1. Rules regarding the forum and the chatbox can be found here!. Our most recent update: here!.
  2. Want more banners on your profile? You can achieve the Arena Runner Up and Monthly Arena Champ banner now in the Monthly Arena Contest! If you want to participate, click on the link here
  3. Be part of the campaign rinny launched, now hosted by Memel0rd, and earn a new banner on the forum, The Supporter Campaign! - Check out the thread for more details Here
  4. Interested or play the JP version of ffbe? Join the discussions in our JP section here!.
  5. We now have our own Discord Server up and running! For more information, go to the thread here!.

Event FFBE Unit and Monster Design Contest

Discussion in 'News & Events' started by Carnefix, Jul 10, 2019.

1. fireflyege

fireflyege "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    I like the idea except I would tone down a little considering the boss has Blood Moon's physical immunity, non elemental immunity AND Sadalsuud mechanics to boot. If the resistance buffs only last for that turn, then it is great since you can pick mages and switch elements each turn which makes an interesting play. I can see tactics like mages waiting the resistance to come off with doing something else or switching elements if they do not need to have a specific ability stacked with consecutive use. However, if it is permanent then I would say it is the case of what kind of mage can one shot the boss which makes a really oppressive and unfun experience for most players. I am sure many can OTKO it but when the boss itself forces people to OTK him it quickly becomes obnoxious to deal with.

I like the idea but its execution is rather poor if you ask me, considering Petrify is coded as a death state and with that I mean if all units are dead or petrified, it is KO so it being petrified would mean an instant win. To offset that, there must be insane missions like killing it in more than X turns or so which are not the best quests if you ask me because even then it becomes a stall with 6 defensive units waiting to use Toxic Rain to petrify it. Not to mention the White Dragon taught Gumi and Alim to always make their bosses immune to poison.

With that being said, status ailment usage is actually great and for that I would like to take Demon Wall trial as an example. It isn't really affected by Gravity but attempting to do so produces effects so this boss can also be like that. I would make it like if you attempt to inflict a status effect to a boss and the infliction check from your skill succeeds the boss would weaken itself in some form in the next turn even if the boss is naturally immune to it.

2. ChaosDragon88

ChaosDragon88 Ascended Member

Hello, thanks a ton for your feedback : )

You are right, i'm an idiot, completely forgot how petrify would be autowin even if it works for one turn only... I should specify it's resistant to petrify then...

In my idea, the resistances lasts 'forever'. Thing is, if you deal evoke damage, of any element, it will always work and the boss won't retaliate to your attacks. That's the 'easy' route.

However, since evoke damage is rather 'rare', you can also damage the boss following a magic damage route. But, the magic damage route will have many downsides, as you said.

I don't think it will force OTKO strategies though...
    For example, you can paralyze him and deal magic damage and he will skip an entire turn.
    You can use a magic tank with reraise and give the boss 'blind' so that it will only deal magic damage for the turn and the magic tank will take it all.
    You can Evoke Bahaut to gain one free turn.
    Excetera... there should be tons of possibilities to make the fight longer due to the ailments you can give the boss.

Thanks for your time, I'll try to fix the boss a bit :)

3. Easily Dead Ninja

Easily Dead Ninja New Member

I just submitted my entry. I'm not a great artist and my drawings are a bit sketchy, but I had an idea for a very unique boss battle. A necromancer Tonberry. Any time one of your unit that dies in battle they are summoned as an enemy you must fight too. Additionally it makes the boss more powerful. Killing those summoned units before the main boss makes his "Everyone's Grudge" attack stronger, so you have to balance killing the boss vs. adds.
    http://fav.me/dde40av

4. ChaosDragon88

ChaosDragon88 Ascended Member

I really like that Soul Harvest mechanic = D

5. Yunny

Yunny "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    phy/mag/hybrid dps
    >175
    That illustration is amazing :).

6. riquemg

riquemg VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno
    I'm not good (for real, I'm very very amateur), but I would want try something, only to enjoy this and practice a little bit.

Then, I the last days, I'm trying to draw a tank. Today, I had an another ideia and put it in the paper. It's very simple, but I like it.

Enjoy:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/TyN1VBk

ChaosDragon88 and Yunny like this.
  7. Shadowschild

Shadowschild Ascended Member

While I appreciate your efforts you put more thought into it's skills, the sprite has zero personality. At least put a weapon or armor for tmr. They only want the sprite, think you missed the whole point here...

8. One Endless Pit

One Endless Pit Ascended Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Malphasie, Akstar
    Yunny, ChaosDragon88 and Carnefix like this.
  9. fireflyege

fireflyege "Hall of Fame" Member

Global ID:
    Well, for me the sprite is not the problem. It is the story. He basically licked the boots of the espers until they became best buds and granted him eternal life which FFBE espers probably can't do. Espers are powerful and that is a given fact but they are nowhere near a deity. Of course there are people like the Sworn Eight but I doubt espers are spending their free time with immortalizing experimentations either. However, Shiva as a MILF scientist sounds pretty funny.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  10. Yunny

Yunny "Hall of Fame" Member Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    phy/mag/hybrid dps
    >175
    Wow, I like the art style!

One Endless Pit likes this.
  11. riquemg

riquemg VIP VIP Supporter

Global ID:
    Leads:
    Zeno
    Someone can clarify this to me?

"Create an original character design together with the character’s name, category, and your inspiration for the design"

"Transparent background"

The name, category, and my inspiration must be in the image ? Or the image should contain only transparent background character?

12. Carnefix

Carnefix Moderator Staff Member Moderator VIP Supporter German Moderator Arena Runner Up S2 Arena Runner-Up S1

Global ID:
    416 022 660
    Leads:
    Zeno, Esther, Circe, Cid
    Look here on the entry formular:

13. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    Esther, Hyoh, Bart, Barbariccia
    Didn't remember there was a megathread for unit design submissions. Here's my submission:

[​IMG]

She's a magical attacker (Summoner) with some unique elements to her kit and would be the first summoner I can think of to actually incorporate summoning into her rotation.

(yes I'm aware that Gumi doesn't want kit suggestions)

14. Danziger

Danziger VIP VIP

Global ID:
  15. Tyro

Tyro Ascended Member

I was too busy with work to submit a design, which I really wanted to.

With the submissions, why are people making up abilities with their descriptions? The submission rules clearly stated that none if that would be considered ny Gumi.

16. valar

valar Ascended Member

Leads:
    Esther, Hyoh, Bart, Barbariccia
    Even if the abilities aren't taken into consideration by Gumi, the abilities can help give everyone else a feel for the unit beyond just the art. Also, designing abilities is fun and supposedly submissions aren't going to be penalized for it.