitigation + 75% average cover mitigation, pretty close.

I didn't count magic mitigation however. But Charlotte wins in effective HP if we count her on-demand 40% magic mitigation while Cecil does not have one on-demand. Though, external magic mitigation from other units is not rare anymore so practically Cecil still wins if you have such units in your team.

In term of supports, Cecil wins in elements protection as he can protect you from any elements (availability). And he is such a good MP battery.

Charlotte wins as magic mitigator. That's solid.

Cylian, Nixilu, Skye and 1 other person like this.
  8. Prime2u

Prime2u Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    I like cecil’s big magic mitigation for turns when Inknow I’ll need it in the next two, like thresholds. It’s easy to find another source of 30-40% mag mitigation, rare to find another source of 70%+

Masvroh and EchoEchoPotato like this.
  9. Pristan

Pristan Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    If you
    1) aren't using AMoE for DD
    2) don't need lightning resists and buffs
    OR
    3) aren't needing lightning damage
    It wouldn't feel like she does much.
    The moment one of those feels more important than
    1) ice or light resists and buffs
    2) ice or light side damage
    AND
    3) magic mitigation
    You should reach for Lighting and until then or you get a Cecil, Charlotte will be perfectly serviceable and the enhancements help if you aren't able to quite gear her as much as you need (keeping her HP high while getting status resists for example) or need faster times getting her up and running (double cast cover and resist buffs turn 1).
    Also, good news, although YMMV, if I put into the builder asking for the best gear for a purpose for either, I almost always get the same results, ie both want to use Overture as a weapon and want to use Mind Protector as their armor slot if I need high MeHP, etc. They use the same gear so it really never seems like I'm asking anything but what kit is better for this? Makes it easier to determine which is better for what.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    EchoEchoPotato likes this.
  10. Enzo

Enzo VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Fryevia, Lilith, Olive
    Enhanced SS Charlotte's cd skill is actually a somewhat Nerfed version of Paladin Cecil's (in regard to the elemental resistance buffs). 80% magic damage mitigation (instead of Cecil's 75%) to all allies for 2 turns (same as Cecil's), but with only light and ice for elemental resistance (instead of Cecil's all element resistance). Her other problem is that the cd ability is the only way to unlock get W-ability (other than by dying and reviving)

And the only source for on demand aoe 40% magic damage mitigation is Lunafreya. There are a lot more choices for 30-35% though.

I'm not downplaying Paladin Cecil. I'm just saying that Enhanced SS Charlotte is a pretty good alternative for those that don't have him.

As for OP's question, my opinion is that you should enhance Charlotte if you have the resources to spare. She has a lot more utility compared to lightning. Lightning's main advantages over Charlotte is for lightning resistance or imperil, and acting as a support chainer for AMOE chains.

Something to keep in mind is that SS Charlotte's lb automatically activates her cover. This may be a good thing for when you want 50% general mitigation and cover up after getting dispelled by the boss, or a bad thing if you're going for a double tank strategy with aoe physical cover needed over magic cover. In such cases, you'll want to use lightning instead since her lb doesn't activate her cover.

Do keep in mind that both lightning and Charlotte (unenhanced) can be used to clear all of the current trials where magic tanks are needed, so long as you have the necessary gear (usually for elemental resistance) for the specific trials. Enhance Charlotte if you have the resources to spare, and only if you feel she's lacking the bulk you need to finally clear a trial.

11. victor sant

victor sant "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    437 540 226
    Leads:
    Edward, XuanWu, Kryla, Physalis
    Sure, as is Non enhanced charlotte.

The point is that her enhancements improvements are minimal. You get more bulk, one turn extension for the CD... and that is it. More bulk is nice but nothing gamebreaking. And in terms of utility she is pretty underwhelming. She basically covers and AoE mitigation, wich Lightning also does with similar efficiency.

I wouldn't waste cryst on her, specially on this long streak without story events. Unhenhanced charlotte or Lightning will perform mostly the same as enhanced charlotte.

Cylian likes this.
  12. Nixilu

Nixilu Ultimate Doll Collector VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    As many others have said, SSC isn't outclassed by Lightning. She's worth enhancing and is still good even if you don't enhance her.

Cylian and EchoEchoPotato like this.
  13. Absolem

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    To be fair, Cecil's is 4 elements only, not all. And Charlotte's W-cast is up at the start of battle, so it's still pretty easy to maintain.

14. seilaoque

seilaoque VIP VIP

Global ID:
    Leads:
    DPS for latest trial.
    19x
    2 turns duration on cooldown is huge (and 80% is higher than cecil's 75%... should be a general 20% extra damage mitigation for the team over Cecil's if you have other sources of elemental resist or doesn't really need it)
    as is the 40% mag mitigation on demand (and this even Cecil is lacking)
    if you use her and is not really, really low on resources, no reason not to enhance her, though.

Cecil is surely the stronger unit in a vacuum, but right now it seems like Charlotte is just better when against non elemental magic damage.

15. PrezObama

PrezObama "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Prez
    Flipping between light an dark mode he provides 80% resistance against all elements.

Absolem likes this.
  16. Absolem

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    My bad, should have known better.

17. Cylian

Cylian "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    XWQL main.
    198ish
    Hi, forum-mate. :D

I am a simpleton as always, so to keep it short - do you, the player using Charlotte right now, feel that the unit is not strong enough to tank comfortably and help your team survive?

If your answer is "no", and you dont have Cecil, then it's a good idea to enhance her, since you would still be using her as your "strongest" (subjective term here) tank.
    Technically correct, forum-mate. I enhanced Charlotte only because I had just celebrated using Charlotte for a year, ha. ::blackmage:: Have never door-ed her too.

Had survived all trials (more or less) without the enhancements. Strictly speaking, the enhancements dont do much for the player. I was low on Tech cryst, so that 40% MAG mitigate was unenhanced.

One big plus point for Charlotte is that she could dw-AR (for DV) in the past, and now, perhaps she just needs to w-cast the AR chain. Like others said, if you needed AMoE chaining instead, simply use free Lightning then. Pros and cons in all units, as always.

18. Rafster

Rafster Ascended Member

Global ID:
    512 039 860
    Leads:
    NV Tifa
    Enhance her, and change between charlotte and lightning depending on the fight. That's what I've been doing. But I use more charlotte than lightning, she has been my main mag tank since her banner. Now with the enhancements, she is a lot better. The lack of W-cast really hurt her.

19. Dragoon87

Dragoon87 Ascended Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Raegen, Zargabath, Yuna, Noctis
    Rena's a healer and covers that

Masvroh likes this.
  20. Weekendlover

Weekendlover Active Member

Enhanced cg charlotte with her higher magic mitigation ,upgraded lb and the fact that she can defend on top of that now makes her the best magic tank in game when it comes to taking damage. Id enhanced her and drop lightning unless you need her imperil.

Cylian likes this.