1. New rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

F2P Guide to Success by Chibiiii

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Chibi Noctis, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:24 AM.

Tags:
  1. Chibi Noctis

Chibi Noctis Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Tidus, Emperor, Cloud, Olive
    ::comeatme::

I've been noticing that since the 2nd Anniversary began, there are a lot of new players coming to the game, and awesomely enough, to the forums. So, I figured I would share a little bit of what I know about successfully playing the game as a F2P player for those people who want to advance without spending.

::raegen:: THE STORY IS YOUR FRIEND ::raegen::

This is becoming more and more common in most any F2P mobile game, but even more so on FFBE.
    The story in this game will be your primary source of obtaining lapis, espers, and some important items to help with later progression in trials.
    As tedious as it can be, completing all of the available story, and important quest chains will prove helpful later down the line.
    Doing this will also give new players a good grasp on gameplay mechanics that will be required to perform in trials, etc.

::snap::BFFS ::snap::

That's right. Friends.
    If you're reading this, then you're already doing one thing right.
    Make friends. A good friend unit could be the difference between success and failure.
    Don't be afraid to ask people on the forum to add you, and try to fill your friend list with people that can help you clear content. You may not spend, but others do. ;)

King Mog event units give bonuses when clearing the event stages, so keep an eye out for them before each run. Also, be sure to repay the favor and place YOUR bonus unit as lead for friends.

::search:: RESEARCH ::search::

I really can't stress how important this one is.
    The forums alone are filled with guides, unit reviews, and links to outside resources to help you get ahead in FFBE.
    Going into a trial costs energy. Energy refills cost lapis.

Climbing in the arena costs orbs. Orb refills cost lapis.
    Summoning costs lapis.
    And being F2P means you have made the decision to play the game without purchasing lapis. That being said, your resources are limited and its best that you don't go into a trial blind, or pull on a banner without knowing the future proof rating of the units you're going for.
    Research the forums and use the resources to make sure you don't waste resources like the all important Season 1 100% Trust Moogle. Or waste lapis pulling for a unit that will lose its usefulness by the end of the banner event.
    Its also helpful to look at the JP (Japan) version section of the forum to prepare for future unit releases that suit your needs. What your units can't do now, they may be able to do at a later date, and JP is sometimes the best way to check for such changes.
    It'll allow you to gauge when and how to begin saving your lapis for future summons, etc.
    Again, research is probably the most important part of being a F2P player.

::damn::BUT I WANT UNITS! ::damn::

Now now.
    Being F2P doesn't mean not summoning.
    The game gives away tons of tickets and bonuses. Free summon periods and the like. You can even get 10+1 Tickets for logging in all month.
    Take advantage of your 1/2 daily summon, event rewards, and the like to help build your team.
    Trust me, its much easier to build your team like this now than it used to be.
    And if done right with RESEARCH, you can use these and still manage to save your lapis for those big boi banners.
    For Example:

::blackmage::STORY EVENTS::blackmage::
    Story events can provide ability awakening materials, summon tickets, Trust Moogles, gear, and over 3,000 for full completion.
    These things are amazing. As a F2P player, these will end up being your best friend late game.

::mog::KING MOG::mog::
    Remember those tickets we were talking about? Oh yes.
    Okay, so maybe you're not interested in the banner unit, right? That's okay. You can use whatever units get a bonus from the event to help farm up event currency.
    King Mog sells almost everything in moderation. Even some TMRs.
    You can use the tickets from these events to either build up a stockpile for an upcoming banner, or use them on the current banner, whichever best suits your needs.
    Not buying lapis makes tickets your go-to source of summoning. So its always good to keep an eye on what's going on with King Mog over in the Farplane.

::scream::RAIDS::scream::

Raids also offer plenty of rewards through raid summons and event point rewards.
    However, raid participation costs raid orbs, you get 5, and they cost 100 lapis to refresh without cooldown.
    This can get pretty expensive if you're trying to climb the point tier. So try to justify a reason to spend the lapis to keep refreshing orbs without waiting for them to refill.
    If the rewards are lackluster or only partly beneficial to you, I wouldn't go crazy refreshing raid orbs.

::win::VICTORY?!::win::

Maybe.
    A resounding maybe.
    The thing about being a F2P player is that, once again, you're not spending money.
    So don't be disappointed if you're not always on top of the meta. It happens.
    Being a F2P player, you're going to be depending completely on your own skill, and RNG.
    That's just how it works.
    It may take longer for you to obtain top tier units and TMR. But you will get there eventually. The best part of this game having so many units is available is that you don't have to pull ONE unit to accomplish something.
    Yes, TMR are unit specific, but there are lots of them.
    Keep an eye on your resources. Research before you act, and you'll be able to clear the same content as everyone else in time.

RainbowAnimated
    HAVE FUN RainbowAnimated

Most importantly, have fun.
    Enjoy the game and the nostalgic feel of playing with your favorite Final Fantasy characters.

::kefka::END::kefka::

If I missed an important aspect of surviving as a F2P player, feel free to DM me or comment on the thread.

I'll also make time to respond to any questions direct to my DM box.

::win::Chibi::win::

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM
  2. DarkStarSquall

DarkStarSquall Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Sephiroth or something for Events
    pretty nice guide but i would recommend not using the daily half price deal. Its better to wait for some step ups or summons with increased rainbow rates.

3. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    A good portion of my rainbows have come from the daily half off pull. So I was mostly posting from the experiences of myself, my wife, and brother.

dona, Absolem and lcieThanatos like this.
  4. DarkStarSquall

DarkStarSquall Member

Global ID:
    Leads:
    TDH Sephiroth or something for Events
    well i tried and never got one but maybe iam not f2pish enough to have some luck on half price deals. xD
    Maybe you could add some information about units with bonus % for events in your "bffs" section.

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  5. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Done. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Arekusu

Arekusu Ascended Member

I think the whole mentality changes if you’re F2P. I never use 1/2 summons because I hoard, save, and supplement with occasional purchases for the heavy hitter banners.

F2P, I think you take what you can get, at least in the beginning. If you need any old rainbow and lots of them, 1/2 is by far the way to go. As we go along and get a team more fleshed out, that’s when we target specifics and start to ignore 1/2 dailies.

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  7. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Right? I sometimes skip banners entirely. Dailies and all. But this is more targeted at the newer players, who are going to need to take advantage of every option they can.

8. Absolem

Absolem Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    737 567 686
    Leads:
    Fry mostly, bonus units otherwise.
    This, pretty much. I play as a F2P for a little more than one year and a half, and I almost never skipped a daily, even on unwanted banners. Half price means more summons, and that's a way better deal than saving for 5k summons and get salty. Plus, you will still be able to do 10+1 pulls once in a while.

Great F2P guide, BTW !

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  9. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Thank you very much. :)

10. RenShin

RenShin Ascended Member Supporter

Leads:
    TTerra/OK/Noct/kmevent
    WOW! NICE GUIDE!

now you reminded me of my plan that is unfinished for months.....

but seriously. this is good.

TIPS, ADVICE and EXPLANATIONS - contents:
    1) Main Advice for Beginners: Story
    2) Lapis
    3) Bundles *
    4) Vortex (--my document is only up to here--)
    - Special Vortex
    - Enhancements
    - Limited Time
    - Trials
    - Events
    6) Friends
    - Friends List/Add/Search
    7) Trophies
    8) Creation
    9) Expedition
    10) Arena
    11) UNITS
    12) ESPERS
    13) Arena
    14) Forum Special (Tips and Advice)

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  11. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Thanks a lot! And I wouldn't mind seeing what you post in your guide. I'll also help if I can. ::rudecat11::

12. RenShin

Leads:
    TTerra/OK/Noct/kmevent
    its been months since i left it... i see "december" in it so probably the last time i touched it was december..... gonna try to finish it when i have time then im going to link this post. ::rudecat11::

i need something to remember this post.... maybe ill just bookmark this...

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  13. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    ::rudecat4:: Must not forget ze chibi one.

RenShin likes this.
  14. RenShin

Leads:
    TTerra/OK/Noct/kmevent
    ofcourse. this info helps ::rudecat11::

tho i would say "250 DAILY SUMMON: Pull at your OWN RISK"

Fahri99, Pebbles and Chibi Noctis like this.
  15. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    That's any summon though.

16. Joules

Joules Well-Known Member

Wait, if with "supplement with occasional purchases" you mean spending money on lapis you aren't f2p by definition, right? Am I missing a meme here?

17. RenShin

Leads:
    TTerra/OK/Noct/kmevent
    i had a trauma on daily half pull during chow banner so ! .....

and its easier to hoard lapis... i manage to hoard 30k without pulling on continuous banners (after tomb raider and before CG KM)
    then cg anniv (no fina or lid 25k + coin) + ff8..... 0 lapis after lap 1 step 5 but i got 2 rinoa so ez.

currently finishing story event.....

Chibi Noctis likes this.
  18. Chibi Noctis

Global ID:
    Leads:
    I usually let the story go through 3 updates and then grind it out. But story events give plenty of lapis to live off of until big banners.

19. Arekusu

Arekusu Ascended Member

I’m not F2P, that’s my point. The strategy changes when you can’t supplement yourself with occasional paid lapis.

If you’re just starting out or F2P, the 1/2 daily is much more valuable to you.

20. Joules

Joules Well-Known Member

Ah yeah I agree. I misunderstood you, my bad :p.

Arekusu likes this.